Specific Application Beginner

Vloshko

Young Tutorling
Greetings Airbrush Community,

I have been an artist for the last 11 years. I am a professional Glassblower primarily. However, I also work with acrylic, oil paint, watercolor, charcoal, fire, electricity, wood, metal, clay, models, and a wide variety of other mediums. I would like to embark on airbrushing.

Specifically, I would like to work with the variety of colors and options supplied by Paint With Pearl. I hope to understand what I need to get started and have as few issues as possible (clogging being my main concern; I have researched it a bit).

I will primarily be painting on ABS(Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), PBT (polybutylene terephthalate), Resin, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, and wood. In addition, I need a needle & nozzle that allows me to spray from hairline up to 1-1/2" wide patterns. Eventually, I might want to try "normal" paints and have the option to do so. Finally, the minimum size area I will be working with is 6.25" x 1/4" and the maximum size would be 4' x 2'.

Now that I have given a little bit of information on my experience, what I want to work with, and what I want to work on here are my questions (I'm looking for recommendations):
  1. Air compressor?
  2. Air filter?
  3. Pressure regulator?
  4. Airbrush(s)?
  5. Cleaning pot?
  6. Airbrush cleaner?
  7. Recommended clear base for mixing?
  8. Thinner?
  9. Crown cap (I have no clue if they are all the same or if there are different sizes or if there is one crown cap to rule them all)?
  10. Base coat?
  11. Several top coats/finishes: Matte, gloss, satin?
  12. Filter mask for breathing safety?
Thank you for your time,
Vloshko

P.S. I imagine I'm starting at a more advanced level than recommended for beginners. I'm okay with that and have usually done it that way most of my life.
P.P.S. In the event that I'm forgetting anything please tell me, I'm definitely want to do this the right/best way and not cut any corners.

lots of questions :) But nuthing wrong with that though would suggest maybe when it comes to gaining answers that in essence you already have a reasonable good understanding and now what you basically need, much of the rest has been probably posted numerous times here so maybe try a little localised research with some of those terms as search terms..With such type of questions though its common to get 10 of us just giving you our fave preferences..there really is no best compressor or best airbrush for any application, well there is but thats a longer story and more of an argument LOL..Its more about what works best for you..Budget is also a handy thing for peeps here to know so we can maybe point you towards the best options for your specific application and cost needs..i would personally recommend an Anthem as it will be a lot better as a multi purpose gun than any other options, especially if you do want to do the odd basing in it and most pearls besides the really heavy flake wnt bother it too much as it has a beast of a needle and one of the widest coverage spray patterns..but realistically it may not be what your after or it may be your holy grail, perhaps some more research on the specific uses of each brush and many sites do have comparrison charts and the like amongst their own ranges..Compressors come down to noise requirements in most cases, can ya run something a little louder, if so get a shop compressor, 25 ltre one shld be fine, want or need quiet a silent compressor may be your best need..prices vary on such quite dramatically..Most of the other needs will answer themselves, like paint for example..have a particular brand ya want to use you may best get reducers, base's etc all from the same supplier..Masks and safety equipment again relates a bit to paint types and needs, crown caps will for most part be what comes with your brush choice, pot cleaners etc again all are pretty standard items and no one is any real diff to another but price may vary..Either way start with the most important which is your gun, compressor, regulator hose obviously and some paint to fling..The rest will sort itself out pretty easy or things like airbrush cleaners etc will depend on other products ya using..good luck and enjoy the adventure..most important thing in Airbrushing is simple practice, the faster you get on a gun, the faster you will be flinging it like a pro..Some can use a straw and a mouthful of paint and do amazing things, some buy the most expensive thing on the shelf and may never learn to use it well, in most cases its more about technique than the equipment used..Good luck :)

Welcome from the UK.

Compressor, any regular compressor is good, if noise is not an issue. If it is then "silent" is the way to go, but make sure it has a tank. You can get precise regulators, but any regulator will work. You will want a water trap.

Airbrush - not familiar with tho paint, but generally effects paints struggle through tiny nozzles, I would suggest (though its just an educated guess) a .5 nozzle ir above. However with a .5 you should be able to get a hair line (there are hair lines and hair lines, but it will be pretty good) Brands - I always say Iwata, but Badger is also popular.

Cleaning pot - any will do the job, I just use old soda bottles though.

Clear base, that line of paint should have its own. Always stick to the same system.

Cleaner - the thinner/reducer for that paint.

Many people never use a crown cap, but the pronged type is popular.

Filter mask, a good quality auto mask with replaceable filters.

lots of questions :) But nuthing wrong with that though would suggest maybe when it comes to gaining answers that in essence you already have a reasonable good understanding and now what you basically need...
Thank you and I'm glad.
...much of the rest has been probably posted numerous times here so maybe try a little localised research with some of those terms as search terms...
I will definitely do this.
...With such type of questions though its common to get 10 of us just giving you our fave preferences...
All those preferences are what I am after so I can get a little bit more direction and then do a substantial amount of research and decide from there.
...Its more about what works best for you..Budget is also a handy thing for peeps here to know so we can maybe point you towards the best options for your specific application and cost needs..i would personally recommend an Anthem...
I will look into the Anthem, thank you for your recommendation. In addition, budget wise I'm looking to keep it under $700 USD. Do you think 2 guns would be a decent idea? If so or not, why?
...Compressors come down to noise requirements in most cases, can ya run something a little louder, if so get a shop compressor, 25 ltre one shld be fine...Good luck :)
Noise levels are not an issue, I have warehouse space that I do most of my work in. Would you be comfortable recommending me one? Thank you again

Thank you and I'm glad.

I will definitely do this.

All those preferences are what I am after so I can get a little bit more direction and then do a substantial amount of research and decide from there.

I will look into the Anthem, thank you for your recommendation. In addition, budget wise I'm looking to keep it under $700 USD. Do you think 2 guns would be a decent idea? If so or not, why?

Noise levels are not an issue, I have warehouse space that I do most of my work in. Would you be comfortable recommending me one? Thank you again

You can never have enough guns ;)..Some here have mighty collections and must also have 8 arms LOL..Though do you need a cple to start with? kinda depends on your goals..Basically it comes down to 3 choices..A dedicated detail gun (easier to get details down but not for much else) or a blaster..Not as good for detail but will double in the area of broader spray needs like basing and clearing smaller objects..Anything of a decent size ya will really want a mini touch up or spray gun for better clearing and basing so ultimately pending on the size of your projects a detail gun and a spray gun may be your best options..The third choice is an all rounder and why I suggested the Anthem..Gain a good abilty with an anthem and you dont really need any other gun as it also has the ability to be converted to a very good detail gun and spares are much cheaper than iwata and it will base and clear smaller objects quite well in comparrison to other options, going the other way of having a dedicated blaster and a dedicated detail gun then twos the option..I'd just start with one decent all rounder to get a better feel for it and once you gain some confidence then go looking for other gun options maybe..700 us shld see yourself pretty well started, with some change, my setup minus paint costs around $250 or there abouts (Gun and compressor with hoses etc)..As for compressor if your in a warehouse, go bigger if you can and that way down the track if you want to clear or base a car you have that option..A decent cheapie air compressor from a big hardware or depo store is the easiest and cheapest option shld come with a reg/water trap and a hose and if ya need to pump up the odd tyre with it also you can mine cost $70 bucks and has been running now for almost 5 years on one oil top up LOL, cheaper to go buy a new one than top the oil up :)

Back