For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

True critique sub forum

Discussion in 'Forum Ideas!' started by Kelan, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Kelan

Kelan Triple Actioner

I do enjoy this forum quite a bit and it is very active with some great artists. I understand that this site is geared towards helping stimulate and invigorate the airbrushing community. I have found that posting your WIP's and finished works gets great feedback as far as encouragement but I would like to see a sub forum where we can voluntarily post our work for honest and true peer critiques, so we can advance as artists. I hope this makes sense. I just feel that a nice critique forum would help advance our community and bring us closer together. Any thoughts and ideas?
    mickolaus likes this.
  2. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think honest critque when applicable is already given (if one doesn't want critique one shouldn't post on a forum I think). The problem (for me atleast) is that in order to give critique it has to be helpfull. If I can't say anything that actualy helps someone I don't see a reason to actualy give critique. Someone that starts out and does a nice portrait for his/her skill level won't be helped if compared to Dru Blair, at that point critique will just become "puting some one down" as compared to him most of us will just produce utter crap :D

I am without doubt also guilty of "oooh and aaah" comments (as I gues you are refering to those more or less :p) but in regard to what I said above that is often the only thing too say. When some one does a painting that is good for that perons skilllevel I don't see anything wrong with just stating it's good and one likes it.

When I notice that I can give pointers that would improve a piece and the person has the skill level to implement them I'll always try to point them out (as nicely as possible :p), but it's important that the person is actualy able to implement the coments as else it will just result in frustration if they try to put it to use. getting good at this just requieres a lot of practice and a lot of techniques are very hard to implement till one reaches a certain skill level.

For this reason for me personaly it wouldn't add anything (and there are already a lot of categories :p). I think most people here are already honest in their comments and when people start posting in that category I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 times the comment would be more or less "keep practicing"
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

As a 3 year part time noob myself, I can understand to a point but don't forget the old saying.." be careful what you ask for" lol. No seriously though, I feel most here have and always will give honest opinions/critique on our work . I Think because the comments are meant to be helpful and encouraging that we sometimes don't see the gentle critiques. No one here as long as I have been here has ever been REALLY harsh and remember we are usually harder on our own self than anyone else. This forum (home) is I think the closest knit group of people I have ever found, especially when you consider the really wide range of people, personalities, and talent from all over the globe. IMHO
    CALz AyrWKz, Maple Art and wolfbane like this.
  4. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

I can see the point, and there are a couple of people here who have called me out before And i have never taken it badly. However due to the internet, it is hard to critique gently at times.
    Truly we are supposed to give critiques. Sometimes i dont simply because there are mistakes i see by people who are better artists than me. Othertimes as Haasje said, its obviously a skill issue.
    CALz AyrWKz and wolfbane like this.
  5. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

IMHO, we post our works for reviews / comments from others that we would hope have a better understanding of the processes / skills needed to both improve our works and increase our skills as airbrush artists.
    I think that we have found a really good mix here, with both objective comment and helpful advice given to all who submit works for such.
    Whilst I think you have a point, we have to believe this already exists here in one form or another.
    I happily accept commentary on what I have done or am doing, and appreciate the effort of those who do so.
    They often point out things that I would have [or did] overlook or failed to do, and that's where I learn the most.
    I have seen other places where artist's works have been dissected, and it is so destructive it's almost criminal.
    I prefer what happens here, but thanks for the suggestion.:)
    CALz AyrWKz likes this.
  6. Kelan

Kelan Triple Actioner

All of you make very valid points. I would agree at this point a new sub forum would be unnecessary. I always like pushing myself and critiques from peers is a great way to see it with different eyes. From this point forward, I think it will be good that I explain in my opening posts that I am specifically looking for critiques and ideas. I think this will open others up to being more forward about their thoughts and ideas without the hesitation of offending me. I appreciate all the replies and I was merely thinking out loud.
    CALz AyrWKz and Maple Art like this.
  7. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

If you want a true critique of a piece, we need to know what someone is trying to accomplish along with the reference photo. Without someone specifying that they are going for realism, surreal, etc, one can't really give tips on a piece. Sometimes a painting is going for high key or low key, without knowing that, I can't really tell them the contrast is or value is off.
    A good description of the of what was trying to be achieved is the key to a good assessment.
  8. CALz AyrWKz

CALz AyrWKz Moderator Mod

I agree totally with everything that has been pointed out above. Many who want a critique will ask for one, and they usually get it. So, a new topic is not needed. I love how everyone here encourages the art with lots of love. If there is something I see that could easily be improved, I will mention it. I try not to give negative feedback, because every piece is a learning experience, the good, the bad and the ugly! LOL
    JackEb and Kelan like this.
  9. jagardn

I critique my own paintings, followed by binge drinking and self hatred. ;)
    No need to subject anyone else to it. :D
    mickolaus, ad fez, JackEb and 2 others like this.
  10. CALz AyrWKz

Ditto!! LOL We are our own worst critics! Second would be my hubby and then there are the kids. Talking about honest critiques! Eeeeck!
    splasha likes this.
  11. jagardn

My wife gets pissed at me when I start pointing things out and tearing down my own paintings.
    To avoid sleeping on the couch, I don't talk smack about my work in front of her. :D
    splasha, JackEb and CALz AyrWKz like this.
  12. CALz AyrWKz

In my house, if I get past the hubby and kids, then its golden!
  13. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Yep Jeff / Cheryl I'm the same way (just looking at my furball picture ) But I try to do better the next time so it still helps someone else see what I'm looking at:depressed:
    CALz AyrWKz likes this.
  14. CALz AyrWKz

Oh yeah, it definitely helps to get other opinions. For that reason alone, I see none of my pieces as perfect. It also helps to know that I am not alone and that most other artists think exactly like I do. That's another reason I love this forum, we all think alike, my family sometimes doesn't understand my art.
  15. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Dude, I could not agree more!
    I am my own worst critic, and my wife says that no-one could survive the critique I give my own works. Lmao!
    CALz AyrWKz, wolfbane and jagardn like this.
  16. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!