Straight up NOOB...

M

Michael Wieczynski

Fellow Artists,

I am new to the medium known as the airbrush, and currently do not own an airbrush at this time. However, I have been doing allot of research on the subject. I have very decent drawing capabilities, and I have painted quite a few things using rattle cans. Its time to upgrade, and take my skills to the next level. I have never even held an airbrush, but I am confident I will be able to conquer this medium. It looks like so much fun and I am pretty eager to get started. I have an air compressor in my garage ...its a 150 PSI 8 gallon oil less compressor I got from Lowes. I plan on using this for my air brush. I have looked at a few oil/water separators/regulators online at amazon to run inline. I am just hung up on which brush kit to get. I plan on doing the normal stuff skulls, flames, etc. I want to be able to get really fine details as well. I just hope to accomplish the same stuff I can do with pencils and make photo realistic and stylized pieces with the airbrush. I already have a project piece in mind(my motorcycle helmet) but I want to get some serious practice before I tackle the project. I'll probably be doing mostly freehand work with some added stenciling and pin striping for effect. Thanks for having me on the forum, i'll probably be asking alot of questions...so please be patient with me.

V/R

MW

If you have a compressor, all you really need besides and airbrush, is an 1/4" regulator with moisture trap, a 1/4 " quick disconnect set and an airbrush hose that is 1/8 to 1/4. I run all my hoses this way. As for an airbrush, if you're serious, if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, print a coupon and get an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse. It's about $130 that way. It is a bulletproof, reliable airbrush, that can do some nice details . Also very forgiving on a new user. Parts are reasonable and it's easy to maintain. You can also get some wicked paint and reducer there to practice with.

If you have a compressor, all you really need besides and airbrush, is an 1/4" regulator with moisture trap, a 1/4 " quick disconnect set and an airbrush hose that is 1/8 to 1/4. I run all my hoses this way. As for an airbrush, if you're serious, if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, print a coupon and get an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse. It's about $130 that way. It is a bulletproof, reliable airbrush, that can do some nice details . Also very forgiving on a new user. Parts are reasonable and it's easy to maintain. You can also get some wicked paint and reducer there to practice with.

Here is a few options I've been looking at on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N0QA9A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

not sure what the difference is between this 3F or the 2L...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQKFAI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JAL2E5MMUKIV

I think this is the one you were referring to...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017IJL9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

another set...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067ANGT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

that one is el cheapo....

than finally...and i am not sure its meant for multi-purpose...

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427504543&sr=8-5&keywords=badger airbrush kit

what would you pick from those options? Is the Iwata the best choice...is the model differnet or come with more stuff at hobby lobby? Also...where is this coupon you speak of?

Personally I would go with the Iwata. I have never used a Paasche , some like them, some don't. Same thing for Badger.

The Sotar is a detail brush. If i were to start today knowing what i know now. I wouldve bought a gravity feed eclipse As my first airbrush. I Have plans on buying one soon. , and i would buy ten other brushes if i had the cash.

Welcome home Michael
As far as which airbrush to go with I do highly suggest the Iwata Eclipse CS.
While the paasche talon is a good brush but not really a good brush for a beginner.
One question that either I missed or you did not say , Where do you live (state or country )
Reason I ask because if you have a hobby lobby in your area you can go see the Iwata Eclipse CS
If you have a Michael's crafts you can go see the Badger airbrush line.
Both places offer a 40% off anything in the store coupon which means you do not have to wait to hold that brush.

Welcome home Michael
As far as which airbrush to go with I do highly suggest the Iwata Eclipse CS.
While the paasche talon is a good brush but not really a good brush for a beginner.
One question that either I missed or you did not say , Where do you live (state or country )
Reason I ask because if you have a hobby lobby in your area you can go see the Iwata Eclipse CS
If you have a Michael's crafts you can go see the Badger airbrush line.
Both places offer a 40% off anything in the store coupon which means you do not have to wait to hold that brush.

what he said.... but some of the michaels stores are starting to discontinue the airbrush equip and paint...(at least in my area) st. louis metro....welcome to the best place on line....

Welcome from Australia!
As an Iwata user, I would completely agree with the Eclipse as a first airbrush.
They are reliable, easy to maintain and parts are, relatively speaking, reasonably economical.
The detail comes from experience with both paint and airbrush, knowing what it will and won't do.
I hope you enjoy your experience here and we look forward to seeing some of your works.
Your drawing skills and rattle can experience will not be wasted here, as you'll soon see.

what he said.... but some of the michaels stores are starting to discontinue the airbrush equip and paint...(at least in my area) st. louis metro....welcome to the best place on line....
You are correct in that michaels are starting to revamp their airbrush line.

Hi Michael, welcome from the uk. You're already off to a good start by asking for advice before you buy Lol, wish I had thought to do the same.

I will add my recommendation for the HP-CS. Everyone has a preference, but for a beginner it's an ideal brush, and one that you won't outgrow either. It seems like you are wanting to do automotive type work? It is ideal for that, as it is an all round work horse, the .35 nozzle is a bit more forgiving when it comes to getting paint through, and the spray pattern can go from a couple of inch to a extremely fine detail once you get to know it. It is what I use, and is my only brush, I paint quite a few bikes, and find it is ideal. But is as also good for regular art too. (Check my facebook page in my sig to see what it can do, though bear in mind an expert could really get the best out of it LOL :D) I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years now, parts are very hard wearing, and it's tough as old boots - as long as you don't drop the airbrush etc. If you are wanting to use urethane paints, it has a teflon seal which can stand up to them. It is reliable, and easy to clean and maintain (the chrome will wear off inside the cup after a some time, but doesn't affect performance) and IMO is a lot of brush for the money. While there are other brushes for a similar price, I think you can't beat Iwata for quality of build and materials, properly looked after it should last a lifetime. Buy right and buy once - although it's possible you may get the Airbrush Acquisition Disorder that has stricken down quite a few members around here, and end up with a whole collection :D

If you've given any thought to what paint to use, then I would advise Wicked (again what I use - so not a biased opinion at all LOL) as it is a great all round paint, suitable for virtually any surface (I've used it on board, bikes cloth, leather, plastic, paper, canvas) and is lightfast so ideal for automotive with a good 2K clear, and the transparents (which they call detail) pop nicely. However as an all rounder it's not specifically ideal for any particular medium, so if you are mostly going to be doing fine art etc then you may want to try the Illustration line.

Hello to all, and thanks for all of the awesome replies. Unfortunately Hobby Lobby is like an 1.5 hours away...we have a Michaels here in town and I plan on checking it out today. I am sold on the Iwata...may just have to get it online though. Does the one at Hobby Lobby come with any hoses, needles, nozzles etc? Oh..just incase does anyone have a link to that coupon?

I just checked on hobby lobby's web site and they have changed the kit on the CS so it is the airbrush , Pistol moisture trap and paint. plus the raised the price to 209.00 Those bastards LOL
The old kit came with a 10 foot hose. Guess they are catching on
But you can also have a look here http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=791
these may have been used in a class room at coast buy the go through them and replace anything they need.

Hello to all, and thanks for all of the awesome replies. Unfortunately Hobby Lobby is like an 1.5 hours away...we have a Michaels here in town and I plan on checking it out today. I am sold on the Iwata...may just have to get it online though. Does the one at Hobby Lobby come with any hoses, needles, nozzles etc? Oh..just incase does anyone have a link to that coupon?
The hobby lobby website has the coupon, they have it running y w ar round. I will let you know about the kit because im on my way to hobby lobby right now... I really didnt need to be reminded i wanted this brush.

Well I just came form Hobby lobby :D
the BCS has the hose and paint and moisture trap the CS has every thing but the hose.

image.jpg image.jpg Just went to Michaels looks like they are revamping to add iwata but not the eclipse..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just came form Hobby lobby :D
the BCS has the hose and paint and moisture trap the CS has every thing but the hose.
Yup no hose, free superlube inside however.. 125.99 plus tax. Guessvill be editing my signature.

Back