Xmas is coming!

L

littlerick

Well managed to get a little bit of work... Maybe not my ideal job, roofers mate, tad scared of hights!

Anyway figured if I'm gonna get up at 6.30 and spend all day shakin' with fear, I deserve a xmas pressy.

Want to spend around £100 on a airbrush, few quid more maybe! I'm using autoair paints, painting on anything and painting anything. I would like to get better, as good as I can anyway.

Q1... Would I be better off getting a brand new airbrush or going for a slightly better model in the second hand market?

Q2... What airbrush models are forgiving for a noob and within budget?

Feel free to list any you can as I am going to read every review I find on all of em! I like to think I will spend wisely if I do enough research.

Second hand is always risky, especially if you don't understand what to look for and diagnose issues. Most sold of fleabay are not working and that's why they are being sold to try and offload it on an unexpecting buyer. New is best if you can afford it. You will get mixed reviews depending on who answers. Iwata, badger, h&s are the most common. It's best to see what's most readily available in your area parts wise for the inevitable breakdowns. Me personally I don't like badger. Not a huge fan of iwata but I do own several and they are workhorses and will last forever. I also really like richpen aside from my main choice of mojos (modified talons) but not recommended for a beginner at all as they are finicky and many give up too quickly on them.

I tend to do everything on the internet, so parts are usually around for most things. I get the feeling that Badger parts can be hard to get sometimes.

I think H&S do a range with parts that are compatible with a few models, which may be better for me.

Yeah the parts and airbrushes are out of stock with most vendors with badger and one of many reasons I'm not a fan. A lot of people on here love their h&s especially outside of the usa. Not common round these parts at all but I do plan on getting one for myself one day as one can never have enough airbrushes.

Looking at H&S Ultra or Evolution 2in1. Price isn't bad... Anyone got or use either. Please let me know if your happy or not.

Iwata still a little confusing as so many different models. Not many within price!

Baseline to start with with iwata is eclipse bcs. Neo is not made by them and is a cheaper version but some people like them. I started with a bcs over 15 years ago and just recently gave it away since I didn't use it anymore. When you get into hiline and Kustom series it's just added stuff like a mac valve and the k series have larger paint cups. Then there is the highly overpriced imo micron which is touted as one of the best detail airbrushes ever made, and it is for the most part but I can out paint one with different airbrushes, that just comes down to technique. There are a lot that have the 2 h&s you listed and they should chime in eventually

Welp, I have 2 Badger Kromes, and a Passche Vision.. I agree, dont buy a second hand from someone you dont know. If its from here, or something like that, then you should be ok. I bought my 2nd Krome from a friend on the Createx web site

I would get a new one as most have a waranty with them so if it not working right when you get it you can send it back for replacement

You could get lucky and get a good second hand one, but it's a risk. Will it have been maintained, are the seals good, are the nozzle and needle good, have the springs been messed with?. If not then with the cost of replacing parts you could have got a new one, and all the guarantees that come with it. If you can see one working, and give it a good look over then that would be better.

Most people like different brushes for different reasons, the type of painting they want to do, the size they work at, whether they prefer a bottom feed, side bucket, or gravity fed brush, the weight/ balance, trigger position etc. So bearing in mind my particular bias :) I always recommend the iwata HP-CS. It suits me for all the reasons I mentioned, but I also think you are getting a lot of brush for the money. It's a .35 nozzle so while not the finest, is also very versatile, giving a good area of coverage, (relatively speaking) as well as being able to get some really fine lines when you get to know it. The all in one trigger assembly makes it easy to take apart and maintain, and the self centering nozzle is a lot less fiddly and also easier to clean. It has durable parts, making it a workhorse, needle and nozzle are strong, so unless you drop them (or play javelins lol) last for ages. The downside being they are not the cheapest for replacement parts should you need them, but you rarely need them.

It's good to learn with, but also you won't outgrow it. As I say I'm biased, I use mine for everything and have done for 2 1/2 years. Not that I wouldn't love a micron, but at 4 times the price, until I can afford it, I'll stick with what I have.

If you get the chance to hold a few different brushes to see what feels comfy, then see what will meet your needs depending on the type of painting you want to do (mostly fine detail = smaller nozzle for example) and then narrow that down to what's in your price range, and it may help you choose.

If you are interested in the Hp-cs try here http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product.php?products_id=5239. I've used them before, and believe this is a good price. (they were cheapest when I got mine, but it may be good to look around)

I personally have sold all my Badgers to a forum member/ FB friend. If you are buying from a source you trust and get straight answers it is one thing.

. I have also bought 2 Microns used from EBay, one is a B and it's awesome, my C is a tad beat and needed new parts to work right. I still made out ok even with a needle, nozzle, and a needle bearing, but my $300 used micron became a $400 one, and only saved me $50 for the cost of a new one.

Buyer beware on used. Trusted sources are fine usually.

Lots of good reviews on the H&S Ultra... I could get a 2 in 1 for less than £100. Nozzles and needles are the same across the range of airbrushes and they are not bad priced. Not as good quality as some, but for being on a budget may work out better.

I will only be using autoair water based paints. So the rubber seals are not too big a deal. If youve used one let me know!

Back