Which airbrush to add to my arsenal

P

Pat Keith

Hello Everyone,
I am returning to airbrushing after a long gap and have an equipment question. I currently have two Paasche VL guns (one with fine setup and one with medium setup), two Badger 150s (one with fine setup and one with medium setup, and an Iwata Neo BCN ... All are suction fed guns. I have also been looking at a Paasche Talon airbrush that will get to very small detail. I have all the other requisite equipment (compressor, dryer, hoses, filters, etc..) and would like some opinions on whether the Badgers would do for now (the fine setup gets pretty detailed) or would it be worth it to invest in the Paasche Talon. Thanks for your help.
Pat

I don't have a Talon, but I do have a Mojo III. It is capable of very fine detail, but the brush itself does take a little bit of adjusting on the air cap to get the pattern dialed in.

Until you get back into the swing of things, I would think your current brushes should be fine, it really depends on what you are trying to do.

I don't have a Talon, but I do have a Mojo III. It is capable of very fine detail, but the brush itself does take a little bit of adjusting on the air cap to get the pattern dialed in.

Until you get back into the swing of things, I would think your current brushes should be fine, it really depends on what you are trying to do.
Thanks for the response.... I think that with your advice, I will stick with what I have. I do want to eventually move into more realistic art and portrait work and may justify the detail capability of an Iwata or Paasche Talon etc. Thanks again, Pat

Thanks for the response.... I think that with your advice, I will stick with what I have. I do want to eventually move into more realistic art and portrait work and may justify the detail capability of an Iwata or Paasche Talon etc. Thanks again, Pat

Once you get back into practice, you should be able to determine if you will need something for finer detail. I have a bunch of detail brushes and I can get pretty similar results with all of them. Its just a matter of practice and gaining trigger control. Of course paint reductions have a lot to do with detail and consistency also.

I used to use the Paasche VL and it is a great airbrush. However, if you want to step up, I suggest the Iwata HP-C. The Iwata can go from broad to fine strokes no problem. I've done hairlines with my Iwata and it's just absolutely a great airbrush. I tried a Badger before, don't remember the model type, and it was okay. I even have an Aztec, and it's decent, but neither one of them compares to the versatility of the Iwata HP-C.

Back