Paint flow fizzles out

K

KeithAndrews

Hi guys.

Im new to the forum and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

When I am doing practice exercises (loops) after about 10 loops, the amount of paint tapers off until it stops flowing. When I release the trigger and the pull back again, paint starts to flow with no issue and the process repeats.

I have used the trigger limiter knob at the back of the airbrush to ensure im not pushing or pulling the trigger and causing this myself. (The trigger id fully pulled back the whole time.

I have taken the airbrush apart and ensured it is clean.

Pasche TG Talon
IWATA Studio Series Compressor
Liquitex Paints thinned with High Performance reducer.

I added a photo. You can see whats happening in the loops in the middle.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• 20170609_002456377_iOS.jpg
    20170609_002456377_iOS.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 27
Hey there, sounds like tip dry. Also make sure you strain your paint. What pressure are you running?

Could I ask you to go along to the intro section and say Hi? What part of the world are you in? What got you into airbrushing?

Thanks for the reply Mark. Ill pop over right now and do that.

Ill look up Dry Tip as well.

I am straining my paints and have the compressor set for about 25.

Blacks good for causing tip dry Try doing your practice in another color see if that helps any,

Ok, I looked up tip dry and I dont THINK :) thats what is happening.

There does not appear to be any dry paint on the needle.

Also, when I release the trigger and then re-engage, paint flows normally for about a minute, then slowly tapers off again.

Thanks so much for your input guys.

The paints starting to dry/clog in the nozzle and thats why it taper's off ,When you let go of the trigger it Push's some of the paint out so the next time you pull the trigger it sprays paint for a short while then it happen's again, It's still about paint drying try adding a little Retarder (I use Golden Retarder) to the paint it will help with the paint not drying so fast.

Try doing a small blast of paint when it starts doing it on a scrap piece of paper.

I keep a soft short bristle brush in my other hand with either reducer or cleaner and constantly "wash" the end of the airbrush which takes care of tip dry.

What kind of liquidtex paints are you using?

If you're confident it's not tip dry then may I ask which 'studio series' compressor do you have. When setting the regulator it's done with the trigger pressed on the air brush. there is a significant pressure drop when the trigger is depressed. But when you stop painting for a few seconds it allows enough pressure to build again to keep going

The paint may be a little thick for the needle size / psi you're using ?

It does sound like a bit of tip dry to me too. Try thinning your paint a little Keith. For the record I never had any issues with my smartjet pro even though it had no tank, all my paintings apart from the last couple of new ones and all of Jades paintings were done with it. PSI does drop though and you might only get around 20psi constant if your lucky.

Lee

Maybe a combo? A little tip dry + pressure drop = paint fizzle. Stop painting, more pressure builds, blows away tip dry, paint flows.....and repeat.

I'm thinking combo of pressure, tip dry, and not thin enough paint. Possible to have the paint a little thick, it'll spray until a little pressure drop causes it not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What paint are you using? Black is highly pigmented for coverage and will tip dry quickly. Some brands are worse than others. When I was using Createx and Aquaflow I need a damp hollow body q-tip in my other had to clean the needle tip. If you hear a strained sound in your air flow the it is drying inside the nozzle which is usually caused by a head that is not properly tightened down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Back