For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Quick-ish full size jean texture

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Robbyrockett2, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

As promised to @Rookie76 here is a quick demo of my full size jean texture. Maybe there are better ways to do this IDK but I honestly felt like I got a more detailed texture than what I could find online anywhere and there were no tutorials except for videos for purchase. When I felt I was getting as detailed or more detailed texture than the pics seemed to show on the video tutorials I went for it. It took many hours of experimenting.

These pics are horrible quality but they should be enough to get the Idea across.
    To see some better closeups see the thread
    http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/panties-and-paint.19936/

In my experience it was all about layering.

Step 1
    I start with A white basecoat which I streak vertically. There is full coverage but not full opacity everywhere. Just random vertical streaks at varying distances.
    jean1.jpg

Step 2
    I use a stencil to make some very solid clean vertical stripes with blue (same blue in step 3)
    Just a few stripes does the trick, I used 4-6 on her thighs.
    This stencil I printed a bar code and cut a couple of strips out then put on some painters tape to keep it from warping all over the place after the first use.
    jean2.jpg jeanstencilstripe.jpg

Step 3
    Now I start quick vertical freehand stripes with a blue I've darkened with orange. But I only make close up, quick vertical stripes. It's not quite indigo colored because I found matching a dark indigo showed up too dark on the skin, almost black. It's pretty dark though. This is the only color besides white used. I tried mixing it up with lighter shades of blue in the process but lighter blues just seem to almost glow and be too bright no matter what (which is what I did not like about most of the examples I could find), your better off to spray lighter with a darker color.

jean3.jpg

Step 4
    Now I start to use my mesh
    I ended up using a Gain brand lingerie bag for washing panties and stuff in
    This is a close up of the mesh I used and a not so close up so you can find something with this type of weave.
    jeanclosemesh.jpg jeanfarmesh.jpg
    I lay it on with those zigzags running at a 45 deg angle to the stripes and I spray some blue through it.
    Then I lay it on vertically and spray some white through it.
    jean5.jpg

Step 6
    Now I fog it lightly with blue
    jean6.jpg

Step 7
    I lay the mesh back on and do the vertical white lightly

Step 8
    I add a few tiny dots of blue

Step 9
    I lighten it all up with a dusting of white and especially the worn areas. This is where it starts to really come to life. I did not do heavily worn areas on my arm as it wipes out a lot of the texture in heavy areas, though not completely.

Step 10
    I do a figure 8 pattern at a distance such that my spray pattern is about 20mm or 3/4", using a light spray and my "8"'s are probably 2-4" or 5-9cm big

It's actually kind of amazing the way the layering can turn your sloppy thick vertical stripes to look as though they are very even and straight ,varying width ,slightly varying color stripes, just as many real jeans have.

Even with the dye-like alcohol based paints you get some "cracking" and/or wrinkling
    Its not really cracking just areas that didnt get as much paint when the skin was relaxed that end up getting stretched or whatever. This is where the layering really kicks in. The natural skin texture will actually make your paint job wear into looking even better as the person does some moving around.
    You can see it if you study the leg very closely.

Now start throwing on pockets, stitches, buttons wrinkles and you will be very impressed with yourself. :)
    When I did it I initially thought, oh that's pretty good, better than some of the ones Ive seen I guess.
    Then you start slapping on those details and it kind of surprised me.

They are made with a short stitch stencil and just hand sheilding with straight edges to throw in some darker blue at edges/ whitening those worn patterns at the high spots btw.

jean final.jpg
    lizbodykneehole.png
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Robbyrockett2

Almost forgot, to get a more stonewashed kind of pattern you can toss in some blue and white micro dots and do the white as a figure 8 as well as the blue.

Also it take sjust a few tries to really nail this, but once you do it's very easy after that

If its not on skin you may find you want to go a little heavier on the steps where you use white with the mesh, but its important to do that part relatively even.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    HellBird, Rookie76 and jord001 like this.
  3. NEMOPa

NEMOPa Elite Member! Elite Member!

Thank you for shareing. Really a neat technique. While I'll probably never get into body painting, I am interested in learning...
    Robbyrockett2 and jord001 like this.
  4. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That's a great wright up Robby, thanks for sharing. They really did come out crazy good! Nice work figuring out the method that works for you.
    Robbyrockett2 and jord001 like this.
  5. Rookie76

Rookie76 Double Actioner

That's an awesome instructional Robby!! Many thanks for the detailed write up..Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  6. Robbyrockett2

Never know when you'll need a denim texture for a fuel tank or a mural or something.
    SiRoxx, ilzeairbrushing and Rookie76 like this.
  7. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Cool little sbs :D Thanks for sharing
  8. Robbyrockett2

Thanks guys!.... you should see the pile of failures. LOL
    Hopefully I can improve this and maybe make it a bit quicker if I play around some more.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  9. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That’s a cool idea of doing denim on a tank! I love that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Jonathon

Jonathon Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Thx...will keep this in mind...very informative post...much appreciated