Using lacquer on models safely.

Crabcar

Young Tutorling
So here's my situation: I'm in a small apartment with no garage, living with my wife and our cat. I have a spray booth with exhaust outlet in the window, and I may or may not get a respirator and/or goggles of some kind for myself. I want to use some really dangerous toxic lacquer paints like Gunze Sangyo, Alclad, etc.

Question: How do I keep my wife and cat safe? I'm sucking paint out the window, and probably protecting myself pretty well, but will there be more I can't sense that will harm them?

the truth . You can not.
Keep away from heat, sparks, flame and all other sources of ignition. Vapors may cause flash fire or ignite
explosively.
Do not use in areas where vapors can accumulate and concentrate such as basements, bathrooms and small,
enclosed areas. Whenever possible use outdoors in an open air area. If using indoors open all windows and doors
and maintain a cross ventilation of
moving fresh air across the work area. If strong odor is noticed or you experience slight dizziness – STOP –
ventilation is inadequate. Leave area immediately.
Potential Health Effects (Acute and Chronic)
Inhalation Acute Exposure Effects:
Vapor harmful. May cause dizziness; headache; watering of eyes; irritation of respiratory tract; weakness;
drowsiness; nausea; numbness in fingers, arms and legs; depression of central nervous system; loss of appetite;
fatigue; hallucinations; light headedness; visual disturbances; giddiness and intoxication; sleepiness; cough and
dyspnea; cold, clammy extremities; diarrhea; vomiting; dilation of pupils; spotted vision. Severe overexposure
may cause convulsions; unconsciousness; coma; and death. Intentional misuse of this product by deliberately
concentrating and inhaling can be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
May be absorbed through the skin. May cause irritation; numbness in the fingers and arms; drying of skin; and
dermatitis. May cause increased severity of symptoms listed under inhalation.
Eye Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
This material is an eye irritant. May cause irritation; burns; conjunctivitis of eyes; and corneal ulcerations of the
eye. Vapors may irritate eyes.
Ingestion Acute Exposure Effects:
Poison. Cannot be made non-poisonous. May be fatal or cause blindness. May cause dizziness; headache;
nausea; vomiting; burning sensation in mouth, throat, and stomach; loss of coordination; depression of the central
nervous system; narcosis; stupor; gastrointestinal irritation; liver, kidney, and heart damage; diarrhea; loss of
appetite; coma and death. May produce symptoms listed under inhalation.
Chronic Exposure Effects:
Reports have associated repeated and prolonged overexposure to solvents with neurological and other
physiological damage. Prolonged or repeated contact may cause dermatitis. Prolonged skin contact may result in
absorption of a harmful amount of this material. May cause conjunctivitis; gastric disturbances; insomnia;
dizziness; headache; weakness; fatigue; nausea; heart palpitations; skin irritation; numbness in hands and feet;
permanent central nervous system changes; some loss of memory; pancreatic damage; giddiness; visual
impairment or blindness; kidney or liver damage; and death. May cause symptoms listed under inhalation.
Target Organs: Central Nervous System, Liver, Kidney, Heart, Stomach, Respiratory System
Primary Routes of Entry: Inhalation, Ingestion, Skin Absorption

This is pretty much what all the Material safety data sheet MSDS says on 95% of all Lacquers and the thinners for them.

Why not acrylics? They dont kill you so fast...and they are hard and durable.

Why not acrylics? They dont kill you so fast...and they are hard and durable.

I'll mostly be using Tamiya acrylics (which also give off some fumes), but there are effects, like realistic chrome, for which they're just no good.

Look up Chrome skull in the step by steps Those were done with all waterbase paints and show just how real you can make waterbase paints look like Chrome!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'll mostly be using Tamiya acrylics (which also give off some fumes), but there are effects, like realistic chrome, for which they're just no good.
Sikkens got something like this in waterborn paint line (always more safe then laquers) they was use this ona Mclaren f1

Look up Chrome skull in the step by steps Those were done with all waterbase paints and show just how real you can make waterbase paints look like Chrome!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you. I think I found the thread you're referring to, but just to clarify, I'm talking about painting resin models in a chrome finish which reflects light in close to the same way as real chrome. Of course, a few people do paint these models in an "optical illusion" style meant to replicate what you would see in animation, but I'm going for the real deal.

Sikkens got something like this in waterborn paint line (always more safe then laquers) they was use this ona Mclaren f1

I will check that out. Thank you. Hey, if there's a way to get a great, realistic metallic finish on models without resorting to lacquer, I'm all for it. I dread the headaches and fear that are going to come with using lacquer. ;)

Its call Autowave mm 338 sa or argentum... its not cheap but you can buy it from car paint shop. And its also rquire respirator like all atomized paints.

Back in the late 70's when I when I was a body man/painter all we used was lacquer. We painted cars on the floor next to each others work space and no one ever wore a mask...I remember watching guys paint with a cigarette hang out of their mouths... we used to clean the paint off our hands with lacquer thinner. I have seen and did it myself-using a grinder on metal and sparks hit the open gallon can of lacquer thinner we always had on the paint bench to clean off the paint stir sticks- catch on fire...We don't need no "sticking" MSDS sheets (I don't think we even had them then)...We have come a long way...ahh the good ole days.

Back in the late 70's when I when I was a body man/painter all we used was lacquer. We painted cars on the floor next to each others work space and no one ever wore a mask...I remember watching guys paint with a cigarette hang out of their mouths... we used to clean the paint off our hands with lacquer thinner. I have seen and did it myself-using a grinder on metal and sparks hit the open gallon can of lacquer thinner we always had on the paint bench to clean off the paint stir sticks- catch on fire...We don't need no "sticking" MSDS sheets (I don't think we even had them then)...We have come a long way...ahh the good ole days.
That is why a lot of us old guys have health issues today LOL . Plus that was in a shop not a house or a room in the house .
Most shops had the doors open and fans blowing cause AC cost the owners too much LOL
But hand polishing Lacquer to get that mirror shine was and still is a pain.

Createx has the new chrome paint and is water based, maybe @Squishy can shed some light on this subject.

If it's exhausted to the outside, that will help. It don't spray while anyone but you are in the area. And get a respirator. Not a dust mask, but a no kidding real respirator.

As far as the paint, I'll agree there's nothing like a perfect Alclad finish. But you are going to be using such small amounts you shouldn't worry too much. Alclad uses extremely thin coats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back