Stevie G's log .... started September 2013

This last image has to be the best one here Stevie - the things that jump out at me for room for improvement are the following:
1. Focal Values - the sharpness of your image
2. Contrast - The value that you're building your color to

1. You're focal values are very consistent however i think almost all of your effects can go sharper - this is achieved by moving in closer and requires a little more confidence. concentrate on small areas at a time and try to force yourself to move a little closer even if it goes against your instinct or judgment. Once you see the change in result of that area you'll adjust your judgment of what height you need to be at :) so in a phrase: move closer!

2. Just looks like your darker areas can go darker? i'm not sure if you're building these artworks up as duotones - but it looks like the darker areas need more paint to go 100%. I'm looking at the original image compared to the one you posted yesterday :)

Good on you for getting something done every month bud - like anything in life consistency delivers results and you're delivering consistently and now obviously reaping the rewards :)

Hey Mitch !
How are you doing ?
Thanks for dropping by here and posting your comments.
It's very much appreciated.
I've taken note of what you've said and will do my best to put it into practice. Hopefully the next time you drop by you will see improvement !
I want to take this opportunity to thank you because without your excellent teaching methods I would never have got this far.
So, thank you mate :encouragement:

Oh dear ..... I've not been on here since the 5th January .....:shame:
What have I been doing for all that time ?
Well, moving house for a start ..... I now live in Suffolk (watch out Kev ! ).
Then back in January I realised that a model show was coming up in March and the model club I belong to would be exhibiting .... I needed to build some new models for the club display.
(Just to clarify, one of my hobbies is building 1/24th scale model kits ...... 40's/50's American cars, hot rods and dragsters to be precise).
Anyway, I started and finished 4 models !
Obviously this took most of my spare time so my portrait painting was put on hold for a while.
However, airbrushing featured a lot as I now paint my models with Auto Air and I had to learn how to apply it. It took some time to master but I got there after a few false starts.
So, with a successful model show behind me, I've now put away my modelling tools for a while (even though I still have 30+ model cars in my stash to build) and I've got back to the portraits.
Hopefully I'll have one done soon and can start posting pics on here again.

Back