For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Pheonix - Candy 20

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Squishy, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

I asked Jack EB if she wanted progress pics for the phoenix I painted her, and she suggested an SBS. As I have a few more pics than I realised - here goes.

First of all, design. I knew what I wanted to do, but as I usually do, I need something to work from. So I literally sketched a few very basic lines. From those bones the horror of the blank page had gone and I was able to use it to develop the sketch.
    WP_20170403_15_58_56_Pro (2) (575x1024).jpg WP_20170403_16_01_33_Pro (2) (1024x677).jpg

Then onto the aluminium panel. No pics of this stage, but basically it was grinder time, and an attempt to make a suggestion of feather/flames. So starting in one corner, and layering backward so they overlapped, it was pretty much the grinder version of dagger strokes. You don't want to be too aggressive with the grinder, if you go too deep, it will make the surface very uneven. Then a quick clean to remove all the grime.

Time to add the Candy 20. I used the eclipse with the .5 nozzle set up. I find this size much easier, as you get a wider spray pattern, and it helps stop getting uneven banding of colour. For larger pieces it's easier to use a mini hvlp, but for this size the .5 is ideal. The recommended addition of 4030 is minimum of 30% and 50% for airbrush. However after tests and experiments I find a 1:1 mix works best for me, then a little reduction with 4012. You have to work super light, and build up with between 6 and 8 layers, making sure each layer is 100% dry. The 1:1 IMO means it dries very quickly, a little blow with just air from the brush is more than enough to fully dry it within seconds. In previous tests drying seemed to take forever, not ideal with so many layers. I did all the yellow first, then the red working back toward the yellow to get the orange colour. Making sure to overlap the passes to get even coverage. Once done I used an intercoat to lock it down (and hopefully prevent bleed through - picture me making sacrificial offerings to the gods, and crossing arms, legs, eyes and toes, as well as fingers.)

WP_20170404_18_32_17_Pro (1024x575).jpg

With the panel scuffed back, I took a scalpel to my sketch and made a stencil, (I was able to stick it on immediately without damaging the paint) and painted the base of the bird in white. The white looks pretty solid, but actually it isn't as I wanted to be able to work white on white, and have the detail show up.

WP_20170404_20_27_43_Pro (1024x575).jpg WP_20170407_22_11_09_Pro (575x1024).jpg

Still using the .5 I start freehanding in the features/feathers etc, building up the white. I figured although the candy is clear, when I painted over the details they would get knocked back a little. They did, but not much at all, and I could have made the detail finer. Lesson learnt. :rolleyes:

Now to add the Candy again. This is where you have to think about what you are doing a bit. The first layer is locked (hopefully) in. But I know after colouring the phoenix, I want to add another layer for the flames. I now have to use a dissimilar product between layers to stop any bleeding, and by all accounts you can only do that once, or else it can reactivate the dye. (Don't ask me to explain the science of it, I just know from watching vids, and my own tests that weird witchy wizard stuff happens, and it all goes tits up) So I add the colour, again blending them on the surface to get the orangy colours, and then added two passes (the ideal amount I've found) of trans base.

WP_20170409_18_53_06_Pro (1024x575).jpg WP_20170409_20_27_09_Pro (575x1024).jpg

With that layer (hopefully - my mantra through out this project lol) safe, I then went in with white, and repeated the process again to add some flames. And that's about the size of it, just the clear to add. We won't talk about how not great the clear is lol, I know you are all way to polite to mention it. I used a cheap rattle can, and will not be doing that ever again. However I held my breath for a possibly record breaking length of time, hoping the layers would all stay where they should, without melting into each other, and......success! So I focused on that small victory instead lol lol lol. Here it is after clear, not a great pics, as it was too grey and dull outside to get a good one (Oh, yeah, and I can't work photos :D), but the indoor one gives a idea.

SAM_2167 (2) (1024x768).jpg SAM_2169 (768x1024).jpg

This was my first attempt at doing anything arty with the Candy 20, (I'd used it for straight coverage), and it took plenty of tests to get to know it, but it really is awesome stuff.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Ronnie D, Russ Allen, doc1 and 4 others like this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

you could have warned me, my coffee cup is empty..... hang on, i'll be right back
    jord001 and Squishy like this.
  3. Squishy

Erm.... I did it lol. Sorry had a little more time today than I thought.
    jord001 likes this.
  4. JackEb

* insert coffee slurping noises*

the photos give an idea of the awesomeness but in real life..... in the sun...... it just knocks ya socks off LOL.

Technical question time...

what did you use to lock in the colour ? Transbase ? I have the candys and some transparent sealer (autoborne 6000) that is now recommended as the 'barrier' product. Now I will admit I haven't seen any current videos on using candy 2.0 but is the 'only use it once' theory just with what you used or is it across the board with any barrier product ?
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Squishy

I need to go to Oz, you guys hav sun lol.

I used the 4004 trans base. As for the whole only do it once thing, I'm really not too sure how universal that is. I've seen coast airbrush talking about it, and some you tube vids (though most have old info). I figure if you used a proper clear coat between each layer it would be fine? I haven't tried it.

The trans did do weird things when trying to multi layer with it. I thought I was doing something wrong (and may well be lol), but someone said you cant use the trans more than once, or you will get bleeding. (fairly sure was a coast live feed?).
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  6. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Sweet work!
    Squishy likes this.
  7. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great pictures to accompany a great SBS @Squishy You have created a wicked piece of artwork and even in the dullness of England's sun it pops. I still have my samples from the KKBO last September so I should attempt to do something.

Lee
    Squishy and JackEb like this.
  8. Squishy

Thanks Lee :) .Def have a play, it really is good stuff.
  9. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

A fantastic piece of artwork and a SBS to boot Thank you Squishy!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  10. Squishy

Thanks basepaint :D
  11. peter air

peter air Double Actioner

great work!!
  12. Squishy

Thanks peter :)
  13. Lt4-396

Lt4-396 Gravity Guru

Love the vibrant colors that the candy produces.
    You said you used an intercoat, was it 4030 straight or something else to lock the colors in?
    I don't want to hijack your thread but if you had to do multiple colors and lock in each one what do you recommend on using?
  14. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

so lets see... we got scratching, erasing, and now grinding??? I'm glad I bought a big compressor to run my grinder!!! :p

(insert goofy picture of me grinding away at some Strathmore mixed media)

In all seriousness that is phenomenal work Squishy! I'm sure photos don't do it justice!
  15. Squishy

Would probably just use clear coat in that case, but I haven't tried it. I'm guessing it would be ok.
  16. Squishy

Thanks Jurien. It's far from perfect, but even so the Candy is awesome stuff.
  17. JackEb

Blah blah blah....ignore squishy's comment @Jurien72, in real life it is stunning and almost perfect ..... the only thing stopping the 10/10 is the missing "Squishy wuz here" signature lol
  18. Squishy

Lol, I'm never going to live that down am I? No one can forge my signature, I rarely remember to add one :D
    JackEb likes this.
  19. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Great SBS thank you! Cool these effects on metal.
    Squishy likes this.
  20. Squishy

Thanks Micha :D