Adapter for can of propellant?

R

Ruth Jalife

Hello!! Thank you for taking your time to read me :)

I am going to buy a paasche TG Talon, but I can’t afford a compressor right now (if I do well on business later I might). I saw another paasche airbrush, a very basic one, that came with an adapter for the propellant cans but the one I intend to buy doesn’t come with it.

Is there a way to buy only the adapter?. Because the basic airbrush that I saw came with it, won’t do what I need, I need the double action.

If there’s a way to get the adapter, could you help me know how can I look for it? How is it called? I wouldn’t like to buy both airbrushes just for the adapter on the cheap one!

Thank you very much!!

Have to agree with Husky and Base on this. Get a small compressor with a tank at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. They're likely noisy, but they will be much better than the cans in terms of controlling air pressure as well as cost. I started out with those Propel cans a very long time ago and learned the lesson. Each can is cheaper than a compressor, but those cans don't last long and you'll eventually need a lot of them. Cost will add up quickly.

Thanks a lot for answering, huskey, base and hellbird!!
See the thing is very weird, I live in Mexico City and for some reason the cans are like about two dollars, and the compressors are about two hundred!! It’s a huge difference I can’t afford! But I won’t ignore your advise, let me ask you, if any compressor would work, would I still need to buy an adaptor or something?
And just in case it becomes urgent for me to use the cans (for any wall art project with stencils, were pressure won’t be an issue) how can I find the adapter from the airbrush to the can?
And if I buy those compressors you are telling me from Home Depot, do they need some more equipment to run with my airbrush or is it just the airbrush and that compressor?

Thank you very much for taking your time to read my thread!!!

Ps. I went ahead and introduced myself so there you can see what kind of projects I intend to do with the airbrush!!

if you dont mind loud compressors any compressor will do with the right set up for the airbrush hose and a water trap is a must have I am sure other will get you started with the right set up and there are threads on here how to build your own airbrush compressor

let me ask you, if any compressor would work, would I still need to buy an adaptor or something?

you need this/ goes on an airbrush(need to be the right one):
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrush-Quick-Connect-Tails.html
than you need this/ goes on a hose(need to be the right one for quick connect tail):
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrush-Quick-Connects.html
quick connect is not a must, but I would kill my self without it...
then you need this:
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Compressor-Regulator-Training/dp/B001BJFHAW
Warning, it is just an example. I don't have a clue about those little compressors, but guys here know stuff so they can steer you in the right direction.

I noticed in your introduction you also doing cloth. If you plan to spray on t-shirts and stuff, then you need a tank. Or you will destroy compressor in a heartbeat. For shirts you need to look for something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-5510SE-5-5-Gallon/dp/B00NOSCDPA
this is just an example.

You can use loud compressor which is cheaper if you can bare the noise or you have long hose...

There's another option if you know some welder with experience. Finding somewhere in a garbage an old compressor from a fridge and mount it to the airtank.

compressor from a fridge:

here is how it looks with a tank:

I know you would like to hear advices for cans, but like you noticed everybody is steering you away from cans to compressor. :D

Thanks Husky you are very very kind!!
I didn’t know it was going to be this complicated :(. I thought it would be easier to learn by myself, that’s why I’m afraid to buy the compressor because if I dont learn how to handle it I wouldn’t have lost that much of money! I gladly appreciate every tip you are giving me and I most certainly will look for a compressor now!
I will let you know whenever I get one and show you my projects!!!
Thank you very much!!

I thought it would be easier to learn by myself, that’s why I’m afraid to buy the compressor because if I dont learn how to handle it I wouldn’t have lost that much of money!
You just turn it on and off. And drain water from it after you done. That's it. But you need to set hose and connectors the right way. After that, it is easy.

when I started with the airbrush I didnt own a special compressor just a big loud garage compressor I fitted a the right quick release to it and an extra water trap it worked perfect but the noise when it kicked in was way to loud and I nearly dropped the airbrush every time it started

Compressors will win out over a compressed air can everytime with the exception of being very portable.

I'm on the other side of the world, so i'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the US plugs/power supplies are the same in Mexico or not, but this is what i would be looking for if I were you. Both have tanks and will not overheat as quick as one without a tank

If you dont want to get a loud garage style compressor then these may be more suitable
(just a guide only, you will probably find something very similar locally to avoid any potential costly freight / customs charges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-M...9871802?hash=item2c757fd0ba:g:T5oAAOSwX~dWrSm- (includes hose, moisture trap) This will be working at its limits if you are doing fabric painting and may overheat because its trying to keep up.

This would be my preference, it will handle any airbrush and possible a small spraygun

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-EC...082881?hash=item48b1b52081:g:kgAAAOSwuixbeNCs

Hoses are cheap and readily available.

Last edited:
That's why you joined us. People here are very friendly, just don't be scared to ask.
Thanks a lot!!! You are indeed really friendly and I appreciate a lot all of the time you took to help me! Better than most art schools and certainly more patient!!!

when I started with the airbrush I didnt own a special compressor just a big loud garage compressor I fitted a the right quick release to it and an extra water trap it worked perfect but the noise when it kicked in was way to loud and I nearly dropped the airbrush every time it started

Hahah sometimes I feel like a child I have never even heard of compressors until I began looking for air brushes. I actually wouldn’t know why people own them besides air brushing. I’m sure that when I buy one I will look for one special for airbrushing since I wouldn’t use it for something else. But thanks a lot for the tip!! It’s appreciated!! :)

Compressors will win out over a compressed air can everytime with the exception of being very portable.

I'm on the other side of the world, so i'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the US plugs/power supplies are the same in Mexico or not, but this is what i would be looking for if I were you. Both have tanks and will not overheat as quick as one without a tank

If you dont want to get a loud garage style compressor then these may be more suitable
(just a guide only, you will probably find something very similar locally to avoid any potential costly freight / customs charges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-M...9871802?hash=item2c757fd0ba:g:T5oAAOSwX~dWrSm- (includes hose, moisture trap) This will be working at its limits if you are doing fabric painting and may overheat because its trying to keep up.

This would be my preference, it will handle any airbrush and possible a small spraygun

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-EC...082881?hash=item48b1b52081:g:kgAAAOSwuixbeNCs

Hoses are cheap and readily available.
Thanks a lot!!! I will certainly check these out!! I will let you know if I buy one of these. You are all very nice on this forum I really appreciate all of your help!

Thanks a lot!!! I will certainly check these out!! I will let you know if I buy one of these. You are all very nice on this forum I really appreciate all of your help!

because you will likely be painting on fabric, it will be at a higher pressure than someone doing artwork.
Look at an Iwata HP-CS airbrush or similar, It will work well for 99% of what you are currently doing.

And we enjoy helping people, it saves them money in the long term

because you will likely be painting on fabric, it will be at a higher pressure than someone doing artwork.

Sorry let me understand. Do I need more pressure or less? And why?
Also I read that the passche im trying to buy you can control the pressure and that. You still wouldn’t recommend it?

Back