For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

"Prince" portrait tutorial -(updated version)

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Robbie Kass, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Robbie Kass

Robbie Kass SpectraTexas Ranger!

A lot of users have inquired about how I do my portraits, so below I have listed the step by step that I use along with pictures during the process. Here is the finished product before clear coat.
    [​IMG]
    First I find a good reference photo and go to Kinkos to print out a high quality rendering from there photo kiosk. then I print a larger photo of the same picture the exact size I want it. I prep a white painted composite toilet seat with a red scotch brite and wipe it down with prep and grease remover and tape the larger photo i printed where I want it and lay graphite transfer paper below it. Next I trace out the image and darker areas. After that I hit my lines with white paint so they are very light and begin working.
    [​IMG]
    I start with white and add a drop of orange yellow and blue to neutralize the warmth. In color theory you neutralize the tone of the color you don't want by adding its opposite color on the color wheel.( if you get a color with too much orange, add blue. If your mixture has too much purple add yellow, and so on) I start with one of the lighter values in the photo and slowly work the darkest areas and blend out. ( I also keep some copy paper handy that I will paint the corners with and hold next to the reference pic to make sure my tones are close)
    [​IMG]
    I add more color to my existing mixture to make it darker after I finish with each tone.
    [​IMG]
    Each time I go a little darker adding what ever colors I am trying to achieve, including the occasional drop of black.
    [​IMG]
    ^Here i have added some red mixture for the lips.
    [​IMG]
    ... and continue adding more color to the mixture. Sometimes I mix in some intercoat clear to reduce these darker mixtures from building too quickly.
    [​IMG]
    Now I added purple for his jacket and a dark gray (not black) for his hair... after doing so I decided to add some more dark values in his flesh tones.
    [​IMG]
    Now it's time to add the eye color. The lighting makes it look green, but its more of a light brown hazel color. when I'm painting other portraits where the eyes are blue I use a cool light gray with very little actual blue (I find people often use too much color in the eyes of a portrait, someone with blue eyes typically doesn't actually have "blue" eyes.
    [​IMG]
    Most people say not to use strait black on a portrait, and for the most part thats true. However what I do next is fill my airbrush with intercoat clear and add about 2 drops of black and slowly begin building the darkest values.
    [​IMG]
    After I'm finished building all the deepest values (adding a little more black to the inter coat clear mixture for the hair and other dark areas) I cut out the image I printed with an exacto knife and use it as a make to clean up all the over-spray using white.
    [​IMG]
    Next I add the highlights using some white also reduced with some inter coat clear (but not quite as much)
    [​IMG]
    I take the mask I cut for removing the over-spray and apply it again to prevent the color I choose for the background from hazing the portrait.
    [​IMG]
    ... and now we're ready to clear coat.
    [​IMG]
  2. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Excellent job!! And fantastic tutorial!!
  3. ferret

ferret Needle-chuck Ninja

Thank you very much Robbie for taking the time to share this with us . I like the way you just start with the white and keep adding to it to produce what you need and then shifting it accordingly . Saves having to mix loads of different colours seperatly and also helps with the problem of blue shift . I for one will be trying this way on the next portrait I attempt .
  4. MarcosD

MarcosD Mac-Valve Maestro!

Very nice portrait!!! And thanx fo the sbs!!

Marcos IPhone's
  5. jejestyle

jejestyle Double Actioner

6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Nice portrait as usual and a great how to. Thanks for sharing

Lee
  7. hamaf

hamaf Gravity Guru

You made it sound easy.. :-D Excellent result!
  8. mickolaus

mickolaus Double Actioner

Thanks for the great SBS, done very well!...
  9. bandicoot11

bandicoot11 Young Tutorling

excellent job. and tutorial