Proper way to clean an airbrush

that would depend on the paint... and how dried it is.

are you asking about a general clean after a session or paint left in the brush for days?

Createx restorer will dissolve any dried on waterbased paint.
enamel paint would require thinners

you need to be aware that rubber seals exposed to thinners or Restorer will self destruct.

A bit more detail about the paint / brush and we can give a more detailed answer.

you can spray it out, tip it out, lick it out but this isn't recommended... you can use paint stripper, you can use all manner of things. Perhaps reword the question.

Here is a good youtube guide on cleaning an airbrush, might help.

I agree- it depends on what paint you are using and how long it has been in there. I give my brushes a complete teardown and a thorough scrubbing, but I may not use them (or get time to clean them properly) for several months.

Hi I'm new on this forum, so let me add some question in here pls ;)

I've bought an ULTRASONIC Cleaner, where you giving a quick bath to your airbrush ;)
I've heard advices that the bath can be done with the warm water...
We all well know what the tap water causing to the ironing, washing machines and other water using devices...
I were planning then,to use a distilled water for the bath ...?
There is on the market some "tablets", they suppose to keep your devices working even longer in good condition...
Would you recommend to use distilled water at all for the ultrasonic bath?
With or without
If not, what to use?
An original airbrush cleaner?

That would depend on the paint used. Using distilled water with anything other than waterbased/waterbourne paint won't work.

What paint are you using ?
The video above should explain things well enough

I use tap water. With some glass cleaner.
Then I rinse everything with clean water.
And I blow everything dry. Before I put things back together.
If you live in a place with hard water, you can also use a bottle of drinking water.

edit
I assume it's about waterbased paint

Its my understanding (dont quote me on this) that an ultrasonic cleaner uses the ultrasonic waves in the fluid to microscopically separate looser particles (ie dried paint) from more bonded particles (ie the metal of the airbrush). It should work on solvent based paints just as well as on water based paints. Someday I'd like to invest in one of these cleaners. There do seem to be a lot of myths floating around regarding their use.

Its my understanding (dont quote me on this) that an ultrasonic cleaner uses the ultrasonic waves in the fluid to microscopically separate looser particles (ie dried paint) from more bonded particles (ie the metal of the airbrush). It should work on solvent based paints just as well as on water based paints. Someday I'd like to invest in one of these cleaners. There do seem to be a lot of myths floating around regarding their use.
They are awesome, we use them to clean the turbine parts in every service, and you use water with soap or kerosene depending the part material, mostly water and soap! In jewelry are widely used!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

That would depend on the paint used. Using distilled water with anything other than waterbased/waterbourne paint won't work.

Yes my friend, video above is great and full of great knowledge of somebody experienced but there is no mention of ultrasound cleaners and what bath should be made of ...
And you right, just pure distilled water might not clean the airbrush at all...
I'm going to use Createx Wicked Detail paints...

I use tap water. With some glass cleaner.
Then I rinse everything with clean water.
And I blow everything dry. Before I put things back together.
If you live in a place with hard water, you can also use a bottle of drinking water.

edit
I assume it's about waterbased paint
Yes Createx Wicked is water based paint,you were right ;)
I'm living in Bradford UK and I have no idea what kind of tap water is in here ;)

This is exactly why I have bought one of those ;)
I've read description and it's very close what you have said above ;)
So I'm assuming they are right advising to use just warmed up water ;)

They are awesome, we use them to clean the turbine parts in every service, and you use water with soap or kerosene depending the part material, mostly water and soap! In jewelry are widely used!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Thanks a lot ;)
Your answer telling a lot ;)
I will dig the subject online a bit yet, just to make sure, but I guess that the water + some glass (window) cleaner will do the job ;)
Thanks a lot ;)

I use an ammonia based glass cleaner or Formula 409 to clean my brushes with and without the ultrasonic cleaner. Caution - Don't leave your brush parts sitting in the solution for a day or two if you like the chrome finish on your brush. The chemicals will turn the finish black and/or remove it all together.

Hi I'm new on this forum, so let me add some question in here pls ;)

I've bought an ULTRASONIC Cleaner, where you giving a quick bath to your airbrush ;)
I've heard advices that the bath can be done with the warm water...
We all well know what the tap water causing to the ironing, washing machines and other water using devices...
I were planning then,to use a distilled water for the bath ...?
There is on the market some "tablets", they suppose to keep your devices working even longer in good condition...
Would you recommend to use distilled water at all for the ultrasonic bath?
With or without
If not, what to use?
An original airbrush cleaner?
I use an ammonia based glass cleaner or Formula 409 to clean my brushes with and without the ultrasonic cleaner. Caution - Don't leave your brush parts sitting in the solution for a day or two if you like the chrome finish on your brush. The chemicals will turn the finish black and/or remove it all together.
Good point ! Thanks ;)
And theeeee ... formula 409?
I know nothing about it ;)
Can I search eBay for this?
Thanks a lot ;)

Back