Urethane system

M

Milesshawn

I am thinking about going to a urethane system!! I have been using water based paint for at least 10 years but never throughly about urethane. After seeing the kind of effects you get from urethanes I think I want to switch. I am a graff writer as well as an airbrush artist and would like to start using one paint for all. Any thoughts from the forum is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the urge to do urethanes? Just because you can?
There have been a lot of advances with waterbased, there's now candy 2.0 and a specific base (4030) that makes it perform like a urethane.
If you know how water base behaves and that it the way the industry is heading I don't understand why you would change.
This is a genuine question, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just trying to understand why:)

Why the urge to do urethanes? Just because you can?
There have been a lot of advances with waterbased, there's now candy 2.0 and a specific base (4030) that makes it perform like a urethane.
If you know how water base behaves and that it the way the industry is heading I don't understand why you would change.
This is a genuine question, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just trying to understand why:)
I am trying to change because I am heading into the direction of filling my own spray paint cans. I have used water based spray paint but do not like it. I am just trying to eliminate the need for different paints for different methods of art!! Have you used the Candy 2.0? And if you have, have you done any realistic flame jobs??

I would ask what brands of waterbased paint and what didn't you like about it.
I have the candy 2.0 but haven't yet found time to use it, I did however uses the 4030 base with some createx illustration paint and was surprised at how much better it sprayed.
I'm pretty sure @musicmacd is lurking around instead of sleeping and he's used the candy 2.0 and will provide an honest feedback

I use wicked and illustrate for airbrushing and love them. However, for graffiti I have used Montana but did not like it. So that being said, I love the water base paint for airbrushing, I just trying to keep one system so I can cross over with less inventory!!! Thank you for feedback![emoji106]

Being I am not sure where you live on this planet I will tell you to check local EPA laws.
Urethane requires a lot more safety equipment. As far as the Candy20 Yes I have done tru fire with it , Even Mike Lavallee has done tru fire with the new candy20 due to they are true Candies just as the urethane are.
But it would be nice if you posted an introduction and maybe even show some of your work.
I am sure with 10 years under your belt you have pics of you work ...LOL
I do use both water based and urethane but I also have a spray booth that is design for the urethane paints . You still get tip dry with urethane , you can still get color bleed with it too.
But I am not even sure what surface you are painting on . Note spray urethane in a public place can get you more jail time then the item you paint. Why isocyanate cause kill you .

Sorry, for the non introduction!! My bad!!! I forgot that I changed my username. Have been a member of this blog since the first paint pal. I am a quite sole but love to read about art and observe others work. I remember airbrushing my first t-shirt back in 1988. I lost interest in art for quite some time as life took over and making a living was more important. Now I love to be in the dungeon(art studio in basement) and at my graff wall in my backyard. I live in Maine and it is always a challenge with the constant weather change!
During the winter I spend my time in the dungeon but during the summer it is at the graff wall. We do not have regulations here but I do take precautions with spraying. I will post some of my art. I do my graffiti in my backyard because it has to be legal. My real job is public safety (if you know what I mean) so it is imperative that everything I do is legal.[emoji2][emoji2]

Being I am not sure where you live on this planet I will tell you to check local EPA laws.
Urethane requires a lot more safety equipment. As far as the Candy20 Yes I have done tru fire with it , Even Mike Lavallee has done tru fire with the new candy20 due to they are true Candies just as the urethane are.
But it would be nice if you posted an introduction and maybe even show some of your work.
I am sure with 10 years under your belt you have pics of you work ...LOL
I do use both water based and urethane but I also have a spray booth that is design for the urethane paints . You still get tip dry with urethane , you can still get color bleed with it too.
But I am not even sure what surface you are painting on . Note spray urethane in a public place can get you more jail time then the item you paint. Why isocyanate cause kill you .
a76c4c4db6970e165242068e2fc4c05b.jpg
Here is some pieces!!!

You safest bet is to stick with water based , Why you never know when someone on Oxygen will pass by , Or a small child . While your health and safety is important it is more important to protect those in the area you are painting in .
While I know it is all outside ISO carry fast , Mainly if you can smell it , it is in you lungs already and depending on your health or others around the area is how badly it can effect them.

As do carbon emissions from vehicles we drive, industry, fossil fuel etc etc. I will continue to use water base but was trying to become more efficient.

As do carbon emissions from vehicles we drive, industry, fossil fuel etc etc. I will continue to use water base but was trying to become more efficient.

Huge difference between carbon emissions and ISO .

Nice color Miles. Which are the different effects that you think you could get with urethane paint? I'm asking from my ignorance!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Nice color Miles. Which are the different effects that you think you could get with urethane paint? I'm asking from my ignorance!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Its not the effects!!! It's keeping one brand of paint for all types of painting I do!! I am fully aware on the dangers of using urethane, not for just me or the family but for everybody around me. But it seems like, shame on me to think of using urethanes!! I get the risks, I was a teacher for green products for many years.

Jaja don't took everything so literally, did you try the new waterbourne lines from ppg or glasurit! I was watching Charlie Huttons ( one of the best car shown painters) or Fosse and I was amazed, I never though that you can achive so beutifull colors with water paints???RD785361545AR

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Jaja don't took everything so literally, did you try the new waterbourne lines from ppg or glasurit! I was watching Charlie Huttons ( one of the best car shown painters) or Fosse and I was amazed, I never though that you can achive so beutifull colors with water paints???RD785361545AR

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Well thank you for that information! I will check them out. It's probably how people will read the post but I did want to sound literal. For those who think I was, I am sorry!!![emoji2][emoji2]

you would already be super familiar with createx and have said that you love it, so why not expand a bit into the auto air range, still water based, some amazing colours. That way there are minimal health risks, its what you are familiar with.
No one is trying to teach you to suck eggs, but there are a lot of people that aren't aware how dangerous urethanes are. getting the info into the thread is beneficial for newbies to know.
in the end you will make your own decisions, but if nothing else you've helped spread some info. :thumbsup:

you would already be super familiar with createx and have said that you love it, so why not expand a bit into the auto air range, still water based, some amazing colours. That way there are minimal health risks, its what you are familiar with.
No one is trying to teach you to suck eggs, but there are a lot of people that aren't aware how dangerous urethanes are. getting the info into the thread is beneficial for newbies to know.
in the end you will make your own decisions, but if nothing else you've helped spread some info. :thumbsup:
Thank you for your input!!! If I could put water base into the GBX3 system then I would have never asked. I like water based paint and I finally feel comfortable using them in my airbrush!!!

Its not the effects!!! It's keeping one brand of paint for all types of painting I do!! I am fully aware on the dangers of using urethane, not for just me or the family but for everybody around me. But it seems like, shame on me to think of using urethanes!! I get the risks, I was a teacher for green products for many years.

NO worries and I was mainly putting it out for anyone who reads this post .
I would not want some young teenager thinking it was alright to order HOK spray cans in go to town so to speak . Or the 2K spray cans they have even higher numbers on the amount of ISO in it.

Back