1st Look - rOtring Model E airbrush

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
Now, this one is about as cool as cool gets! rOtring Modle E airbrush. This one has a dated spray test sheet from May of 1992. Best as I can tell, once this brush was tested, it was never even hooked up to air again. Everything about is screams never used, or even taken out of the package, or case. I want to make a new fitting for the air hose connection to make it compatible with the set up I am already using, so it will be a few days at least before I try it out for the first time. Even still, I can tell you my impression of it is - it is freakin' awesome
1f609.png

The action work by pressing down the upper lever, which initiates airflow, and then moves the needle backwards. The further you press it down, the further back the needle is drawn. There is a ring behind the trigger that rotates to limit the needle travel, which acts as a pre-set or needle stop. Made in Germany, it is exceptionally well made.

I am even more excited now to get in the original design/build of the brush, in the form of a pair of Conopois brushes. Maybe by weeks end... Much, much more to follow on these.

rOtring1.jpg rOtring2.jpg

Couple things abut he rOtring- they have a proprietary air hose, and hose barb on the brush. I ditched the proprietary stuff, and made a new fitting that would accept a normal female QC - so that I could just hook it up to my existing hose. Worked a charm. In case you were wondering hat it is like to hold the odd-ball contraption, it is actually much more comfortable than it looks.

rOtring in hand1.jpg

Blimey, the universe works in mysterious ways. A few days after drooling at these pictures a friend came round with some unwanted art supplies and amongst them is the same airbrush. Like yours it has a test sheet ( 15/01/91) and appears to be brand new. It's a beautiful thing. Sadly no air hose.

Forgot to add that mine comes with a bag of spare O rings of various sizes.

I remember Rotring from my school days, I had bunch of Rotrings which were used for technical drawing at school. They were making great stuff.
Nonsense aside, I love how this airbrush looks like pencil. Even how hose attach to the airbrush looks awesome. You got me very interested so I went to google about it. Looks like this brush had 2 different nozzles which works with the same needle. I also found few spares can be still bought. I found nozzle:
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Rotring-Airbrush-Spares.html

I don't get it why more manufactures don't make design like this...

Blimey, the universe works in mysterious ways. A few days after drooling at these pictures a friend came round with some unwanted art supplies and amongst them is the same airbrush. Like yours it has a test sheet ( 15/01/91) and appears to be brand new. It's a beautiful thing. Sadly no air hose.

Forgot to add that mine comes with a bag of spare O rings of various sizes.

If you can not source a vinyl tubing to use for the brush, drop me a PM and I may be able to make another QC fitting - I have mine set up to attach directly to my regular air hose. Mine also came with the bag of seals.

I remember Rotring from my school days, I had bunch of Rotrings which were used for technical drawing at school. They were making great stuff.
Nonsense aside, I love how this airbrush looks like pencil. Even how hose attach to the airbrush looks awesome. You got me very interested so I went to google about it. Looks like this brush had 2 different nozzles which works with the same needle. I also found few spares can be still bought. I found nozzle:
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Rotring-Airbrush-Spares.html

I don't get it why more manufactures don't make design like this...

The design dates back to the mid-1940's as the Conopois. The Conopois is a bit smaller in stature in comparison, and almost disappears while in hand - wonderful tools. I ordered a few needles, and a nozzle from Air-craft for the rOtring. They still have the .4 nozzle, but no more .2's , and I am not sure about needles. I have different sized heads and nozzles for one of the Conopois (they use different pieces than the rOtring).

Attachments

• conopois twins1.jpg
    conopois twins1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 31
Gents,
I recently acquired two sets of rOting airbrush in very low price in mint condition (with the model C lack air valve section). I disintegrated them for cleaning and maintenance and realized one strang thing that I could not figure out with my own knowledge. I checked the instruction and there was no answer either. So I come up to ask you for a guidance:
The model C has a square color reservoir which the pipe at the bottom has a significantly smaller diameter than the component to accept it. I just wonder how these two parts are connected securely. Anyone has a suggestion? Thanks in advance~
59d17766ce73cdb58e6ec6a46f498132.jpg

Hi there the only rotring of heard of are the technical pens I have now that are 60 year old from tech school and draw as good as I just got them. Lovely product of coarse German made so I really expect that airbrush is awesome looks fantastic.

Gents,
I recently acquired two sets of rOting airbrush in very low price in mint condition (with the model C lack air valve section). I disintegrated them for cleaning and maintenance and realized one strang thing that I could not figure out with my own knowledge. I checked the instruction and there was no answer either. So I come up to ask you for a guidance:
The model C has a square color reservoir which the pipe at the bottom has a significantly smaller diameter than the component to accept it. I just wonder how these two parts are connected securely. Anyone has a suggestion? Thanks in advance~
View attachment 65843
do you have photo's of just the parts you are asking about? There is a lot to try to guess at looking at the whole kit...

OK, I think I got it now... The stem that slides into the brush body are different diameters between the two heads. Are the O-ring groove on both the same size?

This part... "The model C has a square color reservoir which the pipe at the bottom..." I can't figure out...

Last edited:
do you have photo's of just the parts you are asking about? There is a lot to try to guess at looking at the whole kit...

OK, I think I got it now... The stem that slides into the brush body are different diameters between the two heads. Are the O-ring groove on both the same size?

This part... "The model C has a square color reservoir which the pipe at the bottom..." I can't figure out...
to be accurate, a cylindrical reservoir.there were no O ring grooves at all on both ends. it should be a snug fit and there must be something missing. Evantually I got it right by insertig a section of 6x3mm silicon rubber tube into the body component ( one end with larger diameter). now the color cup can be inseted with very comfortable tightness

I am interested in your conclusions with the rotring I have been keeping an eye out for one for a while, the smooth ogave shape and how it may affect the turbulent flow around the paint nozzle or create laminar flow, and their idea of needle protection and the reasons for the shape of that very detailed paint nozzle I find the whole design an idea that should have been further explored

I am interested in your conclusions with the rotring I have been keeping an eye out for one for a while, the smooth ogave shape and how it may affect the turbulent flow around the paint nozzle or create laminar flow, and their idea of needle protection and the reasons for the shape of that very detailed paint nozzle I find the whole design an idea that should have been further explored

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to you - life has been eventful. In regard to the head system - other than cosmetic differences, the internal structures handle air and flow much the same as more conventional designs. Replacement nozzles have been made by H&S, and are not terribly different than say, Hansa or Efbe nozzles.

In terms of function, the brush produces a very fine atomization - but, not the finest lines I have ever seen. It also has a tendency to want to roll to one side while in hand. I feel like I fight the air hose much more on this brush than a more traditional configuration. I find that I actually prefer the older, Conopois configuration of this design. It is smaller, more compact in hand, and feels much more neutral/easier to handle. Interesting brush. Thrilled to have it as part of my collection, but it would not be one I would grab first to stat a days work.

Valued advice is worth the wait.
Thanks Dave as always concise and insightful and I get what you mean about the the air hose, traditionally we use our index finger to secure the brush vertically and the little and ring fingers to prevent yaw.
Hard to do when you are throttling paint with vertical movements

I love how you all find the coolest airbrushes. I love rOtring technical pencils - use them all the time - and of course their airbrush has a cool design. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for one olin the future.

Back