For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Smaug sbs

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Ronald art, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

as promised I started the Smaug portrait
    I forgot to take pics from my prep but that involved making a graphite sketch and cutting out a paper stencil so I could spray a quick black background
    I used etac efx carbon black for the background but I will use etac efx paynes grey for the portrait it self the reason I used carbon black instead of paynes grey is simple I wanted to do a fast back ground with less layers so I can still change it with ease if I feel the need for it
    DSCN1274.JPG
    Joe T, beanpoleuk, musicmacd and 5 others like this.
  2. Tuffnutz

Tuffnutz Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Time consuming is this that is. May the Schwartz be with you.
  3. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

look forward to watching this develop, been thinking about painting a dragon for a while now.
  4. Ronald art

I somehow had a hard time to find the best way for me to create this step by step so it is easy to follow and it took me a while to figure it out
    normally I would do all the darkest parts first but with this advanced portrait you could get lost in the shapes real fast so I came up with this trick that works for me
    DSCN1275.JPG

I cut a stencil for the mouth and sprayed the basic shape again with carbon black so I dont have to many layers and I can adjust it if I need to , next step : I started to work around the eye with paynes grey straight up so no trans. base added for the darkest basic shapes spraying 1 layer just so I can see the shapes as I switch to a 1 part paint 5 parts trans base for the lighter parts I keep an eye on the high lights and try to keep those as white as I can in this stage and erase them back if I need to .
    after I did the basics around the eye I started on part just above the teeth just to find out I forgot to sketch the details in on that part so I used the paint left in the airbrush to push back the lower teeth
    before I can go any further I have to sketch the details in I forgot ;)
    Joe T, doc1, JackEb and 3 others like this.
  5. Ronald art

I sketched in the missing details and started painting them in before pulling the nose and forehead together , in this stage I only keep an eye on the highlights and not so much the details unless they really stand out to me and I am not aiming for the right values but just on the basic shapes
    DSCN1276.JPG
    Joe T, twood, HellBird and 2 others like this.
  6. Ronald art

I marked this as a advanced portrait as there are more than one way to paint this one I switched techniques for the lower part of this dragon
    the upper part was dane with eraser techniques in mind and the lower part will be done with a mixed technique as in paint the details and finish it if needed with eraser techniques
    DSCN1277.JPG
    I want thin layers so I used the paynes grey without the trans base and I misted the shapes /details in, if your airbrush needs a higher psi to spray your paint than dont try this as you will want to use low psi to mist just a thin layer , using water or trans base or both will give you a thinner paint and you might want to use 2 thin layers or even 3 if your paint is real transparent
    doc1, Joe T, SiRoxx and 2 others like this.
  7. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member!

Your progress looks wonderful. Keep up the good work.:)
  8. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That’s a great idea to demonstrate the different approaches Ron. It’s very interesting to see them side by side in the same project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe T likes this.
  9. Ronald art

I managed to spray the basics and I used these tool to make my life easier ;)
    1 the arttool fx stencils ( small)
    2 a pipe cleaner
    DSCN1279.JPG
    doc1 and HellBird like this.
  10. Ronald art

the extra tools I used
    DSCN1278.JPG
  11. Ronald art

I reached that point some would call it a fail and bin the work , but I did it just to show that you can still fix it :)
    I still had some payens grey in my airbrush and I decided to spray it out on the top part of the head as the final value is real dark near black even there are just a few thin layers on the darkest parts and this makes it easy to erase the details back
    DSCN1281.JPG
    doc1, HellBird, SiRoxx and 1 other person like this.