Rookie, Beginner, Weekend Hack Non-Artist!

Awesome. Looks like you’re ready to go, so dirty the chrome beauty up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I sure hope ya clean out that pig barn :D but I guess it does beat painting in on ol chicken coop all that down flying around could make for an interesting time slinging paint.

When I bought the property almost 20 years ago, it had been used as a pig barn. I now use it for all kinds of ADD projects, Painting, Building sub boxes (there's two of them in the first pic), cabinets, metal work, blah, blah, blah.

It looks like a bit of a mess right now, but that is because I have just gone through it and threw out a whole bunch of junk. The second pic is my air wall from a compressor located outside in it's own little enclosure. Pig Barn.jpg Pig Barn air wall.jpg

Nice work area! It seems as big as the first floor of my house. :( My "futility" room is smaller for sure.

Damn! That’s a hell of a painting space. I wish I had that kind of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like excitement OldFatBald
is the corn for scale, or you are taking airbrushing into strange new levels?

@HellBird, yes it was that cold (we have since moved from there, growing zone 2b to a 6b),
unfortunately my buddy in the pic did not make the trip, and is waiting for me on the other side

...is the corn for scale, or you are taking airbrushing into strange new levels?...

Ahhh, someone finally noticed the non-Iwata baby corn!, Very important part of the puzzle, I figured that as important as baby corn is to painting automotive paints that I should include it with my first airbrushing attempts.

Ahhh, someone finally noticed the non-Iwata baby corn!, Very important part of the puzzle, I figured that as important as baby corn is to painting automotive paints that I should include it with my first airbrushing attempts.
o_ONot quite following you on the importance of baby corn to automotive paints. Unless it's actually a can of lima beans that you painted over... ;)
You any closer to painting yet or is it still too cold?

Oh nice setup, hey wait I recognize that brush ``squints eyes
LOL

Yeah, my idea was to get an SBS, mess around with it for a while, then invite someone over like yourself to do the real artwork while I sweep the floor and watch, then take credit as "Co-Creator"

It's a plan, maybe flawed, but it is a plan!

o_ONot quite following you on the importance of baby corn to automotive paints. Unless it's actually a can of lima beans that you painted over... ;)
You any closer to painting yet or is it still too cold?

Still too cold to paint here in Nor Cal, probably a month away.

And OH MY!! I just spent way too much time going through the AutoAir website! Then I saw Coast Airbrush's classes down in SoCal... I may need a second job after finding this forum!

Yeah, my idea was to get an SBS, mess around with it for a while, then invite someone over like yourself to do the real artwork while I sweep the floor and watch, then take credit as "Co-Creator"

It's a plan, maybe flawed, but it is a plan!
lol meh you will be professional in no time, putting my portraits to shame :)

Hello all!
I found this site a bit of a while ago and have lurking around it and of course rabbit holing through YouTube.
First, let me say, unlike most of your folks, I am NOT an artist. When I was young, I wanted to be an artist but with no skills I ended up with circle templates, straight edges and ended up becoming a design engineer.

I also LOVE taking a perfectly good car, motorcycle or boat, tearing it apart, spending a bunch of time (and money) on em and making them mine! My current ride is a ’65 Caddy Deville Drop Top that lays frame.

Anyways about a year and a half ago I got into painting (automotive) and have so far only done small projects, some subwoofer boxes (that I made) and a couple of motorcycle tanks with pretty simple graphics. They have come out pretty well for a rookie weekender hack.

I have a nice upright 60 gallon upright tank with a 6-hp compressor and an air treatment wall.
That has been my latest crack-like addiction, started with one set of cheap spray guns (Devilbiss Starting Lines), which turned into needing a better spray gun (Devilbiss Finish Line), which led to another better spray gun, selling the first two cheapies guns and getting a better spray gun (Sagola 4600), then another (Sagola 4600) for only clears, then picking up an ANI R150 mini-gun along with a Sagola Mini-Extreme for more detail candies and pearls, then of course a full size ANI F150 for spraying flakes.

And now I have been looking at some airbrushes mostly for shading using the automotive basecoat paints in candies and pearls.
Most of my work will be on horizontal laid surfaces.

But now I am lost as I have been looking at everything from:
Devilbiss Dagr – I like the removable larger cup
Iwata Eclipse HP CS – Seems like the cup is kinda small for what I want to do
Iwata Eclipse HP BCS Siphon Bottle Feed – Now were talking…
Iwata Rg-3L – Cant find any real reviews or information – decent (cheap) price
Iwata Eclipse G3 – Now that really looks familiar! I can get a larger cup also but a bit pricey
Iwata Eclipse G6 fitted with a siphon bottle or the optional cup! Again a little pricy

Anyway, this turned into a little more than an introduction and I guess I should post some questions over in the Rookie, Beginner, Weekend Hack section!

Pics of the Caddy? Lets see them.

I'm ready, I just need our freezing Nor Cal temps to warm up just a bit - it has been getting down into the high 40s here - brrrrrr
Hell I paint out in my garage in the 40's LMAO.
And that is great use for a old pig barn, My property had an old milk barn on it but it was beyond repair so I just set is on fire and drank moonshine while it was burning .

Still too cold to paint here in Nor Cal, probably a month away.

And OH MY!! I just spent way too much time going through the AutoAir website! Then I saw Coast Airbrush's classes down in SoCal... I may need a second job after finding this forum!
David host some great classes plus check out Coast Aribrush TV http://www.coastairbrushtv.com/ and maybe even a third job :D

Back