The Weird Old Guy with the New Hobby...

J

Jack Blair

The constant drumming of the rain outside the window, combined with the steady hum of the cooling fans, creates a cacophony of the monotonous, which works on my fatigue like tiny hammers pounding into throbbing temples.

“This is ridiculous,” I admonish myself, maneuvering my way down another dead end; eyes nothing more than narrow slits in the reflected light from the monitor.

Waves of frustration descend, manifesting themselves in trembling spasms, beginning at my shoulders and working their way down. My grip on the mouse tightens, as quivering fingers banish the curser to the screen’s nether-regions.

“How long must I wait in the dark? Questions unanswered…” I curse and then as if waking from a dream, I scan the page, finally focusing my bloodshot eyes on a color…

“ORANGE”

I know, you are all asking what the heck is this guy is talking about… well, it is just my way of introducing myself…a weird old guy with a new hobby.

I work primarily in wood, crafting prop replicas, miniatures, and custom furniture. All my finishing until recently has been by brush. I finally broke down and purchased an HVLP sprayer for a large project and loved the results. Now I want to transition to airbrush for smaller projects and artistic embellishments.

I usually spend an inordinate amount of time researching anything I buy, but I knew I'd be hunting forever if I did that and wanted to get started. I just purchased a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 and a Sparmax TC-620X. They were both impulsive decisions. I'd like to know if you think these are good for a beginner.

I am looking forward to learning from your expertise. Thanks for having me.

Welcome home.
As far as the airbrush it will serve you well.
Did you need another compressor? The one you use with the hvlp should work just fine unless you were going for a more silent one.
When I start I just used my 250 gallon shop compressor with regulators and moisture traps added on the feed line so I could control air pressure better. But then bought a silent air 50 mainly due to needed one to tote around when I could not get the tractor in my garage area
You can do some amazing work over wood with the use of Candies. My neighbor does wood working and brings me things from time to time to airbrush for him .

Hi Mr.Micron!

I am still waiting for both of them to arrive. As far as the compressor... I wanted something I could use at night. My shop compressor, although touted as being "silent" actually makes enough noise to wake the dead and as I work in a converted single car garage-shop, nestled in the middle of a triplex of townhouses, I am hoping to avoid any issues with my neighbors. Plus, I volunteer in local community theater and do some special effects makeup. I've been wanting to add airbrushing to the arsenal so having a portable compressor will be necessary.

I will want to play with Candies for sure.

Cheers!

Welcome Jack
From your intro you should be a good book writer. My wife reads a lot of books and from some of the things I have read it sounded like a good start on a mystery novel.
The airbrush should be fine to learn the ropes on.

Richard

I thought I would post something that shows what I am looking to do. My work is not of the same calibre as what I have seen here, but I am hoping to change that. I do cosplay and wanted to make a prop for one the characters I portray. I borrowed the "official" version from a friend and using it as a model, I put one together using wood, washers, and buttons. I am happy enough with it from a distance, but I would really like to learn how to get a little closer to that marble finish.
2017-04-04 13.46.45.jpg 2017-04-10 10.28.34.jpg

Search on youtube for "faux marble" etc. You'll find a lot of the information you need.
For the things you've shown, I'd use airbrush only for base colour and clearcoating in the end (nozzle 0.5mm and bigger), anything else is done using different techniques.

Welcome from New Zealand - your introduction describes a lot of us... we've been there... I recently got the Iwata verion of the 620 (in NZ there was a 3 month lead time for the slightly cheaper sparmax... good grief...) and I'm very happy with it. Sparmax make the compressors for Iwata so you'll be getting the same compressor bits. It is so nice working with a quiet compressor.

Welcome to the forum Jack, hopefully we can help you along the airbrush road, the kit you have on order is good. Sparmax make the compressors for iwata so its good kit and spares are readily available if you ever need them.

Lee

lol
With an intro like that you're going to fit in well around here.

Have a look around and when you have a question you can't find the answer to then ask away.

Welcome to the forum! For a minute there I thought you were Stephen King... hmm, the Amityville Airbrush Horror...

No no no, I gotta finish Little Airbrush Annie first.

You got a Silverline huh? You lucky guy! You will love that brush or I'm not a truck driver.

Ha! Stephen King indeed! I am not a writer, but if I were, King and Tolkien would probably be my biggest influences.

I’ve been perusing all your artwork and never realized how much can be done with an airbrush. So much of the art we are exposed to these days is conceived by electronic manipulation. I’m not saying that computer graphics does not have its place in the art world, but to see the honesty and depths color that is achieved by a vision unfettered by the limitations of code writing is pure magic.

Thank you all for making feel so welcome. You've also raised my confidence in the choices I made. It is difficult to know if you’re making the right decision when entering into uncharted territory. Your words of encouragement provide ample motivation and I am chomping at the bit to get started.

Back