What airbrush?

I started with a aztek 3000 in the late 80's and after a long break brought a hp-b+ It was relatively cheap and performs faultlessly. I was lucky enough to be given a richpen 213c mojo by a very kind artist off another forum who was moving. It is excellent for fine detail but you would struggle to get one of them now i think, plus Mike Learn is now using the v3 mojo which is a Custom Talon. Saying that i can get very fine detail with the hp-b so the richpen just has pride of place in my ab box where its safe. I dont personally think you need to buy a 400 cm, they have updated the model but i wouldnt think it would spray any better than the older model. I have a cm-sb and its good but i can pull almost the same lines with the hp-b or the 213c. More food for thought. Save a few euro's and get a high end model and maybe a micron later on if you ever need to.

Lee

Grex themselves probably dont sell
Interesting site. Had a butcher's through it, but could not find prices. Anyone ever used the ab's? Anyone know the prices?

Why don't web sites give price lists? Just don't make sense.
Grex themselves probably don't sell direct. Amazon do them...!

Grex themselves probably dont sell

Grex themselves probably don't sell direct. Amazon do them...!
AMAZON!!!
Ireland don't exist as far as they're concerned. All I ever get from them is "does not post to Ireland".
Not only can you not get goods in Ireland, such as simple things like rubbing alchohol, but it also seems no one wants to post here. This country is so backward it's crazy.

I'm following this thread because I'm pretty much in the same boat as woodpecker. Looking for a new high end airbrush.

I've just started airbrushing and I'm a sucker for tools and prime class equipment. Got the Iwata Eclipse HP CS and it's a very nice brush. Thanks to our friend Imortal here I've discovered that the HP-CS can do very fine lines and I would probably be doing fine with that for a long time.

But, I've got an itch for a first class detail airbrush... and like ts, I'm not on a budget. Looking at the Iwata Kustom line. I know it's not going to make me a better painter and will probably give me a hard time getting to know it. But I want it.. :)

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:
I'm following this thread because I'm pretty much in the same boat as woodpecker. Looking for a new high end airbrush.

I've just started airbrushing and I'm a sucker for tools and prime class equipment. Got the Iwata Eclipse HP CS and it's a very nice brush. Thanks to our friend Imortal here I've discovered that the HP-CS can do very fine lines and I would probably be doing fine with that for a long time.

But, I've got an itch for a first class detail airbrush... and like ts, I'm not on a budget. Looking at the Iwata Kustom line. I know it's not going to make me a better painter and will probably give me a hard time getting to know it. But I want it.. :)

Sorry for the hijack.

If you feel like that, just get it and be happy with it, all you have to do to avoid disappointment is pay attention to thinning and anything else that makes a detail brush harder to use, and don't mess with anything your not sure about, run everything by the guys here when you need to.

As for becoming a better painter, simple practice is all you need, I've seen that your making progress so you are well on your way.

I haven't made up my mind yet and nothing has been ordered. And if someone would like to talk me out of my stupidity they are more than welcome. :)

Sorry for the hijack.
Nothing different about the custom line, same brushes just larger paint cup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi woodpecker,
I wish I had bought an Iwata Eclipse 0.35mm when I first started airbrushing. It's a fantastic airbrush that will allow you to learn airbrushing techniques and build up your skills with much less frustration. You need to do this before thinking about getting a detail airbrush. It was the mistake I made and ended up costing me a lot more money. It will give you good coverage and you can also get good detail with it. Once your skills are down and sorted with the Eclipse, get a Micron for the fine detail. With those 2 airbrushes you will eventually be able to paint almost anything.

I've never used a Badger Krome but I have a Sotar 20/20 which is a lovely airbrush but very, very fussy with paint, my Micron 0.23mm is easier with paint and gives more reliable fine detail. But I would not have been able to use either of those detail airbrushes without first learning with my Iwata Eclipse. When you are learning you just don't need the hassel a fine detail airbrush will give you, believe me I've been there.
Cheers Mel

I never had much luck with the eclipse. I found I was sealing all the threads with wax to prevent air leaks and keep the line consistent. Every time I had to clean out the nozzle I had to break the wax and re-seal it.

One mistake I made was when I was going through my Ultra sonic cleaning phase. I put all the nozzles from my eclipses in making sure they weren't touching. and turned it on. None of them sprayed right after that, Looking at the nozzle tips with a magnifying glass the extreme nozzle edges were all ragged as result I guessed from the micro turbulent created along the edges. Needless to say after many expletive the Cleaner was binned.

I have the hp-cs and wanted another airbrush for detail work and got a badger Krome from coast at a great price as thay matched a price I found on the net.GO COAST!!!

I'm a complete novice myself, started ab'ing four weeks ago. I don't have anything to compare with so I write what my little experience is good for.

I bought a second hand iwata HP-CS as my first ab and it is like all say a true workhorse. It feels ok, it sprays good and you can do a fair bit of detail with it. So to speak, it does what you expect from it but it feels like driving a Volvo.

I've read all over the place that Microns are not for beginners, but despite that I ordered one. Last week I got an iwata Custom Micron CM-C Plus 2 0.23mm, the new one with a price tag that leaves you eating crackers and cat food for the rest of the year...

It is an absolutely awesome tool and compared to the HP-CS it feels like driving the best German luxury car (or maybe a Lexus). The trigger is silky smooth.. atomization 100% perfect.. MAC-valve at your fingertips, what a nice feature.. for me as a novice there's a cool feature in the needle travel limiter, less risk for sudden detail accidents if your'e using it wisely. No hassle, no issues.. it sprays like a beast!

I've been painting with it for about 8 hours so far and all I can say is... if you can afford it, go buy it!

Back