Poster Board

Rick Martin

Detail Decepticon!
How do you pros prep your posterboard. I wiped mine with degreaser. My problem is when just starting out i blow out alot. Can i mist a light coat of my base over the area i want to add detail too.

How do you pros prep your posterboard. I wiped mine with degreaser. My problem is when just starting out i blow out alot. Can i mist a light coat of my base over the area i want to add detail too.

If you blow out a lot when you start out and you know it's going to happen, start out on a piece of scrap paper until it stops.

What base are you referring to? You shouldn't need to prep poster board at all but if you felt the need to you can hit with a coat of water based Matt varnish, this makes erasing and such easier, will even give you the ability to wipe a blow out away, I wouldn't just mist in a particular area as this would give that area a different finish when your work was completed, meaning it could end up glossier than the rest of the job so iether do it all or leave it alone.

@Micha der Wolf varnishes his No.4 airbrush paper to make it work better for him with outstanding success as you've no doubt seen.

My scrap paper is a different texture than posterboard. I always do warm ups for around 15 minutes or so to dial yhe brush in for that day as everyday is different. When i say mist a base im talking about the lightest color in the reference over the entire piece. Seems it would give paint something to adhere to. I could be wrong on this thought though.

My scrap paper is a different texture than posterboard. I always do warm ups for around 15 minutes or so to dial yhe brush in for that day as everyday is different. When i say mist a base im talking about the lightest color in the reference over the entire piece. Seems it would give paint something to adhere to. I could be wrong on this thought though.

In that case just proceed as normal, there is no need to base anything on poster board, I mean your paint will adhere to it just fine, I don't know what poster board you're using but unless it's plastic coated like some foam boards it just doesn't need any prep, except as I said, if you want to make erasing easier throw some clear Matt varnish onto it.

Not sure your going to be able to see this but the board on one side has a glossy finish to it the other side is dull.
20171104_130200_opt.jpg

Thats just left over from pieces ive cut to dimensions i want. Im trying the dull sode now and see if it makes a difference. Its not that thick its .25 mm thick.

Thats just left over from pieces ive cut to dimensions i want. Im trying the dull sode now and see if it makes a difference. Its not that thick its .25 mm thick.

The shiny side is supposed to be the working side, you'll probably find that the dull will be extremely porous and difficult if not impossible to erase on.

Yes, the shiny side is the one you work on, is is way less porous than the paper and will spider easier! I love poster board myself.

I just start painting on it , I have never wiped it down I just draw up the layout and stated painting . Unless of course I want it on black LOL

I don't normally prep it, maybe a quick wipe down if I think it needs it, window cleaner seems to be good. I know it's cheap and an easy surface to work.

Not very easy for me. Im blowing out like crazy. I got so frustrated i almost put my fist through the board and easle. Wife said if it fustrates you that bad its time to hang it up.lol

Not very easy for me. Im blowing out like crazy. I got so frustrated i almost put my fist through the board and easle. Wife said if it fustrates you that bad its time to hang it up.lol
Your using comart still right? If so give it a rattle can white or black or what ever color you want to have as you base. then try it again. Comart does not play on slick surfaces well

I tried com art but it was terrible switched to wicked detail and it got better but still bad. I will post a pic

Back