Slainte'

Gary kidson

Young Tutorling
Hi from Ireland. Eternal novice here, played around with air fix models a few years ago to combat insomnia and got into airbrushing that way, then stopped for a few years and recently got back into it when I wanted to repaint a bicycle.
Using Badger 105 and 200 with a little Testors compressor ( new one on the Christmas list.....but not sure I've been good enough this year).

Having all the usual frustrations, paint thickness, fine line control, splatter, spider, spooked.....but the forum is a great help as are the youtube video, so big thanks to all for the advice.

I hope to get into this more and more and going to do the excercises, but I've never been one for homework :)

Welcome! I'm also new here, but its great already. I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Gary! Well, you're not the only one who doesn't like to do homework! LOL I just jumped right in and started painting something. But, practicing dagger strokes is very important. My advice, don't skip that part. LOL But, you can practice dagger strokes while painting something too. Try sea grass and palm trees. :)

:laugh:
Hi from Ireland. Eternal novice here, played around with air fix models a few years ago to combat insomnia and got into airbrushing that way, then stopped for a few years and recently got back into it when I wanted to repaint a bicycle.
Using Badger 105 and 200 with a little Testors compressor ( new one on the Christmas list.....but not sure I've been good enough this year).

Having all the usual frustrations, paint thickness, fine line control, splatter, spider, spooked.....but the forum is a great help as are the youtube video, so big thanks to all for the advice.

I hope to get into this more and more and going to do the excercises, but I've never been one for homework :)
HOMEWORK IS SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO DO!! lmao

Welcome from merry old England. Getting frustrations means you're doing it, and putting paint through the gun, and every time is another step on the learning curve. We've all been there so just keep doing what you're doing and post some pics for some great advice. The exercises will probably do your head in, but are totally worth it. Once you got them, there won't be anything you can't paint.

Bout ye Matty

I live in Dublin, but me ma is a Belfast girl. Am up there often enough.

Happy days, youve definitely landed in the vest place possible to learn everything airbrush mate, from fishing lures to toilet seats and everything in between so any questions or queries you have will be answered. [emoji4]

Welcome from Washington State :) . Keep at it and you'll be blown away at the art you create from all that practicing.

Well been playing around and decided to try "the eye" from the tutorials. Got a little ahead of myself and tried to add some texture, but lacked the fine control to keep it light with the black, but live and learn. Might try going with a grey to start the next one and then darken it with black to finish.
4b61bd3752f27dc9e03ef54524b0fe08.jpg
b6df9a41b12f69e995a58d520c92f6a6.jpg

Well been playing around and decided to try "the eye" from the tutorials. Got a little ahead of myself and tried to add some texture, but lacked the fine control to keep it light with the black, but live and learn. Might try going with a grey to start the next one and then darken it with black to finish.
4b61bd3752f27dc9e03ef54524b0fe08.jpg
b6df9a41b12f69e995a58d520c92f6a6.jpg

Good job Gary, if you try reducing your paint down and using layers to build up your darks that will stop you going to dark too quickly, its a common mistake that we have all made an in my case still do occasionally. Also nothing wrong with trying to add a bit of texture mate.
I use com-art paints and reduce my black anywere up to 15:1 reducer paint, i know this sounds a lot but if you want to build up layers its the way to go.
Put this attempt to the side and compare it in a month or two and you will see a big difference.

Back