Transparent vs. Over-reduced opaques

Mitch, you know, you have done great place to get and to share knowledge:) So we do that;) I do learn here also! I can get and also can contribute.
But concerning Createx... I think, if I ever try water based paints, their products will not be the first in my list. At least for now. Too many surprises about their products I read here on the forum. But none about E-tac, for instance. And now some kind of filler in the paint... It's above my understanding. It needs explanation about those who produce it, I want to understand what's in there as a user of the paintso_O

Yes there is a difference.
Now depending on which paint would tell more. But you can over reduce opaque paints and get a transparent like effect.

Opaques hit their color and stop.
Transparents will keep getting darker and darker as you go.
Generally speaking transparents are also much more vibrant.
What I would suggest is exactly what Paint systems have been calling buffing the paint. Buy all transparent paints and an opaque White and black. You only need a couple drops of the opaque to alter the transparent. Or just get your primary colors in opaque and then any other shades can be transparent.

Over reduced paint will build till it reaches total saturation and value where the transparent will will darken its value as it is layered. Using transparent base will make opaque more transparent like. It all has to do with how fine the pigment is ground and the base does not evaporate like the reducer does.

Hope this helped a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not buffering a color, thats simply a made up airbrush community term. Dru brought that term in Fred, in the world of paints its simply called creating an opaque color or making a pastel color as adding white pastelizes most paint colors due to simple light refraction and adsorbing of certain light ray ranges, the thing with opaques is they naturally cap that color and can't get lighter or darker on a full saturation or intensity simply because of how light refracts or travels through the layers of pigment due to the body of white placed in it as you mention. Thats why some trans pigments can be used as opaques or to give an illusion of more transparency, its not true transparency though, what it is is the pigments are just simply further apart which allows us to see some of the base work come through, it doesn't actually tint the lower layer like a true transparent will, full saturation of that reduced opaque, no matter if reducing with clear pigments will result still in 100% coverage of the base, its not so much about wheter the carrier fluid you metions evaporates away, thats what is supposed to happen, because lay enough opaque pigment down and it will still eventually block out the layer below., but its not always the pigment thats opaque, its the "body" of the paint that is, thus the optical illusion I mention and likely what the paint company's term "filler".That filler may be clear filler or transparent but all it is is a filler LOL, just adds body, designed to deliberately separate those pigments and adds some more light refraction, thus makes the pigment behave a little differently, the one thing clear pigment can't do is make opaque pigment its mixed with transparent. The problem is that they are making up terms I think more to confuse than help understand their ranges and thats what some of us rely on for the correct info Try find a MSDS on any of their sites anymore (you can but its not easy anymore), try find a ingredient list, many terms and paint science has been around and built on for 100's of years making new names up for things that already are explained well and exist already isn't always a good thing, just over complicates......but when moneys involved, mis-direction and renaming known idea's is likely LOL..Problem is if every paint company does it, no-one will know what any of us are going on about LOL..Needs to be simplified again :)

"Buffered paint" term was invented by Terry Hill when he attended Dru's course. Then Dru brought that to the masses:)
You're right that all those poetical names for the paints is only marketing, nothing else. All professional art terms exist for a long time, for the pigments also.
It's no good idea for us to use something, when we have to figure out first what's in there. It takes our time and money. But good thing is, some producers of paint show all the info about what pigments the paint contain right on the tubes and we can predict paint's behavior. But it's not always shown. I don't know if the info is shown on the bottles of AB paint. I do not have them. Is something there? If there's something, what producer is that?:) Good for the urethanes, they're single pigment paints.

Back