Paint volume limitation feature?

G

Grimmy

Hi all,

A short while back I bought a standard Evolution airbrush that has no "paint volume limitation" feature (I think that is the correct term) and I'm struggling to keep the lines all the same thickness when I need to.
I had been using one of those really cheap airbrush models before I got the Evolution and it has the feature on it that controls how far back you can pull the trigger. I found this really helpful, especially with repetitive detailed work.

I was wondering if other people had this problem or maybe prefer models without this feature?

Thanks

Grimmy

My brushes do have this feature grimmy... we (I... used the royal we there) call it a needle stop. ... I don't really use it though as sometimes you need to charge the brush( blow out the crap) when you geta bit of tip dry or clogs.

Hi Grimmy,
I have limiters on most of my airbrushes and never use them but then I don't paint things that need consistent thickness of lines.

You can buy a Quick Fix Limiter for your Evolution for about £20. The neat things about it is that you can set a limit for your lines but if you want to revert to normal use (like Ad Fez says to blow out clogs etc.) you can click the button on the back and it goes to normal, click it again and it will go back to the same setting you had before on the Limiter. Only Harder and Steenbeck airbrushes have this feature.

http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/HS_123663_200wide.jpg here is the webpage at the shop Harder & Steenbeck Accesssories

If you think you'll use it enough it would be worth it, if not then it's a question of practising lines :)

Cheers Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses.
Melbee - that link is so helpful. Thank you!
Oh yes, I'll definitely use it.

Yes you're both right - it's good to blast out the clogs. However, I don't really have studio time at the mo to spend time adjusting to my new airbrush - I need to be up to speed best I can. I'm hoping with time I'll get more confident & accurate, like I did with spray paint caps. :)

Yes you're both right - it's good to blast out the clogs. However, I don't really have studio time at the mo to spend time adjusting to my new airbrush - I need to be up to speed best I can. I'm hoping with time I'll get more confident & accurate, like I did with spray paint caps. :)

Sounds like the Quick Fix limiter would be perfect for you on your Evolution. Here is a video showing you how the Quick Fix works on an Infinity, it looks different but it works the same Quick-Fix demo - YouTube
Good luck
Mel

Melbee - you are a star! :tears_of_joy:

I've just bought one of those from the site you linked to... it looks like it will do the trick indeed.
Thanks for posting the youtube link too, very helpful.

Grimmy

Melbee - you are a star! :tears_of_joy:

I've just bought one of those from the site you linked to... it looks like it will do the trick indeed.
Thanks for posting the youtube link too, very helpful.

Grimmy

Your welcome, I hope it works for you :)
Cheers Mel

Mel it works perfect, just what I needed. It even reverts back to normal setting instantly when needed. So pleased with this. :)
Thanks!

Hi all,

A short while back I bought a standard Evolution airbrush that has no "paint volume limitation" feature (I think that is the correct term) and I'm struggling to keep the lines all the same thickness when I need to.
I had been using one of those really cheap airbrush models before I got the Evolution and it has the feature on it that controls how far back you can pull the trigger. I found this really helpful, especially with repetitive detailed work.

I was wondering if other people had this problem or maybe prefer models without this feature?

Thanks

Grimmy

This is EXACTLY why I recommend beginners to either buy airbrushes without the limiter, or just not use it at all. You should keep practicing and get the airbrush control to keep your lines consistant instead of relying on a "cheat". You'll be much better off in the long run.

Personally I don't like limiters as it does exactly what it says, and limits what you are doing, I prefer the flexibility of working without it, but that's just me. Glad you got yours working though, Mel's a little gem!

I think the limiters are a good idea but badly executed in most cases. All but one of my airbrushes has a limiter feature but only the H&S ininity has a usable limiter. The reason for this is, as mentioned in previous posts when you start to get a blockage (just not spraying right ... no paint comining out) we instinctively whack it open and spray a heavy spray on some scrap paper etc to clear the nozzle. If you have a screw type limiter you either unscrew it out to get full flow and then try to reset it back to where it as set or you just unscrew the whole backend off and clear then screw the backend back on (should retain your limiter settings). This is just a fart on in my case.

H&S have made a quick set feature to their version of the limiter which allows you to pull the limiter back to Max position, spary out to clear and then press the limiter back into position.

This is clearly a better system but it doesnt beat learning how to control your brush and spray consistantly with the ability to clear the nozzle at any time without having to fiddle on with the airbrush in anyway (just a quick pull back on the trigger and away we go!).

Sometimes I use the needle stop when the paint is extremely reduced. Is the only way to have some control and clogging is the most undesirable aspect of it. I think in most cases we can live without it :)

I hear what you are all saying about this particular airbrush feature, thanks. I really use my airbrush a lot with my work now and I need to be up to speed and can't really afford to spend time practicing. The on/off feature on my H&S helps with this.

Back