Silent box to put the compressor in ??

J

João Genial

Silent box to put the compressor in ??
Is this a stupid idea ?

I'm thinking of building a box with a dense material to isolate the noise from the compressor.
What's your opinion is this a completely stupid idea ?

Thanks !

Air compressors make a lot of heat. What size are you talking about?

Theres a thread on here somewhere about this.
I can't remember who or what the thread was called but if you can find it, it should answer all your questions.

Your only issue is heat. If you are talking about a little single or dual piston compressor you could probably get away with using computer case fans. In fact you could use a old computer case as a box for the little tankless compressors. If your talking about something bigger you can do what I have temporally doing. I have a California Air Tools 1610A with the 1.6 gal tank and although it is quiet by most compressor standards I live in a second floor apartment and noise is an issue. So I stuck it in a large hall closet adjacent to my studio and put foam padding under it for vibration and foam padding along the walls for dampening and run the hose under the door. I use a fan to ventilate it but even then I am always opening the closet when I take a break and put my hand on the motor to see if she is running hot. So far I have never tripped the thermal switch but because I am so worried about it I went ahead last Friday and bought a Silentaire 50-24 so that I can have it next to my desk and not have to worry about noise or heat ever again.

There is a thread from someone who built a box with fans and airways etc, but I can't find it or remember who posted it, it was a long time ago. But it is do-able, I can vaguely remember discussions about air recycling rates and heat dispersion, but not sure if that was attatched to the same thread. Anyway I remember the person being very happy with the results, as it became more of a background noise than an in your face ear shredder.

There is a thread from someone who built a box with fans and airways etc, but I can't find it or remember who posted it, it was a long time ago. But it is do-able, I can vaguely remember discussions about air recycling rates and heat dispersion, but not sure if that was attatched to the same thread. Anyway I remember the person being very happy with the results, as it became more of a background noise than an in your face ear shredder.

I had a compressor in a box once, but the it has a tendency to produce more water than air even with a fan, it will make just as much noise by the time it has been adapted to receive enough air at the intake, if you are very very lucky you might knock off 2 0r 3 decibels so it just isn't worth the hassle, I also remember the thread from someone who did one, but the same person was also spraying bicycle parts in a home made booth in their living room, and for some strange reason we've never heard from them again, I know for sure I could find the thread if I looked, but I won't because it's false economy especially when you consider that building one means your compressor would also require twice as much space.

If your compressor is making too much noise it's time for a suitable silent compressor or simply replace the noisy motor with a fridge compressor, there is enough info here on the forum to be able to carry this out yourself, and there a few who have done it who happily help you along.

Mate iv put my compressor in a box it works fine dropped the noise from 90 db down to 60 db just make sure it's vented and there is airflow to cool and dispel the heat

Mate search "compressor silencer " you will see the one I made. Sorry for some reason it won't let me post the link

Back