For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Poll for PoM Calendar for 2015

Discussion in 'Forum Ideas!' started by WhiteKnight, Jul 31, 2014.

?

Would you buy a 2015 calender featuring the picture of the month winners of 2013 for around 6$

Poll closed Aug 31, 2014.
  1. Hell yeah, I'd take one

51 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. Hell yeah, but I'd take more then one, one just isn't enough

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. No I don't think so

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. I'd rather have pins in my eyes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

Making a poll to see how many of you would buy a calendar displaying the 2013 PoM winners + 2012, we were thinking around $6.00.

If enough of you are interested we will go ahead.
    airbrushtutor likes this.
  2. haags

haags Young Tutorling

Where would they be printed/posted from?

I would for that price. Postage costs have often stoped me buying things though.

If $6 becomes $26 then probably not.

One of the few bad points to living in Australia
    mm.airbrush.art likes this.
  3. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Same with me @haags. I don't know how shipping from the US can be so much more then shipping to the US.
  4. airbrushtutor

airbrushtutor Love Spreading Overseer Admin

is this a digital calendar or physical?
  5. kjukju

kjukju pretty old tutorling Elite Member!

depends really on shipping fees
  6. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

The price of $6 has me wondering......
    How did you come up with that price? I would buy one even if it was $10
  7. WhiteKnight

This would depend a lot on the final format of the calendar, if it can be shipped as a letter or has a parcel.
    It would be physical.
    It is just a figure, from my head TWood, I would pay $10 too if that was the price we came up with.
  8. twood

If we kept it as a 11x17 format it would be 8.5x11 when closed and keep the weight to 60 to 80lb paper to help with postage rates.
    Are they done yet...lol lol lol
  9. WhiteKnight

Was thinking along the same lines, and no :)
    twood likes this.
  10. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Skull King Very Likeable!

Do the winners get them for free?? Lol Noooo i voted to buy one and pay whatever shipping is, cause what a cool little souvenir to have from this forum of a collection of great pieces that we all watched the creation of. I know all us winners would take a certain pride of helping create the calendar from our own works. I know i would. I dont even think i would use it and just put it along with my paint pals up in the studio.
  11. NaamaEnkeli

NaamaEnkeli Double Actioner

Voted "no", only art for me.. no google copies..
    Maybe we would need rules for the Picture of the Month contest?
  12. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

There are rules and this has absolutely nothing at all to do with google, it is simply a means to help those who worked hard producing their pieces to become better known through different mediums, if you would like your work to remain secret or don't wish it to be published, you should probably avoid entering pic of the month or better still don't post any of your work at all, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could sell their work if no one is allowed to see it.

I'm not sure what your problem is but I for one would be damn proud to own a calender (or anything else) not only showing the work of people I consider friends here, but also helping these great artists to become household names, obviously any pictures featured in such a medium would give full credit to the artists involved, but don't worry, if you win we can just put in a blank page for the appropriate month with the statement "This artist does not wish to reveal their identify nor allow their work to be viewed publicly".

INCREDIBLE!!! what started as a bad day just got worse, I promise not to look at any more of your work but on the off chance that I should happen to accidentally catch a glimpse of it I will do my best not to draw it to anyone else's attention and quickly try to forget it.
    NEMOPa, MeeshellMP and NaamaEnkeli like this.
  13. NaamaEnkeli

big respect for the many artjobs out there! BUT, there is also some bad-bad art copy what I cant stand... If somebody copy other artists work line by line, I think its more about crime than art... I just say why I woted "no" and I want some rules to ART COPYING!
  14. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think I saw a post off you along similar lines in another post (could be wrong my memory isn't wat it never was :p). Which gives me the urge to respond to the "no copying off other peoples art".

I think there is a distinction between copying and copying.

I generaly agree that it is not done to coppy someones else's work and pretending it's your own especialy when it's on exhibit or for sale.

That being said you do have to realise that this is not a forum generaly visited accomplished artists. Most off the people posting here are people that see this as a nice hobby, or are people that are just starting at it and are seeking advice.

People who are just starting out can greatly bennefit from coppying stuff, they can check the techniques used and check their own "coppy" against that off the artist that made the original. Copying art is a much used teaching technique to teach people to paint and that has it's reasons. So for me there is nothing wrong with some one coppying a piece (although giving credit would be nice but when getting references from google that is not always possible).

I once found a coppy (more or less :p) off a piece I did on Facebook and to be honest I felt a bit flatterd by that :).

Another thing to realise is that the airbrush technique is verry well suited for people that can't draw but do want to paint. I think a lot off airbrushers (no offence meant :D) couldn't draw a picture if their life depended on it but as they are using the airbrush they can still make great pictures they can be proud off, even if they are coppies. Making original art is just not for everybody and whats wrong with them having fun copying someone elses art.

So in general I would agree with you (although I think you do state it a tad harsh) but given the medium used and the people using it there are exceptions for me.

ps. Just to be sure this was in no way meant as an "attack". I just felt the urge to clarify why one see's so many coppies on airbrush forums.
    pss. Sorry for deviating from the original post.
  15. NaamaEnkeli

Many good points my friend ;)
    Yep, that: "selling the calendars thing" made me shake the tree pretty hard.. This is not a hobby anymore, we are selling it!
    When we begin to sell art, we have to take into account the trademark rights, copyrights and good taste!
    I really do not mean photorealism copying of the freely distributable photograph, but the artistic idea, still life or vison, etc..
  16. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Naama, I don't believe we are selling the calender in the traditional sense. Yes there will be an exchange of money for a calender, but it is not for general sale, or for gaining profit. It is a collection of art produced by the members, voted for by other members, in recognition of their achievements, (either technical, most improved, most determined, most helpful etc, etc, there are many reasons why people vote for POM) and gathered together for those who want one at the cost of producing it. It will then hang in our little workshops, cubbyholes, basements, as a show of support for fellow members, and an inspiration for those of us still learning.

It will not be going on general public sale at inflated prices, for the purpose of making money from others original work.

Copying art has been a valid learning method for hundreds of years, even the masters did it, from those who came before. It only becomes an issue if people are claiming it as their own, or making money at someone else's expense. And that is not happening here. I know many members are very conscientious about contacting people where possible, to ask permission to use something. There are very few professionals on this forum, most just want to airbrush to see if they can.

"...there is also some bad-bad art copy what I cant stand... If somebody copy other artists work line by line, I think its more about crime than art..."

While you are entitled to your opinion, I'm afraid I find this statement offensive, if it directed towards the members here. The reason most people join, is because they are learning, and want to share that experience, gain advice from others doing similar things, have fun doing it, and hopefully improve their ability for their own personal satisfaction. Some like to produce original work, (and all original work is inspired by something, whether concious or unconcious,) and some just enjoy the process of painting, and like the masters of old will copy to improve their skills, and just for the fun of it. So what is bad-bad to you, is more likely a milestone reached in someones personal journey, that they are proud of and want to share with others who understand that feeling of acheivement. To then associate that person with crime is at best a hugely sweeping statement, and at worst, highly offensive. If you are aware of someone deliberately copying others work for the purposes of criminal activity, then please share that information with forum admin.

We should indeed be very aware of what is "good taste"
    Boltcase, Cordyk, Diegojavbau and 5 others like this.
  17. WhiteKnight

The only reason we would sell it is to cover the cost of making them, no profit seeking there. We would sell it to our members only (who know what PoM is), not at Wallmart. Finally if the work is based on someone else's work we would give credit. I think that all this copyright stuff is really being exaggerated by some, it was first introduced to try and help creaters of original works, so a competitor could not just reproduce the work and sell it as his own. If things keep going we will no longer be able to paint anything.
    ZisisBFL, MeeshellMP and Maple Art like this.
  18. NaamaEnkeli

I repeat: "I just say, why I woted "no"".
  19. twood

I have to put my 2 cents in....Not a personal attack
    But taking 2 or 3 different pictures off google and making a collage is doing everything you said you were against. Point being is your Jack Sparrow....
    I have seen all the images you used all over google.,
    Its not all about copying for most, but taking an image and using an airbrush in your own hands and producing a piece of art. Like yourself, we all do things differently to get effects and that is the cool thing about it.
    This is not the first post of yours attacking us about copying
    Go to your room....no supper for you....lol
    Cheers
    Cordyk, matty171, Madbrush and 2 others like this.
  20. NaamaEnkeli

Yes! This is done ART!
    Pointing to good taste, by linking those reference photos I used.