Resurrected a couple of dogs (Iwata HP-B's)

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I purchased a pair of older Iwata HP-B's that were being sold as "for parts" off a couple of Ebay ads. I noticed they were from the same seller, and there was a make an offer option, so asked to bundle them, and purchased both of them. I figured I could probably build one usable brush out of the parts. Besides, if I needed, I do have some extra parts already on hand for these particular brushes.

They came in, and I will say they were actually in better shape than I had expected. One was missing a needle cap, and both had bent needle tips. There was plenty of dried "paint" in all the usual places - I suspect it was actually nail polish, or something similar.

24177036_1331377946967790_3644410933923303279_n.jpg

I tore both brushes down to bare bones. All the O-rings were removed from the brush bodies, needle packing removed, air valves stripped, everything. Everybody went for a soak or two in the ultrasonic cleaner, acetone, ultrasonic cleaner, soapy water, ultrasonic cleaner - small interdental brush scrub, repeat until there was not a spec of paint left anywhere - no sign of residue, no nothing, but bright shiny plating.

24068231_1331378126967772_1913855798024990959_n.jpg

I re-assembled one of them using a set-up I have been rebuilding Olympos brushes with, in that I went with a Micron .18 nozzle/needle, and smaller air cap vs. the standard on HP-B. I also upgraded the spring retainer, guide, and adjuster with parts from the Micron side of the family. Air valve and needle springs replaced with custom wound units I have been testing, and topped off with a black pre-set handle.

24129952_1331378223634429_6124173567505768166_n.jpg

The second brush required the same sort of attention in the cleaning department. This one also needed a replacement nozzle, because it was broken just below the flange, and fell apart while being re-installed. I kept this one as stock, with the exception of replacing the springs with the softer ones I prefer. I repaired one of the bent needle tips using my Sharpenair, and re-installed it into the .2 set up. The .18 uses a Micron needle, so I also repaired the .2 needle that came out of that brush, and put it away for future use.

24232970_1331378306967754_3543398723477179588_n.jpg

Both are spraying the way I would expect them too, and feel as if they are new. The dogs turned into a fantastic pair of brushes. Yippie!

Ooh I want one! I'd really like to pick up an HP-A
I did some bidding on a few older Iwata HP-A's, but lost as the price started getting higher than I wanted to go. I wanted to convert one to .18 to match the Olympos Hp-100A/.18 version I have.

I saw those lots on e-bay for these ABs that now are yours and thought then how lucky would be the buyer, as the price was very low and ABs only looked very dirty, but there were no visible scratches on them. On your photo arrived ABs look much cleaner compared to what I saw on e-bay. I thought, just a bit cleaning and they would be in good condition. Dave, you've done exactly what I thought:) Glad for you! Nice brushes for not much $$.
I haven't bid as I have no interest in B models. And it seems I've lowered the degree of AAD;)

What is there on the photo bottom left? Some Iwata tool?

What is there on the photo bottom left? Some Iwata tool?

It is one of the needle packing adjustment tools in the Iwata tool kit -

19247702_1162403177198602_1437902832610591522_n.jpg

They come in 1.2 and 1.4 mm to work on the different size teflon packing seals. The post fits the seal snugly, while it has two flats to engage the slot in the retaining screw. You can feel the resistance while installing, so no need to try it with the needle to see if you got it right.

Price was decent, but there was some damage beyond just dried paint. One was dropped hard enough that the nozzle was broken when the needle was bent... I am happy with the purchase, and would do it again, for sure.

Back