For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Overspray on my dots?

Discussion in 'How to Control an Airbrush' started by John Michael Streithorst, Feb 22, 2016.

1. John Michael Streithorst

John Michael Streithorst Young Tutorling

okay,

I am using Golden Fluid opaque black diluted 1:1 with golden's own thinner. Iwata HP-CS 0.3 needle and preassures from 25 to 15 psi. Distance was about 10 cm.

Got lots of overspray. Any thoughts?

20160222_003706699_iOS.jpg 20160222_003614955_iOS.jpg
  2. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

Still too thick. Reduce more. I generally start using Createx Illustration at 5:1 or more and it's a lot thinner than Golden Fluid.
  3. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

At 10cm the spray will be large, this is normal and something you need to account for when painting
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  4. John Michael Streithorst

5:1?! OK, will try that. Any thoughts on air pressure?
  5. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

This is how I think of it......

the lower you set the psi the greater you have to reduce, but it means less overspray (good for the painting and your lungs)

there are times I've seen some people go 1:20 (paint:reducer) and 10psi when doing fine detail. it just means more passes to get the colour intensities you are after.

reduction ratios will vary depending on the brand /type of paint you are using, needle size being used, current air temp and humidity you are experiencing.

unfortunately no magic recipe.
  6. John Michael Streithorst

Thanks to all! This is very helpfull. Will set my pressure to 15 psi and increase reduction from 4:1 and up.
  7. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

The further away from the paper you get the greater the dot size and the more obvious the over spray. For the set up you're using that looks pretty normal.
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

That's not overspray, it's just the paint that is too thick as what's been mentioned. Even with thinner paint the spray pattern will still be that size but much smoother. Everything not directly under the tip is overspray. You need to learn to control with either the direction you are shooting or with distance or by blocking it out with shields or masks.
  9. John Michael Streithorst

Thank you AndreZA. That makes sense and is consistent with what I observed. I reduced the paint to 5:1 and the spray patern is the same, but as you said, smoother.

Once again, thanks to all of you. This has been very helpfull.
  10. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Overspray is a widely used term but most often it's in regard to paint going where it isn't wanted. I'm not sure how you are using the term overspray here, but if it's in regard to the width of the dot that it's just the spray pattern of your airbrush. Going closer and playing around with the airpressure can make it larger or smaller but other than that it's just wat your brush does (and what makes it possible to make those nice fades)

The spray patter itself isn't "realy nice" though (very "spickly"). It should give a smooth transition from dark to light. This is probably down to a combination of reduction (paint too thick or losing viscosity) and airpressure. getting a hold of that is part of the learning process I'm afraid.

The following might be interesting: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/transparants-opaques-reducing-and-viscosity.12903/
  11. John Michael Streithorst

That was very usefullDutchairbrush, thank you.

By overspray I meant the small paint "points" outside the Dot itself. I would imagine that the effect that I am getting would make a shade around the dot itself...