Regulator Not Affecting PSI to Airbrush

D

Digimortal

Hi All

I am currently using a BA 1100 compressor with a 3 Litre Air Tank and an standard black and red regulator that seems to be on nearly every mid range compressor in the UK.

I switch the unit on and the system cuts out when it reaches 50-60 PSI, I start using the brush and it drops before kicking in again when the tank pressure drops to 40 I think.

Anyway my issue is, I thought the regulator was supposed to limit the airflow out of the tank to the brush, I eventually figured out how to unlock the cap and turn it, but regardless of which way I turn the rugulator or how much I seem to get only maximum PSI from the tank.

So my questions are, should the regulator control air pressure to the airbrush and will the needle give me any indication of what the flowthrough pressure to the brush is?

Or have I misinterpreted the function of this unit?

Or do i have a fault?

Video I used to learn about regulator lock:

Set the regulator while you have the air depressed on the airbrush.....As soon as you let the air off , the gauge will increase
Cheers

Being you only have a single gauge on that regulator it is only showing tank pressure and not working pressure
871613007607_07752319.jpg
This one show what both the tank and the tool are using or holding.
So the turn knob on yours is just you guessing what the pressure it coming out of the compressor .If it is like the on in the video

Being you only have a single gauge on that regulator it is only showing tank pressure and not working pressure
View attachment 50584
This one show what both the tank and the tool are using or holding.
So the turn knob on yours is just you guessing what the pressure it coming out of the compressor .If it is like the on in the video

Thanks for that, this video shows the needle dropping to indicate the pressure set: Is this accurate or has the poster misunderstood?:

Set the regulator while you have the air depressed on the airbrush.....As soon as you let the air off , the gauge will increase
Cheers

Thanks for the tip, I am out of the country until the weekend, so will test and report back then.

Thanks for that, this video shows the needle dropping to indicate the pressure set: Is this accurate or has the poster misunderstood?:
That is correct But also not as accurate as having a dual gauge set up. Air on working pressure can changed while working depending on how often the compressor kicks on and how long it take to build pressure.

Makes Sense, Thanks.

So essentially I should be able to replicate what we see in the second video and if not it is likely a fault with the compressor?

Makes Sense, Thanks.

So essentially I should be able to replicate what we see in the second video and if not it is likely a fault with the compressor?
Pretty much , If the pressure is not reading correctly in the first place how can you adjust it.
But even on the dual air gauges I always have the air on when setting what PSI I want to work at .

Forgot about this thread, but I fixed the issue and this may be useful for any that have a similar issue in future.

The black plastic cap on top of the regulator nozzle threaded it's teeth resulting in the PSI no changing when turning the cap. To fix this I just took the cap off and turn the metal pin with some pliars.

Back