perplexed

S

shadow2462

Ok gang here is my dilemma, I use a Badger Velocity and I really like it but for reasons I wont mention here out of respect I need to find a "back up" brush with a .2 needle/nozzle set up and good quality for a max of $100-$120 as money is tight. Now I've done research and all that but that is partly why I'm perplexed. I'm asking ya'll because I respect and value your input but before those who would recommend a Micron, thank you but it is not in my reach financially. I thought about eclipse or revolution but they don't have the .2 setup I need and the H&S Infinity is out of range as well. Thanks for your input in advance!

go with the ecclipse,,, i get the same lines and detail that i do with the micron.. the trigger is just not as sensitive and take a little more control,, but it is a great work horse. easy to clean and maintain but thats just my opion

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of in the same boat but when I can't afford the best brush's I went with the Master series G444 it comes with the number .2 , .3, .5 I haven't had any trouble out mine knock on wood. and I'd paid under $50

I'm kind of in the same boat but when I can't afford the best brush's I went with the Master series G444 it comes with the number .2 , .3, .5 I haven't had any trouble out mine knock on wood. and I'd paid under $50

I to have a Master G23 set w/ the 2,3,5 sets but I won't buy another....especially with using Wicked paints and the HP reducer...it kills the seals, they are not solvent proof.

Stick with what you know and get a krome. ... is a great brush and with interchangeable setups you can do it all

Stick with what you know and get a krome. ... is a great brush and with interchangeable setups you can do it all

Fez buddy normally I would agree with ya on that but if I go Krome I will have same situation as now. I can explain in a PM if you are inclined but do not wish to post reasons in forum.

I agree with tucky get an eclipse if you can, I can get good detail out of that and that's a .35 tip. but I also have a velocity that I also like. also I might be able to help you with the velocity depending on the problem.

Is there any reason you particularly want a .2 tip?? If you want a back up brush, (I assume this means you already have another brush, that would be your main one) I would say go with the hp-cs. It's what I use as my only brush and I love it. Once you get to know each other, it will do amazing detail for you, it's easy to clean and maintain, is also good for slightly larger areas, and is great for blends and fades. It really is the perfect all rounder. The only other brushes I would ever have apart from this is something with a large nozzle to cope with metalliics/other effects paints, or a micron (....dreamy music starting to play about now.....) Those three brushes would be my perfect kit.

If you can swing the HP-C+ , which is .3mm stock, then swap in the .2 set up at a later date, the sucker will perform almost as good as a Micron. Kind of been dubbed the " Poor mans Micron" . I have my HP-CH set up this way. I think I found my HP-C+ and CH on Ebay at a retailer for decent money. I believe it was Go Nitro Hobbies. $185 for it at Go Nitro, or I have also ordered a few from Japan at a savings, just have to wait for the shipping.

If you decide to go with the Eclipse, and you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, get the 40% off coupon and it's right in your price range. I think I got mine for $119-$129 after the coupon. And it come with a moisture trap and 3 bottles of Com-Art.

Is there any reason you particularly want a .2 tip?? If you want a back up brush, (I assume this means you already have another brush, that would be your main one) I would say go with the hp-cs. It's what I use as my only brush and I love it. Once you get to know each other, it will do amazing detail for you, it's easy to clean and maintain, is also good for slightly larger areas, and is great for blends and fades. It really is the perfect all rounder. The only other brushes I would ever have apart from this is something with a large nozzle to cope with metalliics/other effects paints, or a micron (....dreamy music starting to play about now.....) Those three brushes would be my perfect kit.
Yes squishy I do have a velocity that is my baby at this point, I own a Master G23 set (POS) so I need a brush I can depend on it is a POS. I can get $100-$120to play with to get a backup brush that can equal its performance. I just want to get something that will pickup and take over if need be in the middle of a painting and see it through!

Just get a micr.... oh. never mind ;-)

I'd give a look at the Grex XN. It's got a .2 tip, and compares pretty well to an Iwata HP-B or Olympos HP100-B (my personal favorite non-micron airbrush). Definitely better than the Richpen 112b. It's performance is pretty close to the HP-B and HP100-B, but the materials are a bit softer and cheaper, so you will go through nozzles and needles a bit more than you would with the Iwata or Olympos. But, you can put either an Iwata or Olympos nozzle and needle in it and take care of that issue.

Another hidden favorite of mine is the Holbien/Hohmi "dash" series or the neo-hohmi if you prefer side-feed. They're really solidly built, and have a cool little "MAC valve" system built it. You twist what would normally be the air cap to increase or decrease air flow. They're a little tricky to find at times, but worth the search, imo. The "Y-2" would be my recommendation.

I wouldn't try to talk you out of an HP-CS, either. They do get some really suprising detail, and are built like tanks. But, if I was looking for a detail brush, I don't think it would be my first choice. But, it's also never a bad choice...

If you aren't in a hurry, search ebay and other sites for some of the less known Japanese brand airbrushes. Usually the quality is excellent. I found these in a search right now:

Meiji airbrush | eBay

Tamiya super fine airbrush | eBay

Other brands to look for would be:
Rich, Richpen, Holbein Toricon, Mr Hobby.
All are excellent airbrushes.

I see that HCP-draggin beat me to recommending Holbein. But then you have it from two sources.;)

Last edited:
i didnt realize this thread was from along time ago, but im new to this forum and i just want to say, i been researching airbrushes for awhile now, for me i sold all of my iwatas, and in my opinion holbein is the way to go

Back