Paints for vinyl, can't remember the brand

segrafix

Young Tutorling
Way back in the 80's, I used to do band and stage backdrops on vinyl with grommets and there was a specific paint for it, came in 2 and 4 oz bottles like Medea ComArt, and I've got to do some more vinyl work and I'd like to find these again, as they were very good. Went through all my old invoices but I can't remember the brand name and Google gives me nothing. Please don't suggest Createx, cause I remember trying them and not being happy with the results, they did not stick

Paint has come a long way since the 80's, seems like Airbrush dreams may have the answer, but if not don't discount Createx. They have a product called Wicked which works on pretty much any surface, and is good on flexible surfaces too. It is also lightfast so fading is not an issue.

There is also Grex Private Stock (formerly E'TAC) which is another multi surface paint. Not familiar with that personally though.

Createx has also gone through numerous changes in their formulations over the years for those that aren't aware.... The color and/or number may still be the same, but the formulation within the bottle is not the same today as it was a few years ago. I can't tell you if it will stick to vinyl though...

I will bet it was Media Textile Paint by Jurek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
Oh, yeah, that's the stuff, thanks! Way back in the late 80's, I was doing work on the same reinforced vinyl the very large billboards are printed on and was having trouble with Createx sticking to it, so I tried the Jurek paint. Haven't done Createx on vinyl, but I will give it a shot, I'm sure it's improved; I use it for just about everything else.
What about Wicked colours, have they got better adhesion and flexibility? The pieces I'll be working on will be about 8-12 feet on a side, and will be rolled very occasionally, hung for a couple of weeks, rolled and immediately hung at another location, sometimes out of doors.

Wicked works on pretty much anything. I've used it on everything from paper and board, to automotive, to baseball caps, wood, plastic, and leather jackets. As long as the prep is appropriate to the surface you should be good to go. And rolling is better than having something folded or bunched up. If you have any doubts buy one colour (you will also need to buy the 4012 reducer) and do some tests :)

Oh, yeah, that's the stuff, thanks! Way back in the late 80's, I was doing work on the same reinforced vinyl the very large billboards are printed on and was having trouble with Createx sticking to it, so I tried the Jurek paint. Haven't done Createx on vinyl, but I will give it a shot, I'm sure it's improved; I use it for just about everything else.
What about Wicked colours, have they got better adhesion and flexibility? The pieces I'll be working on will be about 8-12 feet on a side, and will be rolled very occasionally, hung for a couple of weeks, rolled and immediately hung at another location, sometimes out of doors.
They discontinued the Jurek line of paints a couple years back. I would do Wicked Or E'Tac Privet Stock. Both are flexible with good UV resistance. On Vinyl I would make sure you wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and let dry before painting.
759829ffe3454ecbe4ad99b7825396bb.jpg
this one I did with Privet Stock and it lasted over 5 years through all 4 seasons on the back of a Jeep.

I'm about to restock my paints; Wicked can be used for pretty much everything, even automotive and guitars? Thinking I may just drop the Createx (I use it for tees, jackets etc) and just buy Wicked. Do they not come in 16 oz bottles? I shopped Coast Airbrush and only saw 2 oz. Still using Comart for my canvases, though, I like the traditional artists colours.
Here's another question; last few guitars I did, I clear coated with Emtech EM6000 water based acrylic lacquer (from Target Coatings). 4-5 coats, wet sanding and finally polishing with StewMac polishing compounds. Worked fine, no reason to change, but I was wondering what was the most recent, or most popular, clears around. Or if there was anything better, thanks!
BTW, awesome job on the lips, colour is spot on!

I'm about to restock my paints; Wicked can be used for pretty much everything, even automotive and guitars? Thinking I may just drop the Createx (I use it for tees, jackets etc) and just buy Wicked. Do they not come in 16 oz bottles? I shopped Coast Airbrush and only saw 2 oz. Still using Comart for my canvases, though, I like the traditional artists colours.
Here's another question; last few guitars I did, I clear coated with Emtech EM6000 water based acrylic lacquer (from Target Coatings). 4-5 coats, wet sanding and finally polishing with StewMac polishing compounds. Worked fine, no reason to change, but I was wondering what was the most recent, or most popular, clears around. Or if there was anything better, thanks!
Do you clear your guitars with an airbrush or do you have a spray gun? I have soooo got to try painting a guitar someday!

All I have seen is the 2oz and 16oz that's why I didn't keep using it because the paint would sit around too long and start to separate. It was originally developed for t-shirt painters and that why it is mainly in 16 oz size. On their website Createx said any Acrylic Urithane Clear is fine. I am sure there are others that can answer this part better than I.

I use a Husky HVLP from Home Depot. Once upon a time, I had an Iwata, but replacing it would have been pretty expensive (I had sold most of my gear long ago), so I got this one. Not as fine as I'd like, but it does the job:

Attachments

• husky-hvlp-spray-gun.jpg
    husky-hvlp-spray-gun.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
Back