For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Paashe vl sputters

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Darrell Cook, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Darrell Cook

Darrell Cook Young Tutorling

My vl has started sputtering. Good continuous air spray. Even using pure thinner, it pulses/sputters. I have taken apart and cleaned every orafice I can find.
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Well done Darrell:thumbsup: you must be very proud:)
  3. Darrell Cook

... SO any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
  4. Barquester

Barquester Elite Member! Elite Member!

I would first suspect the air valve at the intake.
  5. Malky

Sorry I thought you were just making a statement after curing the problem since there wasn't a question mark or actual question:)

There are very many reasons this is happening, but you need to supply a lot more info, for example, what pressure are you spraying at and does you compressor have a tank? and what paint are you blowing through your brush? is your paint specifically for airbrush?

Among others, you may have missed an "Orifice" while cleaning, your nozzle could have a minor blockage even after several cleaning attempts, could be that your nozzle or needle aren't seated properly after reassembly, if your compressor doesn't have a tank you could have pulsing at the head or something hasn't been sealed or replaced properly, if your paint isn't airbrush specific you can also expect clogging and other issues, so with out more info and maybe photos of what happens when you spray, there isn't much more to say I'm afraid.

I would first suspect that there is nothing at all wrong in that area since he stated quite clearly (good continuous air spray)o_O
  6. Darrell Cook

7. Darrell Cook

Spraying various pressures. Usually around
    30psi working pressure. Pump has a tank. Constant air. Good air flow when push down on trigger, but when pull back, sputters. Does this with airbrush paint (Vallejo air) or just water/ thinner. May buy a new needle and tip Assembly but have tried two different sizes. There is a packing where the needle goes through the body. I have not done anything with this nor the packing where the hose attaches to the brush.
  8. Malky

The needle packing won't have any influence in what the head does so unless you can see paint behind it in the rigger housing, nothing wrong there, don't be too quick to buy new needles/nozzles unless you want to have spares around as most people would, I have used Vallejo air back in my modelling days and it needed quite a lot of thinning even through a 0.35 nozzle, but if your having the same problem with just water or thinner I'm sure you either just still have dirt in the nozzle which has dried up or your nozzle may be missing a seal and is seated too far back, you could try a tiny slither of PTFE tape around the thread of the nozzle to bring just forward of the cap, check the needle itself for damage at the front, if it has slight hook or bend that will also affect performance, and around the nozzle cap and nozzle you have a tiny circular ring of space, check that that space is clean a free from debris, it common to push paint into that space while back flushing.

If your paint is old, I don't mean you bought it years ago but some paints have been on the shelf for a long time before they are sold (they normally save those ones for me) , you could have debris in the paint from the paint drying on the sides of the bottle, I don't know if you are doing this but many of us strain the paints before putting the brush to avoid this issue.

If you don't already have one, a jewellers' loupe or strong magnifying glass is always handy for checking your nozzle and needle tip.

If you could get a couple of photos of what your spray pattern and affect looks like, we can any be narrow this down even more for you.

I have never personally owned a paasche but I've read her from many who have here that despite having been one of the top brands, the quality of modern/new models have taken quite a dive, we've had several paasche related questions here..

Try soaking your nozzle in some cellulose thinners or acetone (nail polish remover) for an hour so, if it doea have a seal, remove that first, if there is anything in there it will dissolve and then just reassemble the brush and run your normal cleaner through before trying it out again.

Let us know how it goes:)
  9. Darrell Cook

Thanks for the reply. Will try the nail polish remover. Also bubbles coming into the paint cup.
  10. Malky

Definitely dirt then:) when you put your nozzle back on after cleaning and then the cap over it, if your run your finger over it with the needle out, you should be able to feel the nozzle just proud of the cap, if it's completely level that could account for the bubbles, clean the needle too while it's out.

P.S. Sorry about my first post, as well as enjoying helping others, I also like to play, lol , just couldn't resist:)... and welcome to the forum:thumbsup:
  11. Darrell Cook

12. Darrell Cook

No problem. 69 years and 6 years in the submarine service, I have fairly thick skin!
    So the needle should stick out of the screw on cap!
    Thanks. Soaking now.
  13. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I have a water based airbrush cleaner (concentrated 1 oz to 8 oz water) and it will bubble through any poorly fitting part. Just back flush and watch where it comes out. Just like the leaky tire trick....lol
  14. Malky

The nozzle should stick out very slightly from the screw on cap, the needle would generally stick out about 1 - 2 mm.

I would imagine those submarines were also thick skinned, lol