For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Silhouette Cameo - Cut some stencils

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by jagardn, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jagardn

jagardn Elite Member! Elite Member!

I've seen the Silhouette referenced in other threads, but I figured I'd show some stencils made with it.

I took the basic shapes of some of the Arttool, and traced them as an SVG in Inkscape.
    Note: Silhouette Design($50) version is needed to import SVG's, I already have been using inkscape a while, I am comfortable with it. The same type of designs can easily be made with the software that comes with it. I was just eliminating the learning curve.

I used Badger Stencil Film
    IMG_2274.jpg

Here is the layout of the stencils in the software
    IMG_2271.jpg
    The stencil paper on the adhesive cutting mat, while the machine was cutting.
    IMG_2272.jpg
    Here is the same design after peeling off the outer portions
    IMG_2273.jpg
    Here are the stencils I cut today, its pretty simple to use, if anyone is looking for a low cost plotter, I highly recommend it.
    IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg

Josh(Seamonkey), this is my attempt to make you spend money since you made me buy a Krome. ;)
  2. Air_fx

Air_fx Young Tutorling

I had not heard of this plotter, but now that I have I'm very interested in knowing more....Especially from guys using it to cut paint masks.....I've been wanting a plotter for along time so I can stop buggin the guys at the local sign shop for my paint masks....this little plotter seems like just the ticket.
  3. Talla

Talla Needle-chuck Ninja

I highly recommend this vinyl cutter. I got one for my birthday in January and cant stop plying with it. The software that comes with it does the job though as i get better at using it I am seeing some shortcomings. Just cut out a stencil using stencil vinyl for my latest project and it came out a dream Will be posted in WIP shortly. Also cut out some flame stencils, some french curves, a set of different size sperm (used in my last project) all cut out of the vinyl used for document covers.

I love this machine its fantastic once you get used to it.

If anyone is interested we could start a thread for swapping cutting files

Andy
  4. drobbins12

drobbins12 Spider Splatterer

I have the cameo as well, it's pretty bad ass for the price. But I am interested to know what material that you used, also, what level did you put the blade on for it.

Dylan
  5. Talla

Talla Needle-chuck Ninja

Hi Dylan, . I use a mylar (at least i think its mylar) transparent sheet. I buy packs of 5 A4 document covers used for doing presentation documents. I then cut the spine area off and voila ... transparency sheets! I cut them on blade setting 2 - 2.5. speed 9 thickness 30. For my proper self adhesivestencil vinyl I cut at 1 - 1.5 blade setting and use the vinly option in the cut settings to get speed and thickness.

Hope this helps.

Andy
  6. Air_fx

Air_fx Young Tutorling

I've been reading reviews and watching Youtube videos on this little plotter, and other then being a bit noisy it seems like sweet little setup for the money....This might be my next airbrush accessory purchase.
  7. jagardn

For the Badger stencil film I used the "printer paper" setting that was in the defaults
  8. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Moderator Mod

I will have one in April because if this you dirty dog, lol!!! That cameo is sexy ;)

Josh
  9. jagardn

Here is another Silhouette project I worked on tonight.

Some times you need a stencil with some rough edges(Skulls, rock, etc)

I was practicing with some torn cardboard to give me the rough edges, then a light bulb went off.

I coated one side of the cardboard with Createx Opaque Black, and took a picture.

IMG_2278.jpg
    Upped the contrast with then used the Threshold option in Pixelmator(Photoshop alternative for Mac)
    Ripped Cardboard 1.png

Created my Silhouette project and cut. Now I can re create the unique stencil if I ever lose or destroy the one I have. :)

IMG_2280.jpg
  10. Talla

Talla Needle-chuck Ninja

This is a design for my latest WIP cut from self adhesive stencil vinyl using the Silhoutte Cameo.
    WIP Bevelled butterfly.jpg
    Hehehe .... Its just cheating isnt it!:devilish:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. jagardn

Awesome! An industrial butterfly. Are you laying this on something for a stencil or using it as a window sticker?
  12. Alaskatazdvl

Alaskatazdvl Spider Splatterer

I got one of these for Christmas and love it. I can make my own stencils and do vinyl letters (custom logos, etc.) to make a little money too. One thing I fight with on this is the tracing feature I just can't seem to figure it out. I did find a separate software called "Make-The-Cut" and it looks a bit easier to use with video lessons on youtube and what not. Here's the link to the site Make the Cut!™ - Offical Website - Greatest cutter software yet created! Anyhow, one question I had was if anyone has a good source for free stencil downloads and what not? Just curious.
  13. jgny1

jgny1 Needle-chuck Ninja

You just cut them out of paper, or is that just the setting?
  14. jagardn

I used the Badger stencil film in my first post, it is for longer term use and is solvent resistent. Paper could be used for temporary light spraying applications.
  15. jgny1

jgny1 Needle-chuck Ninja

Would you say they are as thick as a purchased regular stencil like from airsick or arttool?
  16. simonarvestrand

simonarvestrand Spider Splatterer

I use thick paper, cardstock for My stencils workes great for me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  17. jgny1

jgny1 Needle-chuck Ninja

I have cut some free hand stencils out of the X-Ray film I have. I have to figure out how to make a oval and circle one. Probably going to buy some since it is hard to hand cut perfect ovals and circles.
  18. jagardn

Badger film is 3.5 mil. I've never purchased any stencils, sorry, I don't know how thick they are. I have double laminated 115lb card stock and used it.
  19. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

Hey you're on here too. I just got a Cameo this week. I have Grafix Dura Lar from Michaels, 5 mil 25 sheet pack, seems about 1/2 the thickness of an Artool stencil. The cameo cuts it great. Not only that but vinyl too. So I can see using it to make adhesive masks for projects on metal and other hard surfaces. Never mind other vinyl uses.
  20. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

As for the setting I have found to work with the Cameo and 5mil Mylar. Blade 3, speed 1, thickness 24, double cut. A youtube video also showed someone using these same settings for the Grafix 7 mil dura Lar. Grafix also makes Dura Lar on a roll up to 20 mil according to their web site. Unfortunately only thickness available in a matte finish is 5 mil. 5 mil seems to work fine, but a 10 mil would be better, the 5 is a bit flimsy, but I am sure I will get used to it.