Some Qs

T

TJ McInnes

Got some questions for the pros.

1. Can you clear coat a project with the airbrush and compressor you used to paint it? Like a 2 piston compressor and an ecipse.

2. Is there an effective way to brush in mistakes after the stencil is removed? I always get raised areas where I brush.

3. Have you ever messed up someones project on a prepainted surface like a car/bike etc ?

I wouldn't say i'm a pro but i'll give you my best answers.

1. as long as it isn't too thick to spray, spray it

2. the only way I know of is multiple times painting it in and carefully sanding, until its all level again. takes some serious work and skill to make it un-noticeable.

3. How do you mean , exactly?

I wouldn't say i'm a pro but i'll give you my best answers.

1. as long as it isn't too thick to spray, spray it

2. the only way I know of is multiple times painting it in and carefully sanding, until its all level again. takes some serious work and skill to make it un-noticeable.

3. How do you mean , exactly?
Like botch a job story.

1. Can you clear coat a project with the airbrush and compressor you used to paint it? Like a 2 piston compressor and an ecipse.

2. Is there an effective way to brush in mistakes after the stencil is removed? I always get raised areas where I brush.

3. Have you ever messed up someones project on a prepainted surface like a car/bike etc ?
1. Not recommend due to a airbrush sprays a round pattern vs the fan spray of an spray gun , You will most likely have a lot of runs to fix when you are done.
2 if your using a stencil it is only meant as a guild, You mist coat in the stencil so you can barely see it on the surface being painted then freehand so it does not look like you used a stencil.
3 Never , If it already has a custom paint job I will not even touch it unless it is a total repaint.

1. In theory yes, but I highly discourage this for many reasons. Automotive clear coats require a catalyst to cure and they are designed to cure hard (some are softer than others, but they all cure pretty hard). Based on your other questions I'm assuming you're talking about automotive type work. If any residual clear is left in the airbrush after you've cleaned it, you've pretty much ruined that brush. I won't go off on a soap box about all the other reasons this is a bad idea.

2. An old trick of the trade (used more often with raised edges created from taping off graphics) is to use a very dull blade or a fingernail to shave down the edge. Be very careful doing this! If you don't have good adhesion you'll likely remove more paint than you want. As others have already mentioned, the trick with airbrushing is painting light layers to avoid a raised edge. If you have control of the brush mistakes are easily repaired with or without a stencil.

3. Yep. I made a living as a custom automotive painter for years. At times I had clients that brought me vehicles that already had custom paint and/or artwork done by another artist. Sometimes the client wanted something added to the existing work and sometimes they needed a repair done where the graphic and/or artwork was damaged. We're all human and we all make mistakes. I screwed up a few times for various reasons ( tight deadlines with little sleep, unforeseen paint reactions, etc.) and made a lot more work for myself that I didn't get paid for in the end; however, the clients couldn't tell what happened when the job was finished.

It took me a long time to figure this out, but one of the greatest attributes an artist can have is the ability to fix and/or hide their mistakes. This is true whether you're doing custom paint on a vehicle, fine art on a canvas or a 5 x 7 paint pal. Anything can be repaired! Like everything else it just takes practice.

1. If any residual clear is left in the airbrush after you've cleaned it, you've pretty much ruined that brush.
Same could be said of every single device you could possibly spray 2k with that is not disposable.
Granted the airbrush isnt the best tool for the job, and a gun is easier to get good results with.

Wickedartstudios answer to number 3 is why there's not really any stories to be told. If you screw up you just have to fix it, not that big a deal. At times it seems 50% of the job is knowing how to make corrections. Well said Wicked.

Wickerartsstudio is braver then me , I did try it once mainly because the guy said it was all done with HOK when I started the art work with HOK it went south fast and not in a good way.So from then on unless it is just a name or something simple I just stay away. Being I do this as a hobby and not for a living .
But I have fixed or hid many mistakes LOL But I love Craig Frasers saying there are no mistake in airbrushing there are only new direction LOL

Wickerartsstudio is braver then me , I did try it once mainly because the guy said it was all done with HOK when I started the art work with HOK it went south fast and not in a good way.So from then on unless it is just a name or something simple I just stay away. Being I do this as a hobby and not for a living .
But I have fixed or hid many mistakes LOL But I love Craig Frasers saying there are no mistake in airbrushing there are only new direction LOL
Thats why I bought that bob ross shirt. You just turn the mistakes into birds.
A large portion of my work has been touch-up on graphics. Things like the cars for amusement park rides and such.

My understanding of the OP's question though was I thought he was referring to just any project on something painted. Like a plain color car /motorcycle
Maybe I mis-read it IDK.
I also thought he was meaning to totally get rid of the raised area on a graphic though, Which all I know to do is multiple sanding cycles to level the clear.

Back