Paint Compatable With Air brush

N

Nicholas Pane

Hello:

I have numerous spray cans of Rustolium In very nice colors. If I drain the cans into a regular 1/2 or pint cans can I use it a Pasche airbrush?

Thank you very much, Nicholas

You would be better off getting paint made for airbrushing,the paint in the can will begin drying as soon as you spray it out of the can

As basepaint has said you would be better getting airbrush specific paints, BUT in saying that theres a guy on my FB page who uses spray paint i think the same brand as you've mentioned above

Hello and thanks fellas,

I wasn't going to spray it out of the cans into 1/2 or 1 pint cans. I was going to puncture the can, let the air escape and then pour it into the cans.
Rusto by nature is very slow drying

Thanks again, Nicholas

I don't think puncturing the can would be a good idea. I have seen these blow and it is not good.....unless your life or health insurance is paid up and you have a death wish.....

The cans are under a lot of pressure , While a controlled release of the pressure is possible with the right equipment it is not a wise thing to try.
You will need to drain off the the pressure in a slow manner so as to not release the paint along with it. Simple poking a hole in the top while the paint is in the bottom will not keep this from happening.
So trying this can result in damage to you . Make sure you have a full paint suit and mask on if you decide to go and try this.

Hello and thanks fellas,

I wasn't going to spray it out of the cans into 1/2 or 1 pint cans. I was going to puncture the can, let the air escape and then pour it into the cans.
Rusto by nature is very slow drying

Thanks again, Nicholas

It's possible to do what you've said. Cans aren't going to explode once punctured. But don't shake the cans before puncturing and do very small holes in upper part, as the paint at the bottom. Air will run out and you can get the paint by making bigger holes. I know some guys did so but I wouldn't do that myself:)
I can say it's cheaper way to buy urethane base colours. It's "right" paint for ABing without any headaches;) The only issue about them is their smell.

Cans can easily be decanted using a straw and cling film. And you don't waste a whole can if it does not work.

Yeah I guess in theory this all holds up. I use bucket paint thinned down a lot. The only thing I would add is acetone is an excellent cleaning solution for that type of spray paint.

Back