Turbo pencil case

M

Madbrush

Recently I have been doing a lot more drawing than painting, I haven't given up painting but to relieve the frustration that seems to come with it I want to do more drawing in between paintings, I find drawing extremely relaxing, even more so than my music, when I draw I normally sit on my couch with my pencils and sundries next to me, but often my pencils will roll away and hide themselves between the cushions,, which is also frustrating, me no like, so I had to do something about it, I have several pencil boxes, all of which are bulky and deep, so they take up a lot of room making the area messy as well it being difficult to find stuff since sods law means that everything I need is right at bottom of the box:confused: not acceptable, when I want something I generally want it NOW!!!, lol

Anyway, I bought load of pre-finished MDF normally used for cabinet backing and drawer bottoms, I don't have the means now to prepare it for painting and this stuff has a finish that nothing will adhere to, it's like some kind of plastic coating, so I thought I would make use of it, I used the same stuff to make boxes for my paints a while ago and it's great stuff since there's no need to paint it.

I've ended up with huge pencil case which is just under an inch (2 cm) deep, it's 50 cm X 35 cm and very lightweight.

It consists of two sheets of the above mentioned MDF top and bottom and I picked up an "L" shaped profile with rounded edge on one side from the DIY shop to make the sides of the box, I also picked up a plain profile about 18 mm high and 2 mm thick to create the compartments inside the box to house the items in the second photo, I think how it's put together is self explanatory, but I'll answer questions if need be, the lid as you can probably see just slides in as it would in the old school wooden pencil boxes/domino boxes, when it's in use I just remove the lid which will sit on my lap when I draw and the box will sit next to me so that everything I need is within reach and easy to access, each different item has it's own compartment so I don't have to rummage to find specific things.

20160427_123200.jpg

20160427_123230.jpg

Since I'm constantly looking for ways to save space and have some kind of tidiness fetish, I'm so pleased with this that I plan to make myself a little cabinet with similar dimensions to the whole box to store and organise all of my different papers, this box is actually the same size as my Schoelrshammer airbrush paper so I would need to add a centimeter to the width and length, this will also save me rummaging for specific types of paper:)

and before you know it you will have turned it into a filing cabinet. lol

Necessity isn't the mother of all inventions, mother is the inventor of all necessitys, oops I think I just called you a 'mother' :confused:, never mind you've no doubt been called worse

a very nice solution to your problem, its neat, tidy, classy looking and does what its intended to do. what more could you ask for ?
except maybe some realistic flames coming out of a skulls eyeballs on the lid, then it would be just perfect. :)

and before you know it you will have turned it into a filing cabinet. lol

Necessity isn't the mother of all inventions, mother is the inventor of all necessitys, oops I think I just called you a 'mother' :confused:, never mind you've no doubt been called worse

a very nice solution to your problem, its neat, tidy, classy looking and does what its intended to do. what more could you ask for ?
except maybe some realistic flames coming out of a skulls eyeballs on the lid, then it would be just perfect. :)

LOL, I've definitely been called worse:) but my theory is when they pick on me someone else gets a break:thumbsup:

I actually have a filing cabinet right next to my knee under my desk, but it came from Ikea and literally nothing fits in it, I have my eye on a new desk that has nothing under it, it's designed so that you can decide for yourself what goes under, it's quite heavy duty and I plan to build nice white shelves and compartments on top of it to keep my paints and airbrushes and stuff again so it's easy to reach, I can then store all my papers under it as I described and my compressor too, I have a huge daylight lamp coming soon which I tried to order a while ago for just under €50, but then discovered that that price was only if I order a box of twelve:confused:, but luckily a friend of my work mate is refurbishing his shop and will be installing the same lights in the ceiling, he has to order three boxes and will have four more than he needs, so he kindly agreed to let me have one at unit price:thumbsup:

Next week I'll be ordering the compressor from that video I posted elsewhere, I've been trying to find it here in Holland to cut out the postage but all I can find are copies and I don't trust them, I don't think the post will too bad since it's coming from Germany which is a short walk form where I am:confused::)

:eek::eek::eek:Far to neat and tidy for me....Half the fun is hunting down the eraser or pencillollollol.Nice job though:thumbsup:

If I don't have neat and tidy I have turmoil and if I have turmoil bad things happen, once in fit of uncontrollable rage I broke a finger nail while trying to pull my hair out, in those situations my inspiration and creativeness aren't at their highest level, to avoid such incidents in the future I keep my nails short and my head shaved except for a little tuft on the left temple which I use to dust off my work, space saving again, I'm very solution orientated, thanks to the shiny napper I can now get by with a 10 watt led instead of the normal 20, that actually saves me 30 cents a month in energy costs:thumbsup:

If I don't have neat and tidy I have turmoil and if I have turmoil bad things happen, once in fit of uncontrollable rage I broke a finger nail while trying to pull my hair out, in those situations my inspiration and creativeness aren't at their highest level, to avoid such incidents in the future I keep my nails short and my head shaved except for a little tuft on the left temple which I use to dust off my work, space saving again, I'm very solution orientated, thanks to the shiny napper I can now get by with a 10 watt led instead of the normal 20, that actually saves me 30 cents a month in energy costs:thumbsup:
Do you squeak when you walk???lollollollollol

Nicely done mate looks clean and neat.
I hope you dont sit there cleaning your ears and powdering your cheeks while drawing:whistling:

Nicely done mate looks clean and neat.
I hope you dont sit there cleaning your ears and powdering your cheeks while drawing:whistling:

Ha ha ha, you spotted my make up swabs hawkeye, I use these for blending and shading, honest, I've always naturally looked like huge gnome, it has nothing to do with these items, no really:eek:ops:

I am missing it ????? I have study that picture of the pencil box now for a couple of hours and I can not for the life of me see a Turbo drive in it anywhere !
So how can it be turbo with no turbo drive ???
But as boxes go that is a very nice one.

I am missing it ????? I have study that picture of the pencil box now for a couple of hours and I can not for the life of me see a Turbo drive in it anywhere !
So how can it be turbo with no turbo drive ???
But as boxes go that is a very nice one.

That was just a reference to the humongous dimensions in relation to a healthy normal pencil case, I do apologise for the misleading title, but if it's any consolation, you see the speed some of those pencils go at.

Interesting point: would you believe the contents of just the second bay top left amount to around $80? These are all Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils, greyscale and some umbers and browns which I frequently use, I bought these in addition to a full colour set, ridiculously expensive buggers, there is quite few in there, there's two of some and three of others based on frequency of use, I reckon the whole box has around $250 in total, and all that just to filthy up some nice clean white paper:eek:

That was just a reference to the humongous dimensions in relation to a healthy normal pencil case, I do apologise for the misleading title, but if it's any consolation, you see the speed some of those pencils go at.

Interesting point: would you believe the contents of just the second bay top left amount to around $80? These are all Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils, greyscale and some umbers and browns which I frequently use, I bought these in addition to a full colour set, ridiculously expensive buggers, there is quite few in there, there's two of some and three of others based on frequency of use, I reckon the whole box has around $250 in total, and all that just to filthy up some nice clean white paper:eek:
I can believe the cost of the pencil. We have a couple of special pencil here at work that are 100 US dollars each. just cause some fool wrote archival on them LOL now why didn't I think to do that :D

I can believe the cost of the pencil. We have a couple of special pencil here at work that are 100 US dollars each. just cause some fool wrote archival on them LOL now why didn't I think to do that :D

100 dollars for one pencils, that's cheap if it comes with its own money spinning artist, lol, I don't mind paying for quality but that's rediculous, I've paid about 10 dollars for a simple graphite pencil just because I liked the smooth feel of it, if it works well for me I normally wouldn't argue about the price, in the photo you can see a small off white package right under a small white long box provided, that is a solid ingot of soft graphite I use to make my transfer image, that cost €11 which I think is around 8 dollars, but it's damned handy, the long box contains my 2 and 4 mm fibreglass pens, these are kept in the cage in case I stick my fingers into them when I go to grab something, I only have to lightly touch them and I itch for days:confused:

Its wierd that I constantly complain about the price of paint but never flinch at the cost of a pencil, I've even been heard to say "is that all it is?" never thought you'd that from a Scotsman, did you, lol

Very nice indeed... those naughty pencils need corralling! And your eraser collection is very desirable!!

Very nice indeed... those naughty pencils need corralling! And your eraser collection is very desirable!!

Thanks Mark, the eraser collection is all @AndreZA fault, lol, thanks to him I just grab anything resembling an eraser, my favourites out of them all are the kneedable erasers, fantastic for mild erasing and creating textures, the triangular eraser next to them on the bottom right which a great for erasing long hair strands and basically any kind of long lines and then in the second bay from the right on top you can see two white things that lol like pens, those take 2 mm silicone eraser refills which erase graphite back to clean white in one take, they can also remove greasy finger prints and I have the 5 mm version of it which I normally use for cleaning up, the terry towel effect in the baby drawing which my avatar now was done with these and the kneedable eraser.

You can see a little tube of gouache around top middle, this is for more prominent highlights in eyes and lips and such, handy tip from Mark Crilley, I have lots to thank that guy for:)

Gouache - hell yes!! I got me a tube... :) I have just got a kneadable eraser as well. I have Mark's Realism challenge for my birthday! Good fun!

Gouache - hell yes!! I got me a tube... :) I have just got a kneadable eraser as well. I have Mark's Realism challenge for my birthday! Good fun!

LOL, you told me about the challenge already, be sure to post it when you do, when I'm done with what working now I might try one myself, I think I have enough info from him to carry it out convincingly.

The guy has a pleasant voice on his videos, you probably saw the metal mask he was working on? I want to have play around with that, but I don't want to copy his so I'll look around for something similar to doodle with.

Nice one. A nice tidy box for your tools (said the actress to the bishop). No more fumbling on the sofa, or rummaging for lead in your pencil with a rubber on the end of it, and something hard to work on, rather than something that's a little softer than you'd like, looks like you even have a battery operated spinning device for that little bit of extra effect. :laugh:lol:evil:

And boom the tone is lowered. I'm all out of double entendres, someone else take over.

It's very cool Mr Mad.

Back