For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Sanding base coat.

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by brushit, Mar 7, 2017.

1. brushit

brushit Double Actioner

About to start air brushing a Harley tank and mudguards. They have been prepped properly and black base coated. Should i sand the base coat before airbrushing for better grip for AB paint. Was going to use 1200 wet and dry to remove gloss and bring back to matt finish. Slight orange peel on components and a bit of dry spray. Any advice would be appreciated fellas.
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Does it have a seal clear coat to protect the base?
    Did you do all the prep work and base coat yourself or was it done before you got the tins?
    I also give the base coat a clear coat that way one I have protect having to redo the base or worse sanding through it and two a nice barrier for me to do my art work on .
    JackEb likes this.
  3. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Mac-Valve Maestro!

As above, plus grey scotch pad to scuff
  4. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

The gorilla tank I did had been prepared before I got it just like yours with a nice basecoat of black. I scuffed with grey scotchbright. Did the same with the elephant panniers .

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
    Micha der Wolf likes this.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

As you haven't painted it yourself, I would be tempted to hit it with some clear. One because if there are any reactions, or any lower layers that didn't dry, or any filler that didn't go off etc, then better to know now, than find out later after working on it for a week or however long.

Second, should anything go wrong you wont damage the layer below removing it.

If you painted it and knew it was 100%, then yes's just scuff and go. I learnt the hard way, that just because someone tells you something has been done "properly", or looks in good shape, doesn't mean it is.
    JackEb likes this.
  6. brushit

brushit Double Actioner

Thanks fellas, i really appreciate all the advice given. Just to fill in some gaps for you. I have been airbrushing for about 9 years as a hobby. Have done many,many helmets for satisfied customers. This is my first go at a tin set for a Harley. I received everything brand new from factory. All in raw steel form , as i know many out there have experienced. Bit of a shock. To cut a long story short, i was able to receive professional advice as to preparing them for airbrushing. As far as i know, it has all been done right so far. I had the tanks professionally sealed inside and the outside sand blasted.

The rest has been done by myself. Body filler where necessary, etch primer, and high build primer. Also tanks have 5 coats of gloss base coat. My idea was to sand with wet and dry 1200 grit where my airbrushing is going , just to give a bit of bight. Usually on helmets etc, i do some airbrushing and intermittently give a couple of light coats of auto clear coat as i go. Not only protects the artwork but builds up depth. I`m just a mug at this and am self taught. I just do what seems to work for me. Here`s some shots of the helmet i did for this customer , who is a Vietnam Veteran Sky Soldier, with Apache heritage. Going to do similar artwork on bike. Fingers crossed it all goes ok. Thanks guys and happy airbrushing. five.jpeg five.jpeg five.jpeg
    jsymac, doc1 and MeeshellMP like this.
  7. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Very nice helmet!