I asked Jack EB if she wanted progress pics for the phoenix I painted her, and she suggested an SBS. As I have a few more pics than I realised - here goes. First of all, design. I knew what I wanted to do, but as I usually do, I need something to work from. So I literally sketched a few very basic lines. From those bones the horror of the blank page had gone and I was able to use it to develop the sketch. Then onto the aluminium panel. No pics of this stage, but basically it was grinder time, and an attempt to make a suggestion of feather/flames. So starting in one corner, and layering backward so they overlapped, it was pretty much the grinder version of dagger strokes. You don't want to be too aggressive with the grinder, if you go too deep, it will make the surface very uneven. Then a quick clean to remove all the grime. Time to add the Candy 20. I used the eclipse with the .5 nozzle set up. I find this size much easier, as you get a wider spray pattern, and it helps stop getting uneven banding of colour. For larger pieces it's easier to use a mini hvlp, but for this size the .5 is ideal. The recommended addition of 4030 is minimum of 30% and 50% for airbrush. However after tests and experiments I find a 1:1 mix works best for me, then a little reduction with 4012. You have to work super light, and build up with between 6 and 8 layers, making sure each layer is 100% dry. The 1:1 IMO means it dries very quickly, a little blow with just air from the brush is more than enough to fully dry it within seconds. In previous tests drying seemed to take forever, not ideal with so many layers. I did all the yellow first, then the red working back toward the yellow to get the orange colour. Making sure to overlap the passes to get even coverage. Once done I used an intercoat to lock it down (and hopefully prevent bleed through - picture me making sacrificial offerings to the gods, and crossing arms, legs, eyes and toes, as well as fingers.) With the panel scuffed back, I took a scalpel to my sketch and made a stencil, (I was able to stick it on immediately without damaging the paint) and painted the base of the bird in white. The white looks pretty solid, but actually it isn't as I wanted to be able to work white on white, and have the detail show up. Still using the .5 I start freehanding in the features/feathers etc, building up the white. I figured although the candy is clear, when I painted over the details they would get knocked back a little. They did, but not much at all, and I could have made the detail finer. Lesson learnt. Now to add the Candy again. This is where you have to think about what you are doing a bit. The first layer is locked (hopefully) in. But I know after colouring the phoenix, I want to add another layer for the flames. I now have to use a dissimilar product between layers to stop any bleeding, and by all accounts you can only do that once, or else it can reactivate the dye. (Don't ask me to explain the science of it, I just know from watching vids, and my own tests that weird witchy wizard stuff happens, and it all goes tits up) So I add the colour, again blending them on the surface to get the orangy colours, and then added two passes (the ideal amount I've found) of trans base. With that layer (hopefully - my mantra through out this project ) safe, I then went in with white, and repeated the process again to add some flames. And that's about the size of it, just the clear to add. We won't talk about how not great the clear is , I know you are all way to polite to mention it. I used a cheap rattle can, and will not be doing that ever again. However I held my breath for a possibly record breaking length of time, hoping the layers would all stay where they should, without melting into each other, and......success! So I focused on that small victory instead . Here it is after clear, not a great pics, as it was too grey and dull outside to get a good one (Oh, yeah, and I can't work photos ), but the indoor one gives a idea. This was my first attempt at doing anything arty with the Candy 20, (I'd used it for straight coverage), and it took plenty of tests to get to know it, but it really is awesome stuff.