Painting on already painted surface help

I tried to get him to let me level it out. He said leave it as is. I also suggested he add more text to the left bag. He didnt go for that either. Just white plain old english text.

Not a bad experience ao far other than I cut a lil too hard and there are vusible scratches. I used a scratchic pad ro try and smooth it out before I prep all'd and painted it. I messed up on the stencil in a few places. Would like to know your suggestions on what I should use to fix this? Maybe I could brush over them?

Anytime you're doing lettering on an existing finish and you don't plan to clear the entire panel (saddlebags in this case) your options are limited.

The correct process is to clean the panel thoroughly with wax and grease remover.

Apply your frisket (or vinyl mask) on the panel. It isn't necessary to remove tack from the frisket or vinyl mask in this case. You're not going to pull up the existing finish and the extra tack will prevent your paint from bleeding under the film. Cut out your design or weed the mask.

Use a gray scotch brite pad to scuff the surface where you cut out the frisket and/or removed portions from the vinyl mask. Gray scotch brite is the least aggressive. A red pad will work but sand scratches may be visible in the finish. Do not use a pad designed for household cleaning!!! If you don't have the necessary equipment be patient and wait until you do. You're fortunate this didn't cause you some major headaches!

Paint your design/lettering and clear coat it before removing the mask. This will leave a hard edge where the mask was. Use a very dull blade and/or a fingernail to lightly bring the edge down. Finish the design with a pinstripe (actual pinstripe paint, I prefer House of K9lor and this requires a catalyst) around the outer boarder to hide the remainder of the edge.

The only way to completely remove the edge is to prep and clear the entire part. Hope this helps you for future projects.

Not a bad experience ao far other than I cut a lil too hard and there are vusible scratches. I used a scratchic pad ro try and smooth it out before I prep all'd and painted it. I messed up on the stencil in a few places. Would like to know your suggestions on what I should use to fix this? Maybe I could brush over them?
I'd be tempted to leave it alone, It looks pretty good from what I can see (pics aren't real clear)
But It sounds like your customer isn't wanting to be too picky about it and may not appreciate extra effort.
If you do go to correct it the easiest way is probably going to be to take the frisket you used and cut out a piece that includes the edge you want to fix. Then use it as a free shield to correct your edge with.

Back