Opaque v trans tip dry

Yep I have been, this is whats frustrating.
Don't let it be frustrating, just keep telling yourself that we all do it at the beginning. There's so much to learn and what started to work for me is that I'd start a piece and really focus on just one element that I wanted to try to master. If it was keeping the air on all the time, that would be my main focus and thats what I wanted to learn from the piece. If I screwed up lines because of one thing or another, that would then be the focus of the next time. Taking it one step at a time worked for me.

You nailed it @SiRoxx, it’s all just one step at a time, walk before you run etc etc.
Muscle memory will come with time and then one day you realize you’re not focusing on keeping the air on, your just doing it automatically, then you realize you’ve stopped focusing on where you’re stopping and starting your paint, it’s just happening.
We’ve all been there, it just a part of the frustrating part of learning something.

You nailed it @SiRoxx, it’s all just one step at a time, walk before you run etc etc.
Muscle memory will come with time and then one day you realize you’re not focusing on keeping the air on, your just doing it automatically, then you realize you’ve stopped focusing on where you’re stopping and starting your paint, it’s just happening.
We’ve all been there, it just a part of the frustrating part of learning something.
Preach Sister!

Its frustrating but enjoyable.
It isn’t either like a bad frustratig, just a roll of the eyes and a tut lol
Yeah I get what your saying, honestly i’m not rushing. I’m sticking to the parts of the training vid I need to and not moving on till I improve.
I was just doing really well until the opaque black caught me a bit off guard.

Its frustrating but enjoyable.
It isn’t either like a bad frustratig, just a roll of the eyes and a tut lol
Yeah I get what your saying, honestly i’m not rushing. I’m sticking to the parts of the training vid I need to and not moving on till I improve.
I was just doing really well until the opaque black caught me a bit off guard.
That’s the way it’s got to be. I’m glad that’s how you’re finding it. That’s how it is for me and exactly what it was like learning guitar for example. I made horrible noises lol and it was frustrating, but not enough that I didn’t want to try again every opportunity I got. It all pays off in the end.

That’s the way it’s got to be. I’m glad that’s how you’re finding it. That’s how it is for me and exactly what it was like learning guitar for example. I made horrible noises lol and it was frustrating, but not enough that I didn’t want to try again every opportunity I got. It all pays off in the end.

Most definitely, i started my job without any training or qualifications and an absolute mountain to climb. Been doing it 7 years nearly and make it look easy so we are all capable of anything we put our minds too.
Also play a little guitar, learned on acoustic which just getting over your fingers being torn to bits was more than frustrating lol

Most definitely, i started my job without any training or qualifications and an absolute mountain to climb. Been doing it 7 years nearly and make it look easy so we are all capable of anything we put our minds too.
Also play a little guitar, learned on acoustic which just getting over your fingers being torn to bits was more than frustrating lol
If you’re able to attack learning things like that, you’ll be slinging paint without thinking twice in no time Buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m running at around 15 psi, I have found that about right.
If I run it at 20-25 and do any work closer to the canvas I find I get spidering.
With Mitch’s exercises you start at around 10cm then move in closer so at 25psi when i’m close I just get problems.
Running the opaque black I tried upping the air pressure but still got issues with tip dry even running it at 20psi. You’d start off getting a consistent flow with a small ammount of trigger control but with each line you’d have to pull the trigger further back to get the same ammount of flow........veryvery annoying
Nope that is the joy of airbrushing LOL Black and white are best know for the amount of tip dry you get. Being Com-art's reducer is water try having a small mixing cup of water with just a touch of Alcohol in it and a q-tip , Dip the q-tip in the water mix and every few minutes dab it over the needle area.
It does not matter if it is water base or urethane they all give tip dry.

Thanks Mr Micron
I’ll get some alcohol next time i’m at the shop.
Thanks for all the tips guys.....i’m going to try the water today in the opaque and see if it performs better and have also found some windsor and newton flow improver for acrylics that is meant to work really well with airbrushing so will get a bottle of that and give it a go.

Quick update
The few drops of water in the paint seems to work fairly well. Still getting a little bit of tip dry but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.
Mixing about two-three drops of water into a third of a cup of paint.
Will try and reduce the amount of water to see how much I need to add.
Thanks for all the help again.........wifes gone out so practice,practice and more practice :D

Quick update
The few drops of water in the paint seems to work fairly well. Still getting a little bit of tip dry but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.
Mixing about two-three drops of water into a third of a cup of paint.
Will try and reduce the amount of water to see how much I need to add.
Thanks for all the help again.........wifes gone out so practice,practice and more practice :D
Atta Boy. That’s the best way to figure out any colour or different brand of paint. Take some time to do some lines, make small changes to reduction / pressure and you’ll soon get the hang of it. It’s only in the last couple of months that I’ve got to a point where I’m comfortable properly reducing for me. Of course there are still times when I’m taken by surprise, but at least now I know what to do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m managing to pull half decent fades with the opaque now so it’s all good.
I think maybe 10-1 ratio seems to be ok with mixing the water to improve the tip dry fairy dramaticaly but i’ll keep soldiering on.
My vertical lines are looking 100% better, still every now and then i miss where I’m aiming by a few mm but i’m getting the hang of the control.
I’m enyoying myself but the wife looks annoyed that i’m ignoring her lol

I’m managing to pull half decent fades with the opaque now so it’s all good.
I think maybe 10-1 ratio seems to be ok with mixing the water to improve the tip dry fairy dramaticaly but i’ll keep soldiering on.
My vertical lines are looking 100% better, still every now and then i miss where I’m aiming by a few mm but i’m getting the hang of the control.
I’m enyoying myself but the wife looks annoyed that i’m ignoring her lol
I have a sulk going on home as well.... (not my fault promise) .... grin.... All I wanna do is AB!!, Not cooking and cleaning or laundry... AB! I think the rest household don't think I am funny!.... Not my circus, not my monkeys!

Okay tomorrow I will give attention on the home front, tonight I have another project to finish first... lol

I have a sulk going on home as well.... (not my fault promise) .... grin.... All I wanna do is AB!!, Not cooking and cleaning or laundry... AB! I think the rest household don't think I am funny!.... Not my circus, not my monkeys!

Okay tomorrow I will give attention on the home front, tonight I have another project to finish first... lol

Just keep plugging away, it’ll come good.
Mitch’s total control course is well worth it.
Just for watching his movements you’ll pick good technique up from watching him work.

Just keep plugging away, it’ll come good.
Mitch’s total control course is well worth it.
Just for watching his movements you’ll pick good technique up from watching him work.
Oh I am like a hungry wolf where it comes to @airbrushtutor tutorial and training video's! From creating a workspace right through to shapes, texture and technique, watch them over and over again... do think this is why I progressed so much in the last 6 weeks. Right now I have a different challenge... but searching through previous post first to see if I can resolve it before asking for advise from the masters...

My girlfriend loves it when I go outside and paint... it keeps me out of her hair!

Back