Spectra Tex - Good stuff!

I have a question I started airbrushing about a week ago trying to do lexan RC car bodies. I was using Testor "Pactra" Racing Finish. It's a lacquer paint and after reducing sprayed wonderfully, great control no clogging issues just very potent aroma.
So in order to practice technique I thought it wise to use some paint that was a lot less toxic. I went to my local arts and crafts store and picked up a 6 pack of the spectra tex opaque and some of their brand cleaner. I printed out a bunch of the practice PDFs from the website and eagerly set up.
Now with this new spectra-tex I am having horrible flow issues. It will not keep a steady spray of paint. I tried it straight out of the bottle and different ratios reduced. I could not practice at all today as I was trying to solve this problem. I have 3 brushes, all had the same issues, when I tried using the other paint "pactra" it was smooth again.

Any ideas would help a lot I would really like to get to painting.

Heres what I was using.
iwata eclipse HP BPS .5 needle (3 different brushes same prob, took apart and cleaned)
psi I tried several ranging 15-80
spectra-tex opaque black (reduced and straight from the bottle)

i can't think of any other variables, I read about pulsing and checked seals, needles, and it didn't make sense to me that one paint works and the other does not.

Stu

sorry Im reposting this in troubleshooting. Didn't mean to high jack this. Admin feel free to delete.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i had to choos only one system to go with spectra would probly be the top few to decide from the white especialy does well with the infinity

they should be no reason on earth why spectra should not go through a .5 nozzle, I mean, as ferret said he can put it through his infinity which is a .15......on comparison yours is like a fire mans hose.....only thing I can think of is to thoroughly shake the paint, has spectra got the little ball bearing in like wicked has, to mix the paint? if not maybe consider getting one if the little battery operated paint mixers? if the paint is new there should be no clots in it but you could try straining ir through a pair of tights/pantyhose

I received a care package from Ken with some Spectra-Tex paints, and I've had great results with them. I've used them on shirts, plastics and metals with no adhesion problems at all, as long your prep work is good!!! I would, and DO recommend Badgers Spectra-Tex paints to all. What makes this paint even more spectacular.......THE PRICE!!!!! And no Im not a Badger Rep, haha, just really stand behind their products, theyre good people!!!!

Resurrecting and old post here but doing so requires less explanation.
Russ, spraying spectra tex on plastic and metal. What primer and clear coat did you use and what longevity did you get please?

Resurrecting and old post here but doing so requires less explanation.
Russ, spraying spectra tex on plastic and metal. What primer and clear coat did you use and what longevity did you get please?
Its not lightfast, will fade over time.
if u want a paint for metals and plastics from badger look at imaginaire, its lightfast and waterbased.
i believe imaginaire has the only true waterbased candy range for airbrushers, AA is pigment based and not a truenone but imaginaire is. But its a bit pricey though. (In europe atleast)

I just looked it up Rick and it does look like it needs to be imported, I will have to look around at what other water based paints for plastic there are that is lightfast and wont fade.

Wicked, auto air, schmincke, etac, comart, golden, hansa procolor, vallejo, trident, molotow and a heap more.

Back