2K clear coat

Ronald art

Air-Valve Autobot!
the CV19 made impossible to have my work clear coated by a pro in a spray booth so I had to come up with something that I could spray with out a spray booth and I found this product
DSCN1654 (2).JPG
it can be sprayed with temperatures round or above 20 C degrees and it is dries within an hour
I know no one should spray this stuff without protection or with out a spray booth but these are strange times and I made sure I had all the right gear to protect myself and a well ventilated room to spray in
all I needed to know what the trick behind a good clear coat is and my friend filled me in on that trick :D
all went perfect till the last wet coat : my regulator started to leak air and pressure and I ended up with a mild orange peel but I had to sand the clear coat any way as there is a micro flake in the base paint so I didnt mind
the clear coat was indeed dry after an hour and it said it was ready for cut and buff after 1.5 hour so I waited 2 hours to be on the safe side and sanded all imperfections out and it is now ready for the final coats
I should have about 3 to 4 days before this clear is fully hardened and temps will stay round the 20 degrees

the regulator is now fixed and I am happy to have found a 2K clear I can work with

That's great it worked out for you. I am looking for a clear coat to use and not positive if I can use the Eastwood 2 part clear coat in my Iwata Neo TRN2? Would it be too heavy? Thanks in advance.

That's great it worked out for you. I am looking for a clear coat to use and not positive if I can use the Eastwood 2 part clear coat in my Iwata Neo TRN2? Would it be too heavy? Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t run the High Solids clear through an airbrush, but it doesn’t mean you can’t. There’s nothing to say you can’t run a 2k through an airbrush, but if it’s a good idea or not from a finish point of view depends on what you’re wanting to put it on.
On a 11” x16” panel, the cone pattern of the airbrush makes it very hard to overlap correctly and the tiny nozzle doesn’t throw out enough material to allow the paint to flow out. On a model car the airbrush would do fine. The clear coat may well need some more reducer too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I am painting a vintage singer sewing machine. I used a good auto 2 part base paint which went on very well! So far so good. Now I need to put on the decals and then clear coat. I have a can of the 2K spray but am worried it won't go on as smoothly as the paint did. That gun gives you so much control. I have a few pieces of the machine that are separate for the time being so I will experiment on those first. Thanks again.

No problem Pottsie. If you’re going for a high gloss finish the amount of material down can make a difference. The more clear on, the more you can sand and polish. You may be surprised by the rattle can, Ive had some good results with a 2k rattle can.
But you had the best idea with experimenting and seeing which you prefer.

8422a6640d4206e2f903e2a3564ad2b8.jpg
This is where I want to end up! I might try the 2K rattle can first. I need to but on the decals before the clear coat. Thanks for you input!!!

Back