Working with terra slate paper

Jonathon

Mac-Valve Maestro!
My terra slate paper samples came in and I started a valentines gift for my wife on the #14 thickness sheet. I love the feel and durability of this paper, but am having trouble erasing on it. I'm using wicked black reduced 20 drops reducer to one drop paint. I didn't think with it being a smooth plastic material I would have to worry about it "soaking" in and not erasing. It will scratch off, but takes a little force. My electric eraser works, but I gotta just about drain the batteries lol. I tried adding twice as much pain to the bottle, about 10 to 1 ratio and added some trans base. Shortly after doing that I started seeing blue in my cup...Blue?!?! Frigging lost here and put it aside for the moment earlier to just re juice (wine lol) and calm a bit. Doing a joker and harley quinn combo piece on 8.5 by 11 terra slate waterproof paper with wicked paints. Only mapped in where some facial points would be and tried to erase some little textures in some spots.20180204_001221.jpg

Switched to transparent black com art and it works a lot better. Used it straight from the bottle, but I got a lot of overspray/splatter surrounding the area I aimed at. Thinned it 50 50 with 4012 and it's not 100 awesome, but I may get somwhere lol. Trying to use the same piece I started.. psi about 40 or so and using my iwata eclipse

I'm interested to see the results of the Terraslate. Sounds like Wicked is holding on pretty tight to it.

Ikr, might be cause of how highly reduced it was, dunno. If I wasn't trying to erase a bunch I would live it lol
Sure. I find the same on Bristol Board, it will erase, but it needs a lot of work to get it there. I'm going to try some Wicked Illustration soon. At least that's made to be erased.

This paper is tough though...I've scraped, erased, smudged, electric erased, I even used an eraser with sand in it and it holds up..everything I've used would have tore up by now

Sure. I find the same on Bristol Board, it will erase, but it needs a lot of work to get it there. I'm going to try some Wicked Illustration soon. At least that's made to be erased.
I've never used bris to board, but I've used smooth Bristol paper when I drew a portrait of chris cornell for my wife...didn't like being erased on at all really

I've never used bris to board, but I've used smooth Bristol paper when I drew a portrait of chris cornell for my wife...didn't like being erased on at all really
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've found. It's great in that it's pretty cheap and it's a nice surface to paint on, but now that I've moved along with learning a little, I'm wanting to try a surface that's better for erasing.

Mr micron would even be proud of me cause I even did some dots, daggers and lines before using the comart. I kinda skipped that step and he said he was gonna make me...lol...I just kinda always jump in the deep end and tell myself I can do something...always try things I've never been good at and force myself to make a good one

I just got my kaolin clay and pva glue in the mail yesterday, my titanium white powder comes in tomorrow. Imma be Makin some homemade clayboard this week to work with. But this terra slate paper seems really promising so I wanna give it a good go

Mr micron would even be proud of me cause I even did some dots, daggers and lines before using the comart. I kinda skipped that step and he said he was gonna make me...lol...I just kinda always jump in the deep end and tell myself I can do something...always try things I've never been good at and force myself to make a good one
I know the feeling. But I do the same now too. I have a separate piece of paper with an exercise all mapped out. Every time I start painting I test my mix there and do a few lines and dagger to warm up. It does make a difference, so I’m glad he beat it into me LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20180205_025737.jpg this is the reference I'm useing. Not sure if I'll go color once the monotone BW is done..see how much time I have left.before I try another hurdle. Gonna put MAD to the left of the joker and LOVE to the right of harley

I know the feeling. But I do the same now too. I have a separate piece of paper with an exercise all mapped out. Every time I start painting I test my mix there and do a few lines and dagger to warm up. It does make a difference, so I’m glad he beat it into me LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he's an awesome guy. Lives not too far from me. Once it warms up a bit outside imma show up and sling some paint and moonshine with him

Yeah, he's an awesome guy. Lives not too far from me. Once it warms up a bit outside imma show up and sling some paint and moonshine with him
I need to get back up his way sometime. It would be awesome if you could come over and we could all hang out and sling some paint!

I need to get back up his way sometime. It would be awesome if you could come over and we could all hang out and sling some paint!
Yes it would..If your ever heading that way again, lemme know..might be able to make it work...that would be awesome. Big John doesn't live too far away either. I've talked with him about meeting up too

how far away are you guys? The problem with me is I don't get a lot of advance warning. I might know the day before I'm gonna be there.

Like 1 hour and a half or so...don't know how far out in blooming ton he lives, but within 2 hours I should be there...

Back