Spotty, sputtery lines...mismatched air compressor?

J

John Matrix

Hi all, mega beginner here. I was recently handed down an old Paasche air brush set as a gift. Due to some hand problems I decided to replace the airbrush itself with a Neo single action trigger style airbrush. The Neo is designed to work with an Iwata compressor, so I bought an adapter so that it would work with my Paasche compressor. No matter how hard I tighten the adapter on to the hose it never seems to make an airtight seal. I've tried wrapping it in duct tape also but I can still feel some air sputtering at the point where the adapter meets the hose. The air brush will work like this but I have trouble getting a solid line. I have attached a picture to show what I mean.
IMG_8874.JPG
First question: Is the leaking air the cause of these spotty lines or is there something else that could be causing it?
Second question: Are there any steps I can take to improve the seal between the adapter and the hose?

Thanks!

Does the compressor have a tank? If not it could be pulsing.
You should also have a regulator on it and ideally a water trap especially if the compressor is tankless.
What paint are you using and what psi?
It’s hard to diagnose properly without all the info.

It would also be nice if you head to the intro section and let us know where you live, what got you started, what you eventually want to do etc

Also if you are using a paasche hose, especially a old one they are prone to leaking. Only way to fix it get a new hose. I just had to recently just to play with my paasche.

Does the compressor have a tank? If not it could be pulsing.
You should also have a regulator on it and ideally a water trap especially if the compressor is tankless.
What paint are you using and what psi?
It’s hard to diagnose properly without all the info.

It would also be nice if you head to the intro section and let us know where you live, what got you started, what you eventually want to do etc

I'm not sure what PSI...this compressor does not have any gauges on it of any kind. There does not seem to be a tank either...I'll post a picture of it later when I get home.

I am using Createx airbrush colors.

Yup I agree with Rick- old Paasche hoses do tend to leak from where the end attaches to the hose itself. Rick didn't we have sputtering problems with yours? Or was that just an adapter issue? I have a foggy memory of hunting down quick disconnects to make your Paasche work.

I read your intro John, and my first thought was "Old Paasche? Best improvement you can make to it is replace it with a better brand." :) That Neo should at least give you a good start. You need a new hose and at least get a regulator with a moisture trap on it- they shouldn't be too expensive. I highly recommend getting some 1/4 in quick disconnects- a new Paasche hose will allow you to screw a nipple directly onto it. It comes in handy later on down the line, but it isn't mandatory either. Hope you get things sorted out!

Thanks for the replies. I will make these upgrades soon. I did notice that it felt as if the hose itself was leaking near the connector but it was hard to tell. I duct taped up that whole area pretty heavily.

Luckily my current project is not very technical and relies on stencils to do all the heavy lifting so I can keep working on it in the meantime.

From the sound of it Rick and Jurien have hit the nail on the head. Old hose = likely perished rubber. They are cheap enough to pick up. A bit of teflon tape when you put it together certainly doesnt hurt.

Now, my next concern is the paint you are using. the paint you bought is designed for textile work (tshirts etc)
The createx website states the following:
"Createx Airbrush Colors work best out of the bottle with a 0.5mm tip-sized airbrush operated @ 40 - 50 PSI. For smaller tip-sizes, lower PSI settings and fine-line detailed artwork, reduce with Createx 5601 Transparent Base."

That is a guide and a starting point only. Other factors like ambient temperature and humidity can come into play.

Now, having said that, using this paint for practise and getting a feel for how things will work will be fine, but you'll need to reduce it to get a good flow going.
When you get a chance, post up a pic of the compressor

Aha !.
No tank, no regulator......
a bit of research says it delivers 20-35 PSI depending on airbrush.
without a regulator its sending pulsing down the airline, a regulator will help but may not eliminate it entirely. That combined with a new hose may be enough for you to get a feel and decide if you want to continue with airbrushing.

Thanks for all the help! I will track down a hose and regulator asap and try to get this old beast running as smooth as it can.

Back