For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Quick skull

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by J000seph, Jan 19, 2017.

1. J000seph

J000seph Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

IMG_5758.JPG

This was a quick skull done on Yupo using Createx Illustration Colors & Gerald Mendez Texture FX.

I printed my reference & cut a basic stencil. I loaded my HP-CS Eclipse up with gray & sprayed the background & key features. Then I went to town with an eraser to create a base texture:
    IMG_5733.JPG

Next (still using the same gray) I applied the first layer of Texture FX:
    IMG_5734.JPG

Then, I put a couple drops of black & transbase in my CM-C+ and began to darken the darkest areas. I also revisited some places with an eraser, also adding more Texture FX:

IMG_5738.JPG

After that I switched to strait black still using CM-C+:
    IMG_5757.JPG

Finally, still using straight black more shading & more Texture FX:
    IMG_5758.JPG

Let me know what you think!

What would you have done differently?

What could I have done to improve the overall appearance?

I'm hoping this step by step & your feedback can help everyone learn something.

Yes, I'm asking for criticism :)
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod Artist of the Month!

Short sweet and too the point! Nice
    J000seph likes this.
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod Artist of the Month!

Did you have a reference you were working too? I wonder if the eye sockets could be a bit darker but would be interested in seeing it against the ref. I like the texture.
    J000seph likes this.
  4. J000seph

IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5752.JPG

so obviously I didn't used the "flip" method & copy! It was a loose reference. Like I said, "quick one" haha :)

I love the Gerald Mendez texture fx. I haven't tried the fx 2 yet. Fx 3 is delayed because Gerald pulled paint up removing frisket for the artwork for it! Oops!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    musicmacd likes this.
  5. J000seph

I did notice that when I freehanded the little squiggle between his eyes I got the bridge of his nose a little too low. But it was such a good squiggle I didn't want to change it haha
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

I think it's good work, good SBS, I've learnt smth from this:)
    But it looks to me it's on the half way to finish. Some work on the background, some sharper edges and more pronounced highlights would create focal point and whole work would look 3D, now it looks like background part of big work where something else is in focus, but not the scull. You could continue working on this. It's my opinion.
    J000seph likes this.
  7. J000seph

I thought that it looked a little flat or 2 dimensional also. I was hesitant to erase again to bring out the highlights. And I definitely didn't want to add white. This is my 4th skull & I ruined the first couple by erasing too far along into the painting. And I've created blue shift by adding white paint for highlights. It would be easy enough to sharpen some edges. How would you approach the highlights? Maybe I should just order the skull "classroom in a box"..
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    markjthomson likes this.
  8. markjthomson

For me I'd look at using some additional methods to get some texture. Can be a bit tricky on the yupo. Maybe a combo of speckling and some more highlights. The texture FX give a fantastic start for the base of it. Bringing out the sharp highlights around some of the edges would make it look less flat I feel as well. Like you said, it was a quick one and for that level it's great.
  9. J000seph

Maybe I'll use the same stencil & try some different techniques. I considered stippling on this one but decided against it for some reason. Also, using sepia seems much easier for me than using black & gray. I anticipated more errors. Something I need more practice with.
    markjthomson likes this.
  10. J000seph

IMG_5768.JPG

Took a better picture
    The dude and markjthomson like this.
  11. The dude

The dude Detail Decepticon!

@J000seph for a quick one its awesome and you gotta love a quickie:malicious::malicious::D I dont know if its the photo or actually it is that dark,if it is that dark that would be what I would change...if it was meant to be that dark then I would pick out some highlights ie. where its black make the outer edge that little bit lighter than the rest.Hope this helps:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    J000seph likes this.
  12. Vladimir

I wouldn't ever use white for the highlights unless it's night scene with reflected moon light or smth similar on black surface when you work with white colour. I've spoiled only one work with white for lightening the colour which was applied too dark. Never did that again. Though, it's usual mistake for every beginner to apply white and as a result to have blue colour shift.

On this one you could sharpen the edges by making the shields for the scull shape to protect it against the overspray. Then put it on the scull and spray the background. You'll have background like on the reference and sharper edges on the scull at once.
    But seems like you call it finished:)

The highlights I'd do with a pencil erasers (hard and soft) and the blades. What tool in particular depends on the surface and the highlight is - sharp, small, brighter or duller. Once the highlights are done with the tool (erased) then you can apply some paint to dull it. It's not usual we have extreme white highlights they're often aren't very bright.
    I think making the highlights is an easy thing in ABing.

I'd work with over reduced paint for not to overshoot the colour both on the background and darkening the highlights where required.

In this case you worked using one paint applying it over and over again to get desired darkness, am I right?
  13. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Has a lovely ethereal feel to it, but most of your does :)
    J000seph likes this.
  14. J000seph

I prefer the term "dreamy" :p
    musicmacd likes this.
  15. J000seph

The approach you described is what I attempted. I have been working on making my erasing less sloppy. I got a fiber pencil that helps for certain things. I remind myself not to have a heavy hand. That is why I held back maybe too much.

The colors I used were:
    Gray
    Trans with little black
    Over reduced black
    Black

I wonder if I should have used a darker gray for mid tones or if the trans black was able to cover medium values? I chose trans so not to lose texture.
  16. J000seph

IMG_5773.JPG

Here is a pic in the daytime. Sunlight coming thru the window makes a big difference. Maybe I need a better lamp..
    The dude likes this.
  17. Vladimir

I forgot to mention fiberglass pen:)

So you did that in transparent technique.
    You know, maybe you will find opaque technique better for you. Daniel Power explains the technique greatly in his Power Series Level 1.
    Opaque tech is more forgiving as you can correct your mistakes many times while transparent tech doesn't forgive any. But the best technique is knowledge how to combine them, then the results will be on top;)
    J000seph likes this.
  18. J000seph

I attended a Dru Blair workshop & have an understanding of opaques & buffered colors. I will check out Daniel Powers. I have been experimenting with different things like transparents. Some with success & some in the trash can :)
    Vladimir likes this.
  19. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Mac-Valve Maestro!

I love it! I should have used the fx stencil on the last one I did. Great post love the sbs, very neat and learn so much from all of you!
    J000seph likes this.
  20. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

It came out great. My question is how did you find the Yupo? I am finding it too delicate for me, and find it very easy to damage, and that's being ultra careful and aware. I might have to accept its not for me......Nah.... maybe I'll swear at it a bit more first lol.
    J000seph likes this.