Side feeds

J

jared

Kind of want to get olympos hp 100 sb. So is this how it goes- a side feed will give you the responsiveness of gravity, until paint gets low then loose response from siphon.

I'm not sure if this meant as a statement that a side feed will lose response once you get low on paint in the cup?

If so, thats not my experience. I only used an Iwata CM-SB with side feed, but that keeps responding exactly the same till it runs out of paint.

I can't realy see how having less paint inthe cup could have a detrimental effect on the performance. It's a closed system, paint runs from cup to nozzle without any air getting to it, when moving the needle back airpressure sucks the paint out. It seems to me nothing changes till the paint is completely used up.

Have heard when paint goes below needle level it goes from gravity to siphon, people speak of a change in paint delivery at that point.

I don't see responsiveness problems. One thing I do is backflush a lot to mix my paint a lot. Unlike a gravity feed the paint has to pull back up through the cup and the head assembly.
The HP-100SB is a nice brush. I'm still getting use to the side cup, it's kind of in the way to the normal way I hold my gravity feeds.

Have heard when paint goes below needle level it goes from gravity to siphon, people speak of a change in paint delivery at that point.

With the CM-SB you realy have to fill the cup to the brim to get the paint above the height of the needle and as I never do that I thought I'd try this as what you said sounds plausible. I realy didn't notice any difference though (keeping a close eye to when it dropped below the level of the needle).

As I'm curious I did some quick research. From what I read (and as what you stated, this sounds pretty obvious) if the paint in the cup is above the level of the paint in the needle it would generate pressure so it might be considered gravity feed.

From what I quickly read the change in pressure is 1 PSI for every 2 feet difference though. Considdering I normaly paint at around 1,5 to 2 bar air pressure I doubt the pressure difference due to the paint height (which will be milimeters not feet) will outweigh the suction from the airpressure and thus make the behaviour change from gravity to suction. This is just a feeling I get from looking at the numbers by the way, I might just be wrong here :p

i didn't notice any difference, but again, this was with an Iwata CM-SB. I won't exclude the possibility other guns behave in another way.

O.K. so answer is no change.Just would like to try side feed. Olympos hp100sb $80 I think. Why not!!

Back