Steel wool scratching pen (home made)

you could possible even wad some up and put in an electric eraser holder......

Will the steel wool break up and leave wee bits stuck in the paper? I have used it for wood finishing and you have to be very careful that none is left in the surface. Stuffing it in an old pen barrel is a super idea though!! Perhaps having a small vacuum (hoover) close to hand could take care of that.

Tom

Will the steel wool break up and leave wee bits stuck in the paper? I have used it for wood finishing and you have to be very careful that none is left in the surface. Stuffing it in an old pen barrel is a super idea though!! Perhaps having a small vacuum (hoover) close to hand could take care of that.

Tom
Tom
What I am using is Super Fine #0000 Angel hair steel wool . While it does leave some dust between the paint that is taking off and what little of it that is left behind , I have yet to find any of it embedded into the material (in this case poster board) But I did use a full piece of it last night to scuff a hard hat and there was nothing left there after I wiped it with wax and grease remover.
The coarser the steel wool the more likely you are to have bits of it stuck into things. That is why I choose the #0000 super fine.
My old boss who built fiddles told me to always give steel wool the hand test. Rub it on you hand and if it pokes you it will poke what ever you are working on.

Thanks Herb ... I didn't know about the poke test ... good info.

Tom

Oh I forgot to say this was all done in Golden high flow Paynes gray , straight monotone no chaser LOL
Oh, did you mix your own Payne's grey with Golden or do you have a source... I've not found it in NZ and not listed on their colour chart but it mixes together easily.

Oh, did you mix your own Payne's grey with Golden or do you have a source... I've not found it in NZ and not listed on their colour chart but it mixes together easily.
Actually it was in one of the free kits I got from their rep. Which like you state it is not in their paint chart as being a released color in the High Flow.
But it was in one of the 2 ten packs of paint the rep gave me . They also had a shelf markings for Paynes grey in the high flow area but they were still in the process of stocking the shelves .I will have to make a trip back over there and see if it was a mistake or they just forgot to add it to their charts.

After doing a little research it looks like the
Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) is paynes grey in the high flow series . I used the chart on Golden's web site to compare paynes grey fluid to the high flow and that is what is referred me too .

Last edited:
Back