Paint question

R

rcam1977

I was at Wal-Mart a saw a couple types of paint that were pretty cheap and was curious if they would be ok to use for a practice paint while I'm doing the exercises and just trying to learn.
98ddc878bbc23c7fde18db5503ee5139.jpg

071038e823113cb6bf8cfa6357e926ff.jpg

Thanks in advance for you're help and advise, I really do appreciate it

Simple answer is NO. Craft paint is way too thick and the pigments are not ground fine enough for an airbrush. Go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get airbrush paint. Stay away from opaque a at first they tend to be the most frustrating.

If you want a quick cheap practice alternative, mix food coloring and water, there's really nothing in that to cause tip dry so it's less frustrating.

I was at Wal-Mart a saw a couple types of paint that were pretty cheap and was curious if they would be ok to use for a practice paint while I'm doing the exercises and just trying to learn.
98ddc878bbc23c7fde18db5503ee5139.jpg

071038e823113cb6bf8cfa6357e926ff.jpg

Thanks in advance for you're help and advise, I really do appreciate it

Hi rcam, i started with tube acrylics and watered them down, it does work but you will cause yourself quite a bit of stress with them, i had clogging issues thro a 0.5 airbrush it was a cheapo brush i got with my compressor. If you want some thing really cheap and easy to use get a couple of bottles of food dye, its the right consistency and cheap plus no clogging issuse

Thanks for clearing that up for me, and thanks for the tip on food coloring, I actually did come acrossed a couple good finds at Wal-Mart today, I'll post them later

Another good solution that I find very satisfying is ink. Windsor Newton is what I use. Love the stuff. Works great on card stock for practicing or even making art. The packages I use even say suitable for airbrushes and is a half to a third the cost of airbrush paint.

Another good solution that I find very satisfying is ink. Windsor Newton is what I use. Love the stuff. Works great on card stock for practicing or even making art. The packages I use even say suitable for airbrushes and is a half to a third the cost of airbrush paint.
Where would I find that at ?

If you have a AC Moore in your area go there sign up for the in store card and you will get 40 and 50% coupons in your emails pretty regularly. They sell spectratex paint I believe.

I said earlier that I did come accrossed a couple good finds so hear they are,
5986dc2423632f9c79a5af0bfdecd555.jpg

801ff61f34dbc1d649e745d6b5a4dd8f.jpg

The little aluminum pals I'm thinking will be good for mixing paint, I'm thinking about applying a little force to a section of the top rim to create a pour spout, I got 3 of them for .95 a piece and the sketch and paint paper book was 7.99 for 65 pages 12x9 and their pretty thick, kinda got a construction paper feel to them

I always mix in the airbrush to save on wasted paint. Only time I save larger amounts is if it's a specific midtone for a portrait or something. Airbrush paint goes a lot further than you think, so with a "pail" you can become tempted to mix a full amount when you needed very little.

I never tried the paint in a tube but the folk art acrylic, underneath the tubes in your picture, works well as practice paints for me even through my .2mm nozzle.
I use the folk art enamel acrylic paints thinned with water and alcohol, I don't experience much tip dry either but I have polished my needle.
Buy a bottle and give it a try.

Jim

As far as practice goes, practice with the paint system you are choosing to stick with, and we'll stick with it. If you practice and learn with one kind of paint then switch, you feel like taking 2 steps back. One of the reasons I have yet to jump on the waterborne wagon. Spend 20 years spraying urethane then switch to waterbased and makes you wanna rip what's left of your hair out because it reacts so differently. Hobby lobby and a few others carry wicked which is the standard these days it seems, and for a few bucks more than El cheapo craft paint (which I was suprised at your prices cause round here its like 50 cents.) You will be practicing control along with practicing with the paint. Nothing worse then feeling like you got it figured out then use "real" paint and a rude awakening of how much you were hurting yourself using the wrong paint for the job. It can be watered down, but really have to keep straining it cause isn't ground close to as fine as actual airbrush paints. That stuff barely wants to cover with a brush, so imagine trying an airbrush. Sure you can do it but save headaches down the road. In the beginning I struggled with getting the right reduction and how far I could push the paint of my choice. I used ink which is great, but you limit yourself and because you aren't using a reducer, the paint doesn't go very far. Reducer is what gets pricy after awhile. A 2 oz bottle of unmixed white paint will usually last me easily 8 or 9 full fire paint jobs on large trucks with no fear of running out. Doing portraits or whatnot, you really only use a few drops of paint with extra kick of reducer. Try mixing just what you need to do your practice, cuts down on waste and also trains you to not over mix paint. Really sucks when you mix up some paint and nothing left to do in that color and nd you look in the cup and did see its practically still full. Nothing left to do but toss it or remix it darker if you can.

I was just reading the tag and looking a little closer at one of the pails and they are not designed to hold liquids, there only intended for decoration, I supposed they could be modified some how, but it may not be worth messing with, guess that's what I get for not paying closer attention, I'll find a use for them somewhere even if it takes some time, and the were only .95 a piece so I'm not out very much money there, atleast the paper was a good deal

I never tried the paint in a tube but the folk art acrylic, underneath the tubes in your picture, works well as practice paints for me even through my .2mm nozzle.
I use the folk art enamel acrylic paints thinned with water and alcohol, I don't experience much tip dry either but I have polished my needle.
Buy a bottle and give it a try.

Jim
I may try a bottle, I received a few suggestions that sound like they are worth trying, That's what I love about this forum, more experienced folks are always here to offer their without talking down to ya and making you feel like a total jackwagon

I was just reading the tag and looking a little closer at one of the pails and they are not designed to hold liquids, there only intended for decoration, I supposed they could be modified some how, but it may not be worth messing with, guess that's what I get for not paying closer attention, I'll find a use for them somewhere even if it takes some time, and the were only .95 a piece so I'm not out very much money there, atleast the paper was a good deal
Here is what you do with them...Paint something on them.:thumbsup:

I agree with what's been said.

I tried using cheap acrylics and basically it was a waste of time. They maybe ok for brush painting, but for an airbrush they can't be thinned to let you spray them.

No!!!! Its too thick ... you will block your ab forever! This is for brush only! If you really want cheap paint ... go for regular createx ... you can reduce it with water ... so you will paint a lot with the little bottles! You have very cheap basic kit for like 20$ on ebay

Envoyé depuis mon Android via Tapatalk 4!

Thanks for the advise everybody, hope everybody has a fun and safe Labor Day weekend,

Back