Paint flows as soon as I press the trigger?

Jurien72

Have Airbrush - Will Travel!
I finally decided to see if I could get my old Paasches working today. I have a VJR and a VSR, which are for the most part identical brushes. First of all, when I inserted the needle into the VJR, air would flow. Pushing the trigger down would increase the airflow, but it wouldn't shut off completely. I tried swapping the triggers out, and the problem disappeared. Weird no?

So I put the brush together, and tried spraying some water through it. I get paint flow as soon as I push down the trigger. It doesn't seem to be leaking any paint when the air is off. I transferred all the parts into the VSR body, and everything works perfectly. Is it possible that the VJR body is just defective? The nozzle area just doesn't seem to be going together correctly. If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

A long shot but could you have parts mixed up, although you say the brushes are almost identical there could different tolerances.

Failing that, your needle may not be seated properly due debris in the nozzle, I would remove both the needle nozzle and give them a good clean.

I am assuming these brushes lay unused for a long time, if so I would recommend a full strip down and cleaning, you could have gunged up lubricant in them, also check the trigger cavities to be sure there isn't anything in there that shouldn't be there.

As far as I can tell, these brushes share all the internal parts. The only difference is in the bodies. According to Paasche the replacement parts should work on either brush. I should mention that these brushes were purchased "new" from an art supply store. They have obviously been sitting on the shelf for quite some time, but I see no evidence of them ever being used. (For all I know someone could have purchased one of them and brought it back?) The needle, nozzle and everything else was transferred directly from one brush to the other, so I don't think it's a dirty nozzle issue or anything like that. It would give me the same problem in the other brush.
Short of trying to track down a replacement body for the VJR I'm kinda stumped on this one. Its really not a big deal I guess, but it would be nice to get the brush working! (It's raining today so I have nothing better to do than screw around with it!) :)

Maybe the needle packing in one isn't allowing the needle to sit far enough allowing it not to seal in the tip....

Definitely sounds like the needle isn't seated against the nozzle, possibly due to a dirty nozzle or flared nozzle. If you switch just the needle does it still do it? If you switch just the nozzle does it still do it?

If these are like the VL nozzle it didn't take a lot to flair the end of the nozzle or even split them. That's why we always had a supply on hand when doing shirt in Florida. Also these are floating nozzles and always have a little issue with proper seating. Try reseating the nozzle and give the head a good snugging. The seat the needle forward. If it is just a trail of paint and not a full spray than I would have to say it isn't seated right, split/flared or dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Well, after fiddling with it for a bit it seems to be working fine now. I still think there's a problem with where the nozzle seats into the body- I wonder if there is a way to polish that area up? Feels like there is a burr or something in the opening. It cant be anything to do with the needle and nozzle, or they wouldn't work in the other body.

The V series is very similar to the VLs, but they use different parts. I almost wonder if parts from the VL would interchange somehow? Might be something fun to play around with this afternoon lol. Again, I do appreciate all the replies!

Back