Which micron did you buy and why?

S

Smiler65

just wondered what model and tip size people bought and why they choose that option. I bought a cm b originally with the 0.18 then got offered the chance of a cm sb for a good price and found I preferred the sb as I seemed to be able to aim better with it. At the time I didn't realise they done a0.23 tip or how hard reduction was to achieve with a fine tip.

Getting the paint to flow (reduction) is just a matter of experience I think as except for regulr createx I never ha trouble with it with my microns (exception when it gets above 30 c)

If you buy a micron you'll want it for the fine detail so I'm not sure why one should get a 0.23 over a 0.18. I did get a 0.23 (CM-C) before I got me a sb and now only use it for large areas (where a much cheaper gun would sufice).

So I'd alway's go for a 0.18 when getting a micron.

I've tried both 0.18's and much prefer the SB due to it's side cup. I have serveral cups making it a lot easier to switch between paints (one cup is filled with water, quick spraythrough and another cup with another color can be used). The cups (like the brush are expensive but there are plastic variants avaliable which are way cheaper).

Nothing blocking my view when close up as the cup is on the side with the SB.

So when faced with a choice between the 2 0.18's I'd pick the CM-SB

Thanks for the replies, seems to be a common thing about wanting easy colour changes.
I've seen those plastic cups that you can get, very reasonably priced compared to the price of the iwata one. Like the idea haasje of one filled with just water for a quick flush through.

Why do they do a .23 if it's not much difference between them.

For people who didn't buy the sb Did the side mount put you off buying it because you thought it would be unbalanced? Personally I didn't notice anything between the b or sb on that front.

Thanks for the replies, seems to be a common thing about wanting easy colour changes.
I've seen those plastic cups that you can get, very reasonably priced compared to the price of the iwata one. Like the idea haasje of one filled with just water for a quick flush through.

Why do they do a .23 if it's not much difference between them.

For people who didn't buy the sb Did the side mount put you off buying it because you thought it would be unbalanced? Personally I didn't notice anything between the b or sb on that front.

@haasje dutchairbrush has a side cup with no bottom so he can constantly fill it with any colour at all so colour changing and cleaning are both very easy, even mixing colours can be done is seconds by just shuffling his feet on the carpet, this explains why he is able to knock out masterpiece after masterpiece and give the impression that he never takes a break, why is no one else this inventive?;)

I tend to shy away from the side feed simply because I get the impression there could be a balance issue, this is probably far from the the truth but before I would actually buy one I would I would have to feel one in my hand, I don;t have a problem with the top feed since I have normally view what I'm doing at a diagonal angle downwards towards the tip so for me the cup (even larger cups) aren't a problem.

I've read people think there's a balance problem but could only see that if you fitted one of the large bottles on the side.

Your more than welcome to come over and hold minelollol but think it might be easier to try one when you go on your trip with haasje.

@Smiler65, the nozzle sizes of airbrushes has more to do with what size pigment it can handle than how fine it can spray. If you use paint from tubes you are not gonna use a Micron. And if you paint with inks or dyes you are not gonna use a HPLV gun.

I first used the SB when I took the Marissa class and that's what they use as standard. I loved it, so when I eventually got my Micron the SB was the one I chose., If I had to choose another it would be the B as it's a small cup and that's what I've been used to with the HP-B+ . Nozzle size wasn't even thought about.

Lee

I got the cm-b for the smaller cup and the 0.18 nozzle, i didn't really like the look of the SB at the time altho now i can see the advantages of it for the reasons mentioned above, colour change and view etc, but i still think id buy the B, i just like gravity feed. While were on the subject of Microns anybody else chrome worn away in the cup?? Mines been gone since a few months after i got it. Can it be re-chromed??

It was a toss up between the CM-C+ and the Kustom CM . The CM-C+ won in the end , But With the help of David Monnig at Coast I also bought the .18 head and needle to make it like a 2 in one kind of thing. Had only used it with the 23 until a year ago then finally changed it to the .18
But David said that out of the gravity feed the CM-C+ was easiest to clean.

I got the cm-b for the smaller cup and the 0.18 nozzle, i didn't really like the look of the SB at the time altho now i can see the advantages of it for the reasons mentioned above, colour change and view etc, but i still think id buy the B, i just like gravity feed. While were on the subject of Microns anybody else chrome worn away in the cup?? Mines been gone since a few months after i got it. Can it be re-chromed??

The inside of the cup isn't actually chromed like the outside, it just a protective coating for storage purposes, it wears off and unless there is visible flaking it won't affect performance at all.

I like B too for the small cup, I also like the weight of it, it seems to feel like an extension of my hand and looks great beside my HP-BH ;)

I went with the .23 cm-c. 1 - admittedly because of the price , 2 - the .23 because it would be a bit more forgiving for paint, and because I could get fine detail already from the HP-CS, so I knew the detail on this would be awesome and didn't need the .18 (which proved to be true), 3 - I didn't want a side bucket as I don't find them comfortable to hold, and 4 - I didn't want the internal mac valve, I prefer a separate one I can hold underneath the brush, 5 - larger cup size for more versatility and larger amounts of paint for auto work.

The inside of the cup isn't actually chromed like the outside, it just a protective coating for storage purposes, it wears off and unless there is visible flaking it won't affect performance at all.

I like B too for the small cup, I also like the weight of it, it seems to feel like an extension of my hand and looks great beside my HP-BH ;)

Cheers mate, was just wondering, i find the paint is harder to clean of the inside these days really sticks in no time at all

Cheers mate, was just wondering, i find the paint is harder to clean of the inside these days really sticks in no time at all

You can polish the cup and when you use reducer and mix in the cup put your reducer in first and then your paint, also if I stop fir a while for scratching and other stuff I usually clean everything out between these sessions.

You can polish the cup and when you use reducer and mix in the cup put your reducer in first and then your paint, also if I stop fir a while for scratching and other stuff I usually clean everything out between these sessions.

Yea mate im a clean freak when it comes to my brushes, i actually think thats why ive been going thro so many nozzles and needles, i need a third needle and forth nozzle, for the micron prob the same for the Neo lol
I do mix as you say.
what sort of polish would i use for the inside of the cup mate??

Wow some great info there. @AndreZA didn't think about pigment size being a reason but that makes sense thanks. @Squishy obviously new that when she choose hers as I think she uses a slightly bigger pigment paint due to working on autos?
I suppose if your doing larger areas then the c cup makes more sense or you would be forever filling up the little sb cup.

@Mr.Micron that is the only thing I find with the sb, knowing if the little tube is really clean and not having a little bit clinging on. I do strip the cup and leave it soak overnight in cleaner once in a while.

I have the HP+ A and B cup because I never planned on doing anything large, both have the .2mm needle, I was considering a 2nd HP+B when one of the members here offered up a micron .18 at half price, which was pretty darn close to what a HP+ would have cost me, so I jumped at it, I figure the micron is a 'detail' brush so why would I go for a needle that is bigger than what I already had !

I have the HP+ A and B cup because I never planned on doing anything large, both have the .2mm needle, I was considering a 2nd HP+B when one of the members here offered up a micron .18 at half price, which was pretty darn close to what a HP+ would have cost me, so I jumped at it, I figure the micron is a 'detail' brush so why would I go for a needle that is bigger than what I already had !

I really prefer a C or D cup, but Iwata I only makes a C. I got the CMC+ because the + just seemed a bit close to what I like. ;)

Back