Painting on already painted surface help

T

TJ McInnes

I have a set of harley saddlebags a friend wants me to paint some in memory text on. How do i prep the areas i plan to paint?

Attachments

• 20171024_134729.jpg
    20171024_134729.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20171021_114822.jpg
    20171021_114822.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi @TJ McInnes - so a few questions... but before them, can you please go along to the intro section and say Hi properly? Where are you, what do you paint, gear you've got, that sort of thing. It's nicer to know the people we are talking to and good form when you join a forum.

So, what are the bags made of? What sort of paint are you using? What does the manufacturer say? (Hint, the last one is a really good place to start as the paint manufacturer will be able to tell you a lot of info).

Look forward to your reply! Cheers Mark

Hi @TJ McInnes - so a few questions... but before them, can you please go along to the intro section and say Hi properly? Where are you, what do you paint, gear you've got, that sort of thing. It's nicer to know the people we are talking to and good form when you join a forum.

So, what are the bags made of? What sort of paint are you using? What does the manufacturer say? (Hint, the last one is a really good place to start as the paint manufacturer will be able to tell you a lot of info).

Look forward to your reply! Cheers Mark
Ok will do. Im using wicked white paint. The bags are fiberglass i think. Not sure what the manufacturer says.

i would think a good clean with an appropriate wax/grease cleaner, a light scuff to give the paint something to stick to then do your art work then clear coat.

i would think a good clean with an appropriate wax/grease cleaner, a light scuff to give the paint something to stick to then do your art work then clear coat.
How do I only scuff the lettering?
And what should I use to scuff it? Is a scotch pad good?
Im also wondering ho w much to scuff it?
Its only white text. I will be using wicked white for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get some

Mainly you want a dull surface which really should not be a lot of scuffing. Scotch brite pad will be fine. If you are just doing lettering when you re-clear it the areas that you did not paint should blend back in .

Mainly you want a dull surface which really should not be a lot of scuffing. Scotch brite pad will be fine. If you are just doing lettering when you re-clear it the areas that you did not paint should blend back in .
Ok thanks.

As Mr.Micron has stated, just a light scuff with the scotchbrite (red is medium/coarse and the grey is finer) on the area you wish to do the lettering on, not the indiviual letters, the general area where the lettering will be done, then wipe, degrease again do your lettering let it dry properly then clear coat.
as long as you havent gone to rough with your scuffing, it will all blend in. And dont be tempted to mask of the painted area before clearing, unless you are really really good you'll leave an edge that will stand out.

As Mr.Micron has stated, just a light scuff with the scotchbrite (red is medium/coarse and the grey is finer) on the area you wish to do the lettering on, not the indiviual letters, the general area where the lettering will be done, then wipe, degrease again do your lettering let it dry properly then clear coat.
as long as you havent gone to rough with your scuffing, it will all blend in. And dont be tempted to mask of the painted area before clearing, unless you are really really good you'll leave an edge that will stand out.
iwill get some degreaser scotchbrite and createx sealer if i can. Thank you all

iwill get some degreaser scotchbrite and createx sealer if i can. Thank you all
Clear sealer I hope.. anything else will show under the clear unless of course you’re respraying the entire thing,
What are you using the sealer for?

Clear sealer I hope.. anything else will show under the clear unless of course you’re respraying the entire thing,
What are you using the sealer for?
i didnt buy sealer. Thought about it but figured i didnt need it thanks. Ibought a can of prep all degreaser, a new exacto blade and roller blade to try out. Im going to spray a non visible part to make sure it dont eat the paint.

i didnt buy sealer. Thought about it but figured i didnt need it thanks. Ibought a can of prep all degreaser, a new exacto blade and roller blade to try out. Im going to spray a non visible part to make sure it dont eat the paint.
good, as far as i know there's really no need for sealer with what you're doing.
just remember to be very very very gentle with the blades, it is very easy to cut to deep, you will then see the indentation of the cut when you clear it.

good, as far as i know there's really no need for sealer with what you're doing.
just remember to be very very very gentle with the blades, it is very easy to cut to deep, you will then see the indentation of the cut when you clear it.
Thank you very much for your help all of you a few more questions though so I'm going to put the frisket film right onto the saddlebags and carefully cut through the clear layer ? Do I draw the letters on the film side? for each part that I'm doing? I prep the surface with a can of what's called prep all I got an automotive center for it says it's used for cleaning bumpers it says I tried it out on the inside wheel part of the bags to make sure that it didn't hurt the paint or clear any so far I think it's pretty good I'm drawing out the stencils now and hope to be putting some paint down in the morning I don't have any Scotch pads could I use the dishwashing sponge with the Green Top?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your help all of you a few more questions though so I'm going to put the frisket film right onto the saddlebags and carefully cut through the clear layer ? Do I draw the letters on the film side? for each part that I'm doing? I prep the surface with a can of what's called prep all I got an automotive center for it says it's used for cleaning bumpers it says I tried it out on the inside wheel part of the bags to make sure that it didn't hurt the paint or clear any so far I think it's pretty good I'm drawing out the stencils now and hope to be putting some paint down in the morning I don't have any Scotch pads could I use the dishwashing sponge with the Green Top?
A pencil of fine marker will work on the frisket. REMEMBER TO DE TACK IT FIRST... it tends to stick too well... "dab" it a couple of times on your shirt. Scotchbrite is cheap, your local hardware store should carry it, use a fresh one!

I drew up the old english text. Threw some frisket film over it (after de stickying it). I then traced the design on the film. Then I pulled everything off and lightly scrubbed the area with a dish scratchit pad. Then i used prep all to clean the surface. Reapplied the film and masked everything off. Exactoing it out and painting it later today hopefully. The left bag looks crooked but the owner said he wants it just like its laid out now, so. U know. Customer is right. I personally think it looks crooked but that bag sags anyway in the pic below on the bike. the guy plans to put LED brake lights so they wont b in the way long. What do u guys/gals think?

Attachments

• 20171029_043636.jpg
    20171029_043636.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171029_063335.jpg
    20171029_063335.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171029_065047.jpg
    20171029_065047.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20171029_071316.jpg
    20171029_071316.jpg