Absolute - total-n00b needs advice please

Thank you so much

As someone starting out, not even knowing if they'll succeed or not, would you suggest I stay away from the Chinese clones? Or do they offer much in the way of value vs longevity?

A lot of the things I have are Chinese and while some consider them inferior, generally I don't.

The rest of the information is gold thank you, I'll get that orizle compressor ordered now thanks.

That website, for the paint has so much incredible information on it, again, thank you
No problem Mike, help is what we’re all here for. Most of what I’ve learned has been from the good folks on this forum, so I’m just paying it forward man.
I totally get you wondering about the knock off brushes, my advice is that there are a lot of factors that have an effect on simply getting paint to spray from an airbrush in a controllable fashion. When there are problems as a beginner you start trying to figure out where the problem is and wonder if it’s the brush, the technique, pressure, paint, amount of reducer etc. Having a quality brush at least takes that one variable away. I started with a very cheap Chinese brush. It worked ok, but the difference when I upgraded to an Iwata Eclipse was crazy! Of course it didn’t make me a better painter overnight, but it was so much easier to use and when I had issues at least I knew it was something I was doing rather than brush failure alone LOL.
That’s only my opinion Buddy. A super cheap brush will definitely get you going, but a quality brush will last and retain a decent second hand value if you ever choose to change it or move it on.

Agree with Simon. Some chinese knock offs even make a good addition to your arsenal after some tuning, problem is when getting started its much better to not have to doubt your equipment.
Trying to learn on one when you dont know how a good brush is supposed to act is just going in blind.
The mr. hobby line is every bit as good quality wise as Iwata and could save you $50 or so if cash is tight , but they basically start out at hp+ equivalents. Not as bulletproof as an eclipse.

I started with a couple of generic brushes and while they weren't great they did teach me a lot.... especially about how to tear them down and clean them lol.
They proved to me that airbrushing was something that I wanted to continue with so it was worth the small investment.
Maybe take robbies suggestion of the 'Mr.Hobby' line of brushes (with the .5 needle set up if you want to shoot metallic) it will be a step up from a generic brush, it will give you a feel for how this airbrushing thing works and will teach you a lot.
Many have a long term airbrushing journey that have never had an Iwata, there are alternatives out there

Pretty much any inline moisture trap will do. For an airbrush running on a compressor like that ,theyre somewhat rarely actually needed. Mostly just cheap insurance for those few times you push it hard enough that moisture would build beyond what the tank sorts out.

In my haste I popped this into the entirely wrong thread. Husky gleefully pointed out my error so now we have 'take 2'
upload_2019-7-9_10-1-1-png.59740

Ah OK thank you

So if this is the compressor, how do I know the size of the water trp fitting for example?

Screenshot_20190709-105702_eBay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also :)

Can you use an airbrush compressor such as the above to blast Air onto keyboard etc to clear dust? It'd save a bomb on compressed air cans :)

Back